News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Mega Man X6 Tweaks (v2.0, now with Retranslation)  (Read 113574 times)

Cupshadow

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X6 Tweaks (v2.0, now with Retranslation!)
« Reply #460 on: September 19, 2019, 10:40:34 pm »
I just made gate hittable at some point and reduce whole damage to 1(not including the question mark one) but for some reason it still deals same damage afaik. Dunno why

Maybe it's just me i guess but idk

Metalwario64

• View Profile
« Reply #461 on: September 20, 2019, 11:39:46 pm »
As far as translation goes, the only potential quibble I have so far is right before Zero fights Yammark, Alia says "I hope it doesn't come to that, but be ready for battle."

I'm not super proficient in grammar (but I was good enough throughout school back in the day), it's just that "come to that" seems to me to imply an already mentioned idea, but I personally feel it should be "come to this" instead, since she's using that statement to lead into her point. Am I outright mistaken, or are both forms simply okay to use in this manner?

If it's perfectly acceptable and I have just some misguided preconception about this then I apologize.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 02:40:10 am by Metalwario64 »

injoon84

• View Profile
« Reply #462 on: September 21, 2019, 07:55:09 am »
Ok, this is original character's name color.
Light blue = X
Orange    = Zero
Pink          = Alia / Shield Sheldon
Dark blue = Signas / Wolfang
Yellow      = Douglas / Blaze Heatnix / Ground Scaravich / High Max
Green      = Hunters / Dr. Light / Commander Yammark / Rainy Turtloid / Infinity Mijinion
Purple      = Intro scene ??? for Zero / Isoc / Metal Shark Player / Nightmare Zero / Dynamo / Gate / Sigma

Aside than the character's name color, additional checking on grammar and punctuation is only base on my standard.
It may not be right so you can totally ignore it. See what you think fit.

Cutscene playing with X:

[Gate's discovery]
Gate:
- The collision had been prevented, they said...
   ...But look at this. In the end, it made no difference.
(> "They said the collision had been prevented... ...but")
- It's... debris. Did some violent battle take place here?
("debris." > "a debris.")
- I wonder many people... how many Reploids lost their lives here...
(> "I wonder how many humans and Reploids lost their lives here?")
- To hell with the goody-two-shoes facade... this is amazing!
("this" > "This")
- I can do it. I WILL do it! I will create an utopia only for Reploids...
  ...an utopia where I shall reign supreme!
("...an" > "...An")

[Isoc's speech]
Signas:
- The Nightmare... it's going to be a dangerous mission,
("it's" > "It's" or "is")
(The rest should be alright. Just that some of the sentences is long using "," as support.)

[X defeated the 1st Investigator]
(Checked. Should be ok.)

[X meets Zero]
Zero (pink):
- I had to lay low till my auto-repair systems had me fully patched up.
  ...seems this "other me" made a real mess in the meantime, though.
("seems" > "...Seems")

[X defeated High Max]
Isoc:
- Hnnnggg... even High Max has been... argh! We have no choice, we must withdraw!
(> "Hnnnggg... Even High Max has been... Argh! We have no choice. We must withdraw!")
Signas (yellow):

[Alia explains Nightmare Souls]
Alia:
- It's still too early to make any conclusions, but...
("conclusions" need "s"?)
- This is the Nightmare's true purpose. It's not meant to destroy Reploids...
  ...it's meant to control them.
("...it's" > "...It's"?)
- The Investigators... they looked a little different back then,
("they" > "They"?)
- Since way back then, when he and I were in the Reploid Research Team...
  Every Reploid he created was off the charts.
("Every" to "...every")
- All of his works yielded results that led to scientific breakthroughs at the time.
(The sentence need "s" or not?)
- Until eventually, through several staged accidents...
  ...one by one, all of Gate's Reploids were disposed of.
  ...And although I was just following orders, I took part in this too.
("...one by one," > "...One by one,"?)
("disposed of." > "disposed."?)
("...And although" > "Although")
- He was leagues beyond me... I could never even dream of reaching his level.
  ...but since I was the one who followed orders, I went up the ranks instead.
(> "...But")
X:
- He should be helping Reploids at times like these, not killing them!
("these" > "this"?)

[Gate invites X]
Gate (light blue):

[X meets Gate]
Gate:
- You managed to get him this far... seems you've surpassed me once again, Alia.
(> "Seems")
- ...that's why my abilities didn't get the recognition they deserved.
(> "...That's")

[X defeated Gate]
(This part has too many ellipsis. You better check it yourself but I'll show you some of what I meant.)
Gate:
- Ugh... even with Zero's DNA... I still couldn't win?
  No... hnng... It was too advanced to understand... for me to understand...
(Those after "..." need capital for some?)
- ...to think such an ancient program... c-could have outsmarted me...
(> "...To"?)
- But... ugh... this isn't over yet!
(And many more. T-T Too many ellipsis... )
Sigma (pink):
(Also plenty of ellipsis. Please check it yourself.)
X:
And, there's no signal, either... what the hell is this?
(> "What")

[Epilogue with only X]
Alia:
- X... why did you bring Gate here?
(> "Why"?)
- X... yeah. Yeah, you're right!
(> "Yeah."?)
X:
- ...no, it's nothing, I'm okay. Besides...
  Now Sigma's back, we must be on our guard.
(> "...No, it's nothing. I'm okay. Besides...")
(> "...now")
Zero (pink):

[Epilogue with X and Zero available]
Zero (pink):
- X... what are you gonna do with Gate?
(> "What"?)
Alia:
- Are you two okay? ...oh... is that Gate?
(> "...Oh... is that Gate?")
- No, I am. Thank you, X... this is more than I could ask for.
(> "This")
- I'll dedicate myself to develop a program resistant to any kind of virus...
  ... a program to completely nullify any chance of corruption!
(> "...A")
Douglas (orange but only once):
(Also, please refer back to my earlier post.)

Metalwario64

• View Profile
« Reply #463 on: September 23, 2019, 01:22:24 am »
Here's an up-to-date collection of all of the custom/cleaned up mugshots I made for this project:

I just now realized that Dynamo and Gate's background colors are slightly off. I guess it's no worse than the original in that regard, and it's surely too late to change them now.

At least, I'm mostly happy with how everything turned out.

Now for a bit of a breakdown of noteworthy decisions I made:

I completely reconverted Alia's mugshot from Suetsugu's original art, since it was available in high quality in the X Legacy Collection. The original version had oddly tinted colors and poorly redrawn details like the eyes and neck, while mine is completely true to the original art.

Since there's not much in the way of official art for the Ultimate Armor, I made mine mostly based on Keisuke Mizuno's modern art of it, since Haruki Suetsugu only had two drawings of it in X4, and there are no clear, unobstructed shots of it, let alone the detailed mechanics that can be seen through it. It's basically a bit of Suetsugu in the shoulder shape and the thicker trim around the neck and chest, but I based the crest on his head off of Mizuno's art and the highlights and mechanical details are based around Mizuno's portrayal. I am a bit torn between the heavy highlights, since that's a super Mizuno trait that Suetsugu rarely, if ever did, but without them the black versions of the Ultimate Armor has no real distinction between the shades of black, so the highlights convey a different material and make it clearer where the different segments begin and end.

The first Black Zero and Zero Nightmare mugshot colors are based on the original ones, and the second ones are based on the sprite colors, though my optional Zero Nightmare palette was made based on the original mugshot palette which is simply the red Zero, but hue shifted towards purple. Since the sprite was not done the same way, and instead given it's own shades of purple, I decided to make a sprite palette based on the original mugshot by shifting the hue of the red Zero sprites the same amount as the mugshot (-80 units in GIMP), then cleaning up the colors to look right on the sprite from that point.

Dynamo's was reconverted from the original X5 mugshot, since it somehow had messed up colors and dithering artifacts in the original X6, so even with the BG color flub, it's still a marked improvement.

The first Gate mugshot is just a cleaned up version of the original with more defined facial details, and redrawn animated tiles (they looked very rough in the original, and the blinking eyes didn't line up), and the second version is heavily modified to be symmetrical.

I won't fault Haruki Suetsugu for his drawing here being a bit lopsided, since he was rushed for X6's art (it can be seen throughout most of his pieces, like X having simpler, completely round shoulders and generally less detailed shading and sometimes wonky proportions), but when cropped in a box, having his left shoulder and left side of his face be wider than the left was very noticeable, so I made a custom version that looks perfect when mirrored, just for the sake of looking better in the mugshot.

Lastly, the new Sigma mugshot is a traced version of Suetsugu's X6 art of Sigma that I made (and removed the collar of his cloak that partially covered his face), then filtered to be purple, and overlaid VHS noise on it and made his eyes glow slightly. It's clearer than the original (which was based on the X5 Sigma stage select icon), and still conveys the Sigma Virus feel of the original, while being truer to the established style of Suetsugu throughout the rest of the game.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 01:49:07 am by Metalwario64 »

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #464 on: September 23, 2019, 03:38:17 am »
RC5

Text fixes:
- All typos reported since RC4's release. I hope I got them all.
- All caps after ellipses situations reviewed
- All "!?" changed to "?!"
- Fixed wrong Dynamo dialogue (X, Inami Temple)
- Fixed Gate named "Alia" in Secret Lab 2's cutscene
- Added a few missing armor skills descriptions to Dr. Light dialogues.
- Various minor changes you won't notice...

Hack Bugs fixes:
- Zero having armor defense in intro stage: an oversight on the cheat code 2 caused him to be read as Falcon Armor by the defense and knockback code.
- Gate's damage table, wrong address (modifications will work correctly now)
- Shield Sheldon boss health, wrong address (should fix the freeze on boss rush)
- High Max (Secret Lab) boss health, wrong address (turns out it was modifying the intro stage battle instead...)
- High Max (Hidden Stages) boss health, wrong address (... and THIS was modifying the Secret Lab fight... It's confusing to deal with identical chunks of copy-pasted code...)
- Patcher bug on the "boss health" section that would write values for Blaze Heatnix and High Max (Secret Lab) wrongly
- Patcher bug that caused consecutive patches to write duplicate modifications in the wrong addresses (which creeped into RC4's sample patches, most notably in Stage Mods... to embarrasing results  :-[)
- Incomplete Armors: Shadow Saber speed was linked to Foot Parts instead of Head Parts.
- Missing boss orb sfx: "Boss warning" voice clip option removed, as this was the cause (sfx file was wrongly replaced in the base patches). I might try to add it back in a future update.

Original game Bug fix (?):
- High Max (both fights), the game would set boss fight level AFTER setting the life bar size. So you would actually get the health bar size corresponding to the boss level of the last boss you fought, not High Max current level... It's the only boss what works like this, so I assume it was an oversight and it's now fixed.

Improvements:
- Blade Armor's Mach Dash: When using any of the custom cancelling options, the move would have immunity for it's whole duration instead of just the first few frames. This has been fixed. The immunity range is set to the same value as the original game (about half of the move's length). In the patcher, a separate "immunity" slider has been added, enabled only when selecting any of the custom cancelling options. The "Hold/Release (Unlimited)" option will still run on previous versions' code, and will still be completely immune (because, why not)
- Final touches on several of Metalwario64's mugshots. Default selection in sample profiles has changed.

Known issues:
- Script: On some cutscenes, character names don't have the same colors they have in the original game.
A new text insertion tool is in development, one that should handle name colors automatically, so I'll take care of this sometime in a future update (though I'm really not that bothered by it...)
- Incomplete Armors: Shadow Armor will always have the Buster sound effect and saber color palette from the complete armor, even if the corresponding Parts haven't been collected yet. (No quick fix for this, so it'll just have to stay like this for awhile)

Warning: as the patcher's controls have changed, previous versions' "x6tweaksprofiles" files might not work correctly (unless you update them manually to include changed controls. You can use a fresh "default" file as a template)

Any typos and bug reports are still very much appreciated!

As of today, I'll be entirely focusing on other stuff, so I'll rely on this thread to find any remaining bug/typo that needs to be fixed before I drop this elsewhere. I won't be working on hack suggestions or stylistic changes to the script, just the bare minimum to finish this milestone. You're encouraged to discuss whatever you want though, I'll be reading every comment as always.

For anyone who wants to take a deeper peak on how the changes were made, the updated workbook will be up whenever I officially release v2.0 on RHDN.

September 23, 2019, 03:44:33 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Here's an up-to-date collection of all of the custom/cleaned up mugshots I made for this project:

I'll use that in the first post's highlights...  ;D
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 02:58:21 pm by acediez »

fianovale

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X6 Tweaks (v2.0, now with Retranslation)
« Reply #465 on: September 23, 2019, 10:40:08 am »
Hi! with the RC5 version iam having freezing issues in the intro stage when Hi-Max appears.
Its someone else having this problem?
Excellent work by the way!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 01:49:25 pm by fianovale »

injoon84

• View Profile
« Reply #466 on: September 23, 2019, 11:07:32 am »
Some reports on Tweaks Patcher v2.0 RC5.

The game will have buggy sprite when High Max try to come out in the intro stage. The game will try to load High Max sprite but fail.
I believe you mix up with High Max's life bar again. The suppose correct life bar for High Max is only 32.
Therefore, no matter how you tweaks, you'll never get pass the intro stage.

Central Museum
Hidden Area. X conversation with Alia is broken.
- AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Dynamo conversation still have issue. Just before the battle begins and after the battle ends.
- a (just before the battle begins.)
- X: I've been transported again? But I was in a virtual area already! What's going on? (After battle ends.)

I'm not sure whether still got other bugs or not. I need some time to checked it.
But I'm pretty sure there's still got plenty of issues with ellipsis. I mean capital letter or small letter.

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #467 on: September 23, 2019, 12:55:28 pm »
Thanks for giving it a test so quickly.

RC6
I fixed those two issues for now, the intro stage freeze and Central Museum/Hidden Area text.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 02:58:41 pm by acediez »

Metalwario64

• View Profile
« Reply #468 on: September 23, 2019, 01:05:05 pm »
I also just noticed another problem: X's saber animation is not synced with the saber graphic:

I tried to replicate it in the original, but couldn't. I guess this is a result of the animation timing tweaks?

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #469 on: September 23, 2019, 01:41:42 pm »
Yes, it's because the startup frames are shorter. Final position and cooldown don't cause any problems though, so if it bothers you, you can adjust it in the patcher.
I should probably add a warning note and set the profiles to something that doesn't have this issue, maybe preserving the startup animation and compensate by cutting the cooldown altogether.

DannyPlaysSomeGames

• Wait, this isn't Burger King
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: September 23, 2019, 10:24:43 pm »
So I've been playing with my own custom settings from the patcher. The only issue is that the new hunter icon isn't appearing for me, even if X's position is correct (I'm using the latest version of the patcher I'm pretty sure), but otherwise, it works as intended for the most part (though Alia mentioning the Falcon Armor even when disabled is a bit weird but expected). Solid stuff.
Hey there

fianovale

• View Profile
« Reply #471 on: September 23, 2019, 10:49:14 pm »
in the select stage section if i cancel the character selection then the level icons dissapear

Metalwario64

• View Profile
« Reply #472 on: September 23, 2019, 10:55:42 pm »
So I've been playing with my own custom settings from the patcher. The only issue is that the new hunter icon isn't appearing for me, even if X's position is correct (I'm using the latest version of the patcher I'm pretty sure), but otherwise, it works as intended for the most part (though Alia mentioning the Falcon Armor even when disabled is a bit weird but expected). Solid stuff.
What emulator are you using? It's all working for me.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 12:04:17 am by Metalwario64 »

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #473 on: September 23, 2019, 11:08:40 pm »
The input BIN shouldn’t be an issue, as both the xdelta patches (when using xdeltaUI) and the patcher tool check for a specific hash...

This was reported before (player mugshot on the left, new mugshot on the right completely empty), but I haven’t been able to reproduce it myself. Please try with an updated or different emulator to see if the problem persist, and let me know which one gave you the problem.

Btw, I’m surprised so many of you wanted to straight up remove the Falcon Armor from the game  :laugh:
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 11:18:30 pm by acediez »

Metalwario64

• View Profile
« Reply #474 on: September 24, 2019, 12:00:45 am »
Btw, I’m surprised so many of you wanted to straight up remove the Falcon Armor from the game  :laugh:
When I was a kid, having the previous game's armor at the start was awesome in that "collect them all" type of way, but as an adult, I prefer starting with the basics and building X up, like the previous games in the series, or like Samus in the Metroid games. That's why I love your option of using the two new armors before they're complete (even if the Shadow armor currently has some slight issues) since it evokes the progression of the past Mega Man X games.

I have noticed that the Falcon Armor is still usable even if disabled in the patcher when using the Ultimate Armor cheat. I'm guessing that's just hard coded into that cheat because the default game also sets the Falcon Armor flag when you use the Ultimate Armor.

Would that require too much coding to change that at some point? If so, it's no big deal.

Aceearly1993

• View Profile
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
« Reply #475 on: September 24, 2019, 02:23:18 am »
Hi.
May I ask how to play as Zero in the Intro stage in the MMX6Tweaks 2.0 builds? Does it require several unusual steps (gameshark codes, etc.)?
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

Metalwario64

• View Profile
« Reply #476 on: September 24, 2019, 03:16:52 am »
Hi.
May I ask how to play as Zero in the Intro stage in the MMX6Tweaks 2.0 builds? Does it require several unusual steps (gameshark codes, etc.)?
Just input the original Black Zero code (L1 L1 L1 R2) on the tile screen.

Now the Ultimate Armor code doubles as the Black Zero code.

[EDIT - Had the code backward :p)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 12:12:22 pm by Metalwario64 »

injoon84

• View Profile
« Reply #477 on: September 24, 2019, 04:03:04 am »
Nope. You can't. That's not the way to play Zero in Intro Stage.
From the Tweak Patcher v2.0, you must fulfill 2 criteria.
1) General Tweaks must have unlockables code #2 unlocks Zero from the start, and
2) New Game Status section, you must NOT choose Falcon Armor in Intro Stage.
For safety, better choose normal X and Falcon Armor always available checked.
Load your game. Press start. Highlight GAME START and input (L1 L1 L1 R2).
Done. You'll start the game as Zero.

For me, it's not that I prefer normal X for intro stage but I have to do it this way to have playable Zero in intro stage.

Aceearly1993

• View Profile
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
« Reply #478 on: September 24, 2019, 04:12:53 am »
Just input the original Black Zero code (R1 R1 R1 L2) on the tile screen.

Now the Ultimate Armor code doubles as the Black Zero code.

It doesn't work. The original Black Zero code only makes Zero available by default at stage select screen, not in the Intro stage. Or did I miss some special hooks in the Patcher GUI?

Nope. You can't. That's not the way to play Zero in Intro Stage.
From the Tweak Patcher v2.0, you must fulfill 2 criteria.
1) General Tweaks must have unlockables code #2 unlocks Zero from the start, and
2) New Game Status section, you must NOT choose Falcon Armor in Intro Stage.
For safety, better choose normal X and Falcon Armor always available checked.
Load your game. Press start. Highlight GAME START and input (L1 L1 L1 R2).
Done. You'll start the game as Zero.

For me, it's not that I prefer normal X for intro stage but I have to do it this way to have playable Zero in intro stage.

Thanks for the info. Sounds a bit complex but I'll try these methods.

EDIT: Now it works... Looks like there's something with Falcon Armor that interferes with which character to play as in the Intro stage.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 04:43:37 am by Aceearly1993 »
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

DannyPlaysSomeGames

• Wait, this isn't Burger King
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: September 24, 2019, 09:49:09 am »
What emulator are you using? It's all working for me.

I'm using PCSX ReARMed through RetroArch, maybe that's the issue. I'll try to redownload it alongside Beetle PSX HW.

EDIT: Okay so I redownloaded PCSX ReARMed, but the issue still persisted, and Beetle PSX doesn't even show up when loading content, even though I already downloaded it. I noticed the same with Dr. Light, too, so I don't know what's up with that. But High Max's mugshot was present when I showed up, so it doesn't seem to be a rendering issue. Maybe the patcher didn't dump the graphics correctly due to some conflicting options?

So anyways, I had 3 thoughts in mind for the project:

1. I feel like the main reason Shield Sheldon's stage is so annoying is because of the laser emmiters. Not only are they annoyingly slow and confusing to understand how to move, they also damage you, which kinda knocks you around. I feel like it would be a lot more comfortable if the lasers did no damage (or any sort of stun/knockback), and that you could shoot the lasers to change direction, like the reflection panels. I feel like the level would be a tad less annoying with that, though easier. I think another reason for the stage being annoying is how cramped the stage is, and how obscure the Body part is, so maybe some breathing room would help as well, though that might be stretching a bit.

2. There's literally no reason for the Crane enemies to respawn in Commander Yammark's stage. It adds literally nothing and means nothing as well. Just get rid of it honestly.

And last, but most important to me:

3. There's really no incentive at all to collect the EX Tank I feel, since continues are not punishing at all, so extra lives literally only means "you get to see the continue screen later". I feel like, in order to balance this out, I propose the following idea: the continue system would be somewhat like the X4 where you return to the very beginning of the stage/section you're in (so you'd just return to the beginning of a side level if you're in one or the beginning of the 2nd section of Gate's Lab 2), BUT, in return, the EX Tank gives you the option to continue from a checkpoint, rather than the stage beginning. Maybe there's other ways that the EX Tank can be given value, but that's just the one that comes to my mind.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 10:59:55 am by DannyPlaysSomeGames »
Hey there