News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Mega Man X6 Tweaks (v15)  (Read 73404 times)

Heaven Piercing Man

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X6 Tweaks (v15)
« Reply #380 on: March 28, 2019, 12:57:38 pm »
Love the work on the mugshots. X always looked OLD in the base game.

G061

• View Profile
« Reply #381 on: March 28, 2019, 07:17:12 pm »
This project really deserves a better name than "Tweaks" imo. These changes are salvaging the game at this point which is just crazy to think as someone who does not like the original X6 at all. Amazing job Acediez and crew.

DannyPlaysSomeGames

• Wait, this isn't Burger King
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: March 31, 2019, 10:59:56 pm »
Okay, after checking out TCRF a bit, I had thought of 3 separate ways to redesign the armor system to be less garbage, based on the section about armor oddities. Note that these require a lot of work and are probably more trouble than it's worth (the fact I wrote this late at night doesn't help either), so take it with a grain of salt and think of it more as ideas rather than suggestions:
  • Mixable Armor (X8 system): Obviously the most improbable so I'll keep it brief. Basically, the player can mix and match all the armor pieces they've collected, which each individual piece serving different functions, while equipping a whole set adds unique bonuses like a giga attack. This is way too complicated for an obvious number of reasons, like requiring an extremely major overhaul of how the armor system is handled, so it's better to do something else instead.
  • Progressive Armor (X-X4 system): This one is more probable, but not by much. It is basically just like the first four games (and X7, but really who cares about that game), where you get your armor piece by piece while being able to use the parts you already have, displayed by you wearing those separate parts. X will automatically equip the armor part if he has no armor on (if it's the first piece of an armor) or if he is already wearing a part of the same armor. Otherwise, it will just be transferred to Hunter Base, where it will be ready to be worn. Still complicated, but it's a bit more bearable (although not by much).
  • Adaptive Armor ("unique" system): Essentially an easier-to-make, albeit cheaper version of Progressive Armor. Basically, you just get the complete armor right off the bat, but the separate functions for it require visiting each capsule (ex. You reach the Blade Armor Foot Parts capsule and unlock Blade Armor, but every function outside of Foot Parts require visiting the other capsules). This is easier because you don't have to make ASM for all the graphics of each separate part X can equip, so you can still have X progressively improve ability-wise without having to screw around with the graphics. This is probably the most efficient choice.
Although at the end of the day it's up to acediez to decide whether he wants to add any one of these or not. It's understandable if he doesn't want to period because it's too complicated or not worth the effort. This was just an idea I've been thinking about for a while, so again, take it with a grain of salt. Also I made this late at night so if this sounds very off, weird, and/or poorly explained, then sorry. I was just trying to contribute interesting ideas to the thread in order to help make the project better, and I really wanted to get this off my chest. This has been a great project and I hope it keeps getting better.
Hey there

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #383 on: April 01, 2019, 01:39:09 am »
Adaptive Armor ("unique" system): Essentially an easier-to-make, albeit cheaper version of Progressive Armor. Basically, you just get the complete armor right off the bat, but the separate functions for it require visiting each capsule

I've actually mentioned this idea before, linking abilities to having a specific armor part rather than the armor itself.
Seems pretty doable in theory. The game already registers each armor part separately from actually having the armor available or not. So you could simply have all capsules give you the armor it belongs to if you don't have it yet (which is actually handled in the Mission Report screen, when all four parts are first detected), then add a check to block/allow the availability of each ability based on its corresponding part.

Will definitely consider this one in the future.

April 01, 2019, 10:28:24 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
This project really deserves a better name than "Tweaks" imo. These changes are salvaging the game at this point which is just crazy to think as someone who does not like the original X6 at all. Amazing job Acediez and crew.
Thanks!
I prefer not to call it anything more than "tweaks", as it doesn't necessarily imply the game is now substantially better or different. That's for each one to decide.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 06:27:00 pm by acediez »

DannyPlaysSomeGames

• View Profile
« Reply #384 on: April 02, 2019, 10:33:00 pm »
I wonder if it's possible to bring back the original functions of the Falcon Armor as a possible choice in the Tweaker, since that'd be interesting. Same with seeing how Shadow Armor could work with special weapons (although it's the armor's intentional weakness, so maybe not). I was also curious about if there was infinite ammo on Ultimate Armor like in X4 (or if it's still based off MMX5's Fourth Armor).

Either way, this was just a bunch of curiosities that are probably dumb, but hey, the only dumb questions are the ones that aren't asked, so might as well ask away.
Hey there

Cupshadow

• View Profile
« Reply #385 on: April 02, 2019, 11:32:44 pm »
About black zero.
Is it possible to make alia report that Zero got a Black Armor or something?.

Aceearly1993

• View Profile
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
« Reply #386 on: April 03, 2019, 05:11:07 am »
I was also curious about if there was infinite ammo on Ultimate Armor like in X4 (or if it's still based off MMX5's Fourth Armor).

Ultimate Armor is still based off its X5 incarnation - no infinite (uncharged) ammo function, they only changed some sound effects and swapped its sprite + mugshot color palette to black in the last few moment just before release.

(Even the palette is still blue like it was in X5 in the prototype build)

Personally I'd like to see if there's possibility to bring a similar benefit (defense & ammo increased again from Falcon Armor's template/standard, for example) to X6 through the tweaks patcher and make it exclusive to Ultimate Armor...

I wonder if it's possible to bring back the original functions of the Falcon Armor as a possible choice in the Tweaker, since that'd be interesting. Same with seeing how Shadow Armor could work with special weapons (although it's the armor's intentional weakness, so maybe not).

I'd like to quote acediez's reply to me several weeks ago:

Unfortunately, those abilities are already cut on the one prototype build that's currently available (where I took the "Warning" voice clip from).
As of now, the best case scenario would be to find that the code is still in the game and it's just skipped over, but I haven't seen anything like it yet (and judging by how the omitted voice clips lines of code were completely removed, I don't think this is very likely).

Another option would be to try importing code from X5, but I'm not sure I'd go that far.

If an earlier build were to surface, that'd make it much easier. So, maybe in the future.

Speaking of the prototype build I'd like to see if there's possibility to restore Sigma's "talking" animation for his mugshot once planned in the prototype but dropped for final release.

A strange square dot would appear on his portrait, hinting that at some point in game development, Sigma's portrait was also animated when the dialogue rolls, along with other characters'.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 06:06:34 am by Aceearly1993 »
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #387 on: April 03, 2019, 02:06:43 pm »
- Falcon Armor's X5 flight
- Shador Armor's special weapons
Already discussed a few pages back... (I guess it's time to write a FAQ)

- Ultimate Armor's special weapon unlimited/reduced ammo
Haven't even thought of this... For now all I can promise is "maybe in the future".

- Report when Black Zero/Ultimate Armor is unlocked
I've thought of this, to match my custom method of unlocking those by reaching UH rank. Not sure how to implement it, but I'll give it a try after the next release.

- Sigma's mugshot animation
I have control of those animations now, but it wouldn't be a restoration as much as making an animation from scratch.

DannyPlaysSomeGames

• View Profile
« Reply #388 on: April 03, 2019, 09:50:00 pm »
I decided to make a quick sprite and made a placeholder Sigma sprite based off his official artwork. (Instead of some blurred out mess.)

Obviously, this was done as a template, more or less, or at least my take on how the anatomy and sprite should be. It was pretty late at night, so I wasn't at maximum capacity but I think it looks fine nonetheless.
Hey there

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #389 on: April 06, 2019, 02:08:00 am »
You have to consider Sigma uses the same mugshot on his second form (right after you defeat him). Giving him a more abstract mugshot was definitely on purpose.

Regardless, that actually looks very good! Just maybe a bit smaller than other character's faces (consider it's gonna be right next to X/Zero's).
I'm currently considering adding each mugshot variant as a separate option in the patcher by the way, so one for Sigma wouldn't hurt.

DannyPlaysSomeGames

• View Profile
« Reply #390 on: April 06, 2019, 07:04:40 am »
You have to consider Sigma uses the same mugshot on his second form (right after you defeat him). Giving him a more abstract mugshot was definitely on purpose.

Regardless, that actually looks very good! Just maybe a bit smaller than other character's faces (consider it's gonna be right next to X/Zero's).
I'm currently considering adding each mugshot variant as a separate option in the patcher by the way, so one for Sigma wouldn't hurt.
Actually, you could try using a trick with the Hunters/Light slot and give both forms a mugshot. Although that depends on if you have enough space in the animation data to do so. As for the original Sigma Virus mugshot, you could try make a cycling palette animation, to make the mugshot more chaotic looking (although I don't know how much effort that would require, since I don't think any mugshot cycles through an animated palette; maybe just use a wrap-around palette animation for simplicity).

As far as the mugshot I made though, keep in mind, it's kind of a place holder. Yeah, it looks good, but I feel it doesn't look good enough for the final product in an X game (even with how ugly X6 can look). Either way, thanks for the complement.
Hey there

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #391 on: April 06, 2019, 01:24:34 pm »
No, I already said I'm done hacking stuff for mugshots. I might add a few variants of existing one but that's it.

DannyPlaysSomeGames

• View Profile
« Reply #392 on: April 06, 2019, 05:35:46 pm »
No, I already said I'm done hacking stuff for mugshots. I might add a few variants of existing one but that's it.
Alright then, I understand; it must take up a lot of time, programming and space to make a custom one, let alone two, so if you feel worn out by it, that's fine. You still did a great job anyway, so keep up the good work.
Hey there

mevipro123456

• View Profile
« Reply #393 on: April 09, 2019, 11:12:58 am »
Hi. I encounter a problem with cheat code 2 after apply Complete patch. When I put cheat code 2 to start game as Zero, nothing happened, still Falcon X  :'(. My emulator is ePSXe.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 11:18:06 am by mevipro123456 »

Cupshadow

• View Profile
« Reply #394 on: April 10, 2019, 11:47:20 pm »
Hi. I encounter a problem with cheat code 2 after apply Complete patch. When I put cheat code 2 to start game as Zero, nothing happened, still Falcon X  :'(. My emulator is ePSXe.

When you apply the 2nd cheat code, It will only add Zero at the character select after you beat the intro stage.

If you want to play Zero at the Intro Stage, Use this gameshark code :
300CCF08 0001

mevipro123456

• View Profile
« Reply #395 on: April 10, 2019, 11:49:28 pm »
When you apply the 2nd cheat code, It will only add Zero at the character select after you beat the intro stage.

If you want to play Zero at the Intro Stage, Use this gameshark code :
300CCF08 0001
How about starting as Black Zero?

DannyPlaysSomeGames

• View Profile
« Reply #396 on: April 11, 2019, 05:09:28 am »
How about starting as Black Zero?
The Ultimate Armor code now not only gives X Ultimate Armor, but also Black Zero. You can also use both the Ultimate Armor and Zero codes at once if you wanted.
Hey there

mevipro123456

• View Profile
« Reply #397 on: April 19, 2019, 03:09:19 am »
The Ultimate Armor code now not only gives X Ultimate Armor, but also Black Zero. You can also use both the Ultimate Armor and Zero codes at once if you wanted.
Sorry for late reply. You get my idea wrong :). I mean playing Black Zero in the Intro too

Cupshadow

• View Profile
« Reply #398 on: April 20, 2019, 12:05:40 am »
Sorry for late reply. You get my idea wrong :). I mean playing Black Zero in the Intro too

do the same thing like adding cheat code i give you earlier then activate the ultimate armor cheat.

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #399 on: April 26, 2019, 11:34:54 pm »
Here's a quick at how the GUI in v16 (and onwards) will look like:

(Ignore the green square, ScreenToGif does that sometimes).

All the new stuff has been discussed in the thread already, no surprises there. Though the tabs do make it look like it grew a lot.
The GUI has taken a lot more time than expected, and it's still not quite done. Several of the new features haven't actually been implemented yet. I'm also waiting for NectarHime's script text files (I already inserted DuoDynamo's retranslation as it is, but since NectarHime agreed to edit script files himself, I agreed to add his "second draft" of the script as a separate option too), and also Metalwario64's final set of mugshots.

So yeah, still lots of stuff to do, but I'm slowly getting there.

Using cheat code 2 in v15, Zero is "selectable" after the intro stage, doesn't make him playable in the intro stage. It will in the next version though, that's already taken care of.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 11:47:06 pm by acediez »