News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: su conjugating shi  (Read 741 times)

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
su conjugating shi
« on: June 19, 2018, 03:44:01 am »
I'm translating a sentence:

だいばくはつをおこし、てきにだいダメージをあたえる。     
A large explosion occurs and inflicts major damage to the enemy. (I edited this to be more accurate)

I believe this is the meaning. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

My question has to do with the grammar that is happening here:
爆発を起こす -> 爆発を起こし、

This strikes me as the "and" shi, but it's odd how it's used with the "す" verb. Does anyone know what's going on here specifically?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 09:13:40 pm by filler »

• View Profile
Re: su conjugating shi
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 06:58:26 am »
that's just the masu stem of the verb 起こす, the す at the end becomes し. this is basically used to say "first this thing happens (the verb that is inflected this way), then this (what comes after the verb)". this can be done with any kind of verb, obviously they won't all end in し, since not all of them end in す.
by the way, 起こす is a transitive verb, the subject is causing something to happen, so it'd be more like "Produces a large explosion, inflicting major damage to the enemy". you could say an explosion "occurs" if it were 起こる.
Discord: 730#8471

filler

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 04:21:49 pm »
Makes sense. Thanks!

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 01:37:58 am »
Most of my time these days has been studying kanji and I wonder ed about this sort of thing.
Some verbs where it lists endings with -su and -shi. I wonder if there is a common connection.
So any verb that just ends with the masu stem is this?

I think what my dictionary says on conjugation for "alternate" (tari) is to say a "this or that" action, yes?

I understand -eru is transitive (like aku is for an open door while akeru is for the opening action). Is -aru, and -asu mean anything in particular?
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

filler

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 04:02:51 am »
I don't fully understand your questions, but I'd recommend looking up "ru" and "u" verbs, and the conjugation rules for them. All Japanese verbs are in these two categories aside from the irregular verbs "suru" and "kuru". I guess there might be some more irregular verbs, but it sounds like they aren't really used.

I don't know if there are firm rules for transitive/intransitive pairs (to clarify after skimming that article, no there are not), but if you search there are some rules-of-thumb you can find places like this: https://kawakawalearningstudio.com/language/japanese/need-know-japanese-transitive-intransitive-verbs/

As for my specific question, I found the same question answered here: https://japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/17930/what-is-the-meaning-of-masu-stem-proposition