News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: SMB Title Screen fix - Help!  (Read 474 times)

toxic9

• View Profile
SMB Title Screen fix - Help!
« on: June 27, 2018, 04:59:08 pm »
Hi friends!

I'm new to the hacking scene!
I would like to have on my collection the Red Wii pre-installed version of Super Mario Bros (25th Anniversary).

I can't find this rom anywhere (Pal Europe version), neither the wad files of the pre-installed channel to extract the rom.
So I just found a sollution: to hack the rom and make it identical to the 25th anniversary one!

The only differences between this version and the original are:
- The ? block now says "25"
- The title screen instead of "(c)1985 NINTENDO" now it says "(c)1985-2010 NINTENDO"

I just changed the blocks successfully.
And I changed the title screen almost successfully. The only problem is that some letters are on a different colour. I think it's because the rom size is bigger than the original. I think it's impossible to make it fit the original size, because there is no space left to insert more text, since we have to add the "-2010" text (5 characters).

Can anyone help me how to fix this?

Thanks!

Eden.GT

• Hardcore SMB1 Player and Hacker
    • View Profile
Re: SMB Title Screen fix - Help!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 11:28:11 pm »
Without needing to expand the ROM, you may need this:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/263117905036574720/424108235788779530/SMBTitleChanger.exe

"Anti-viruses may detect it as a false positive. You'll need the saved title data from STE.exe (from the second button) so it can insert it in. As the tools detects, beware that some graphical data (starting from the last non-data CHR-ROM tiles) may be turned into title screen compressed data, and so can no longer be used, depending on how complex the title screen arrangement is." -My exact post from a couple months ago

It may overwrite one of the coral tiles, but if you look closely, there's a repeated tile in SMB you can use (not many people know about this) :

Drag the coral tile onto the additional tile, and then you can rearrange the coral background tile pointer via SMBED (https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/479/).

lilpuddy31

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 04:51:54 pm »
You can't find the rom because a 25th anniversary pal version of the rom never exiested.  It was released on Red Japanese Wiis. Red Pal Wiis got Donkey Kong Original Edition. Nonetheless, you didn't look very hard, check your PMs.

toxic9

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 03:15:58 am »
I looked very hard, believe me. The one you can find on google is not 100% = 25th anniversary edition.
It does not have the title screen mod. It only has the 25 blocks.

I want to make my own 25th anniversary edition with the blocks and the title screen mod.
The suggestion of the other post doesn't work. It will make the title screen all green with only a square spot with correct colours.

I think this title screen mod will require more space than the original. And as there is no "blank" space for it on the original rom, I don't care for rom size! I'm only trying to find a perfect solution.
Any other suggestion? With rom size increasing?

Thanks

Thanks

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 04:23:29 pm »
GoodNES V3.23b has this file:

Super Mario Bros. - 25th Anniversary (J-VC) [a1].nes

which has the "-2010" bit, and the 25 blocks. So what you're trying to do has already been done. :)

Of course it's not in PAL, but it would be pretty trivial to change the PAL SMB to match.

Sigh, I'm going to have to do this, aren't I...  ::)

EDIT: and, in less than ten minutes, it is done. :D
http://s346165667.websitehome.co.uk/psyktrans/smb25-pal.ips
Just compared the 25th version with the World version, then copied over those bytes to the PAL version. Use the following ROM.
GoodNES: Super Mario Bros. (E) (REVA) [!].nes
Sorry if I took away your first hacking opportunity. :)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 04:32:47 pm by Psyklax »

toxic9

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 10:57:54 am »
Yes, you just screwed my 1st attempt to hack smb! But at least it's perfect now!

Thanks you so much =)
Awesome!

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 06:45:56 pm »
I don't care for rom size! I'm only trying to find a perfect solution.
Any other suggestion? With rom size increasing?
Thanks
If you plan to make more ROM hacks then you do need to care about the ROM size. You can't just add a few bytes, console games, especially NES, don't work like that. Expanding on the NES is an advanced skill that is generally only useful to those whose are also of advanced skill level.
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 09:49:14 pm »
Wasn't this already officially released in Australia?

toxic9

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 03:32:31 am »
I know rom size has their own standards, but since I will not use it on the real hardware, I could disrespect rom size rules! Also I know not all Nes roms are not 40.976 bytes long. Some are larger than that. So I thought you could increase it with no problems.

And I though it was not possible to insert something on a rom with no blank space left, without increasing its size. Anyway I don't know how they achieved this. Maybe they removed something no one will notice? Or maybe there's a way "compact" data..?

I'm almost sure this was released on Pal on Australia. I think I read that somewhere on my research =)

But there's another weird thing. After I replace the last offsets of the Pal rom with the hacked 25th bytes, Nestopia now shows NTSC on rom info, although it runs as Pal. Very weird! I can't find the offset where it read this info, so I change the flag.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 11:58:05 am »
I know rom size has their own standards, but since I will not use it on the real hardware, I could disrespect rom size rules! Also I know not all Nes roms are not 40.976 bytes long. Some are larger than that. So I thought you could increase it with no problems.

Nope, that's not how it goes. :) You must respect the rules, young man! :D

It's true that not all ROMs are 40KB, but that's because they use bank switching. The NES has 32KB of address space dedicated to ROM access, so if you add ten bytes after that 32KB, how is the NES going to see it? It can't.

Games get around this by using hardware in cartridges to change which bits of the ROM are accessible to the CPU, but it has to do it in banks of 4KB, 8KB, 16KB - hence the term "bank switching". They can't load a few bytes after that bank, it just doesn't work. Hardware or not, an emulator won't work that way either.

And as for "increasing with no problem"... well, first you need a game with a mapper that allows for bank switching - so not SMB. Then you need to know how the game switches banks, and change the code to switch banks when you want it to. Trust me - that is not easy. :D

The 25th patch just replaces some bytes, but I don't know the details because it took me literally five minutes to do.

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2018, 09:05:34 pm »
Usually NES graphics are uncompressed, and not protected by an checksum.
All Nintendo had to do with the question blocks is redraw the existing art.

Updating the title screen copyright info is trickier, I presume it involves changing the tile mapping to tell the game to display more letters. (without messing up the colors of other tiles, which you've experienced here)

I don't know if the Australian ROM is based on the NTSC or PAL version of the original game.