News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy 2 Soul of Rebirth for NES  (Read 547 times)

someone_92

• View Profile
Final Fantasy 2 Soul of Rebirth for NES
« on: July 13, 2018, 01:23:38 pm »
Hi, I'm new on the forum and I would like to ask something. I have never done a hack and I want to know if it would be hard to make the Soul of Rebirth of GBA / PSP Final Fantasy II to the NES version?

I have programming skills and I'm a computer enginer.

Mister Xiado

• Back from the dead, mostly.
    • View Profile
    • The Homepage of the Oldternet
Re: Final Fantasy 2 Soul of Rebirth for NES
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 05:27:02 pm »
Editing graphics: variable difficulty based on artistic sense
Editing text: variable difficulty based on mastery of language, programming skill allowing additional data to be added
Editing game mechanics: high difficulty based on ability to reprogram existing information

It would be an appreciated project, to be sure, but I recommend starting small and working your way up. A chain of small victories can establish a bulwark against disappointment and failure.
Current project: (none)
The Homepage of the Oldternet - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
Youtube

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy 2 Soul of Rebirth for NES
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 12:08:04 am »
Hacking the NES graphics into the GBA game is probably more doable.
I remember reading the FC didn't have enough room to get all the text the devs wanted in Japanese into the game, letting alone adding in the text and additional gameplay of a modern expansion.
Also note that FF2 is already using the maximum ROM size its mapper waz designed for. You might be able to get as far as doubling it if you want to hack it to a slightly different mapper.
But, just being honest, the dufficulty level on that is the "if you have to ask, you probably can't do it" advanced level.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018