News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: A good game to hack after years of SMW?  (Read 1004 times)

Gamma V

• The Female Hacker
    • View Profile
    • SMW Central
A good game to hack after years of SMW?
« on: June 27, 2018, 05:35:48 am »
I've been hacking Super Mario World on and off since 2006.  I'm currently more than halfway through my current project in terms of completed Worlds, and while I have no intention of canceling it, I feel that it may be time that I try hacking other games, either once the SMW hack is finished, or when I'm in need of a side-project.

The main appeal of SMW hacking is that it's extremely easy, and this extends beyond the incredibly user-friendly Lunar Magic, which allows you to edit levels, palettes, graphics, and the Overworld map.  Tools used to do things such as add custom music and ASM-based assets are also very easy to use.

Beyond Super Mario World, I've dabbled a bit in hacking the Genesis Sonic games, specifically Sonic 2, and have managed to complete a hack, even if it can be a bit mediocre.  I've found SonLVL, the latest editor for these games, to be about as close to Lunar Magic in terms of user-friendliness as one can currently get for the Sonic games.  Music hacking was also fairly simple, and I created most of the music in my Sonic 2 hack.  Beyond that, though, there's a bit of a learning curve to other things, most likely because the Sonic scene has adopted split disassemblies as opposed to editing ROMs directly.

Prior to posting this, I tried SMB Utility for a bit, and while it seems pretty straightforward to use, SMB1 doesn't seem as flexible in terms of what can be done to a level.  I have yet to discover how to add or remove objects or if that's even possible.

Here are some games I've thought of:
SMB3: I've kinda been interested in hacking this since playing Super Mario Bros. 3Mix.

Sonic 1: This MIGHT be easier over all than Sonic 2.  There are more resources out there for it in terms of ASM hacks and the like.

Kirby's Adventure: I love this game, and KALE looks pretty user-friendly and Lunar Magic-like based on the one screenshot I saw.

Super Mario Land: I took a look at LandForger, and it looks pretty simple.  Haven't actually tried it yet though.

Super Mario Land 2: This is another favorite game of mine.  If I were to do this one, would MarCas or another editor be better for me?

TLDR: Which game should I try next?
Dr. Gates: It's a safe bet those doors are locked.
Optimus Prime: Fortunately, I have a delicate lock-picking technique.  *blasts the door open*

werewolfslayr925

• View Profile
Re: A good game to hack after years of SMW?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 06:33:43 pm »
Kirby's Adventure needs more hacks, even if they're "mere" level hacks. I would love to test play them for you if you need it :3
As the harbor is welcome to the sailor, so is the last line to the scribe.

- complaint in the margin of a medieval manuscript

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 07:15:19 pm »
Kirby's Adventure needs more hacks, even if they're "mere" level hacks. I would love to test play them for you if you need it :3
I think there'd be more incentive to hack it if there's a standalone patch that disables flying. Maybe that's just me.

Gamma V

• The Female Hacker
    • View Profile
    • SMW Central
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 07:03:06 am »
If hacking Kirby's Adventure, I wouldn't patch out flight, but I've seen it done.  Leaving it in would create more level design options.
Optimus Prime: Fortunately, I have a delicate lock-picking technique.  *blasts the door open*

J^P

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 01:15:53 pm »
I think there'd be more incentive to hack it if there's a standalone patch that disables flying. Maybe that's just me.
Disabling flying is just one byte change via hex editor.
That said KALE/kirbys adventure editor is tedious to work with(reason why I never finished my KA hack).

There are plenty other level editors for various, popular and obscure games but barely any hacks for them, like for example mario 2 finally got decent editor but nothing has come out of it yet. Mr Gimmick! also has excellent editor which has been out for years but theres only 1-2 hacks made by it.

Gamma V

• The Female Hacker
    • View Profile
    • SMW Central
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 01:21:21 am »
I've had some decent success just messing around with SMB3 Workshop, enough to say that the one level I made might turn into at least a "level collection" mini-hack.  I posted a video of it on the video thread, but it couldn't hurt to re-post it here.

Here it is.  I even did some graphical edits, something I frequently do in SMW.

ultimaweapon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2018, 09:36:11 am »
A game that's not on your list. Sonic 3 w/ Sonic & Knuckles. If you're into fighting games, Eternal Champions.
Trust in the Heart of the Cards

bogaabogaa

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2018, 03:09:05 am »
You could also try Super Castlevania IV. I created some resources that will help with graphic editing. Also if you like to do custom events and bosses this could be quiet a challenge to figure out how. Music is decompressed and there are some addresses but this is also new land to discover. A lot is been found but by far not everything. Here some info if you are interested. https://tinyurl.com/yanl3sge

peixemacaco

• 70 65 69 78 65 6d 61 63 61 63 6f
    • View Profile
    • Old peixemacaco site found
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2018, 07:22:02 am »
Searching only for a Super Nes Game to hack? ::)

I had a job to offer, no money, but pleasure guaranteed fot a Mega Drive/Genesis Game...

Forget to say! It`s the classic Super Monaco GP! We want to change driver`s pictures as the user Tag_2015 have done with the sequel ASMGP2 , but i can` contact him...

It`s a hack, if we have success, will be recognized by the (big) people fans of this one.

As you can see in this topic below, i`d corrected all team colors and now all guardrails of the tracks with colors of the countries, and i can correct 80% of the texts, except the ones based on image.

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=25071.msg350802#msg350802

Thank you,
Nelson
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 07:55:05 am by peixemacaco »
Super Monaco GP... It garnered an at-the-time unprecedented 10–10–9–9 rating from Electronic Gaming Monthly's Review and wasn`t a F Indy title.

Graw

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2018, 10:24:56 pm »
Super Metroid has a large hacking community around it, a ton of resources and a few great editors with lots of features.

The metroid hacking community at:

http://metroidconstruction.com/

are a great, friendly group of people with a lot of knowledge and enthusiasm towards people interested in hacking metroid.

Plus, I love that game and would love to see more high quality hacks for it from seasoned ROM hackers.  ;D

NERV Agent

• Fist deep into that honey pot....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2018, 02:20:03 am »
There is only 3 hacks for "Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World". Maybe you should try breaking new ground and do a mind-blowing thorough graphics hack of that game?
Pen Pen Toblerone Vomit Pooh is waifu of the year.