Definitely looks better than my magenta Hunter portrait. I had trouble getting that one's helmet looking good.
To be honest, I'm perfectly happy with either Hunter. You did a great job on both. I have some tinkering in mind for the pink one's helmet, but I'll get there once I'm done with the rest.
Now I wish the game used those characters more so the mugshots could have more use
If I were able to freely add more images (see below), I'd gladly split the few lines of dialogue between both characters.
I'm still curious about this.
I'm not interested in fan dubs, I've stated that on this thread before.
Not interested in the LC tracks neither. Besides, different sized videos and audio tracks would add a layer of complexity to the patcher that I'd rather not have to deal with (let alone copyrighted assets).
I checked the Japanese version (PSV-PSN) today, don't think there's any move which used these two voice files. Although a grunt extremely similar to x_01_04b did get used for several moves of the X Challenge X in X Legacy Collection (e.g.: Charged Twin Slasher)
Thanks for checking!
Maybe what you found is only used in X Challenge (maybe with a different pitch?).
I've spent some time going through the mugshots code:
- There's 20 mugshots in the game (1 Alia, 6 Xs/Zeros, 8 Investigators, 3 Hidden stage bosses, 2 Final bosses), but the game recognizes only 4 distinct "single-digit" IDs to identify a mugshot: 0 = Player, 1 = Alia, 2 = Boss, 3 = A corrupted Alia mugshot. Any value above 3 (between 4 and F) cycles back to 0, 1, 2, 3...
- "Player" adapts to whom you're playing as, and "Boss" adapts to the stage you're in, each with their own exceptions (ex.: Hidden stages also read if you're gonna fight Nightmare Zero/High Max/Dynamo. I haven't looked into the final stages, but there must be a similar check to go, for example, from Gate to Sigma's mugshot after you defeat Gate).
- These are all read from their own files, except Alia (the only "static" one), which is read from the stage data instead (it's included in every single stage file. Weird).
- Good news: Fortunately, the "corrupted Alia" mugshot seems to be an unused placeholder. If true. this would make things much easier. It would mean I'd already have room for my animation/sprite assembly data, and a system in place to access it without having to write my own exceptions. And one slot would be enough, considering the Hunters and Light are not loaded in the same stage.
- Unresolved: where to actually insert the new graphics. The obvious choice for me was to expand the Alia files in each stage (using "Hunters" in the intro stage, "Light" in the others), which seemed to work at first (the game would seemingly adapt to this file being bigger with no issues). However, in-game, the game is coded to only load this file in memory up to it's original size (well, the original size + 4kb, but those last 4kb, when filled, seemed to be replacing something else. And even if it was working with no side effects, it's half the space I need for the whole mugshot). So now I need to either figure out how to load more of this file (while hopefully not breaking anything), or finding some other place to load them from.