News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: smbdis.asm is wrong!  (Read 1471 times)

Yoshimaster96

• View Profile
smbdis.asm is wrong!
« on: June 30, 2018, 09:04:48 pm »
Trying to compile Super Mario Bros using the SMBDIS assembly and ASM6 results in an error stating that the label "MushLExit" is undefined (it actually just gives a line number, but that seems to be the problem).

Second, after adding the label where it should be (in front of the RTS instruction in PullyRopeObject, from what I can gather), the resulting PRG ROM is 2 bytes too short.

Third, after adding a .org $FFFA statement before the interrupt vectors, the game works (at least the first two levels which I played), but is not the same as the original game. HxD reveals that there are thousands of differences.

These issues should probably be fixed.

Trax

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
Re: smbdis.asm is wrong!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 01:22:21 am »
We know that this disassembly has been in the wild for a long time, so maybe it was based on another version of the ROM. Maybe a corrupted one. Is there any hash that could confirm this?

Eden.GT

• Hardcore SMB1 Player and Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 11:30:54 pm »
We know that this disassembly has been in the wild for a long time, so maybe it was based on another version of the ROM. Maybe a corrupted one. Is there any hash that could confirm this?

Super Mario Bros. (Japan, USA).nes
CRC:          D445F698
SHA-1:        FACEE9C577A5262DBE33AC4930BB0B58C8C037F7
PRG-ROM:      32k
CHR-ROM:      8k
Is the pool clean?

Yoshimaster96

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 01:46:22 pm »
Nevermind, I used a different smbdis.asm assuming the one on RHDN was the same. That fixes problems 1 and 2, but the ROM is still different. Possibly the routines are in a different order?