News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Lil help with Mega Man X 4 for PC  (Read 2461 times)

omega_rugal

• View Profile
Lil help with Mega Man X 4 for PC
« on: April 25, 2018, 11:20:08 pm »
i have been searching the web for info about how to play the sound effects in this game, i know they are encoded in Ogg but none of the "regular" players work, the goal is to edit or remove the annoing sounds X and zero make every **king time you jump, attack , fart, whatever, i`m sick and tired of hearing  ha ha oh oh ha ha all the time...
Done your packing?, your life journey is over...

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Lil help with Mega Man X 4 for PC
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 09:38:45 pm »
What makes you think they are encoded in Ogg?

It's possible the files have a header on them which keeps players from recognizing them.  If that's the case, you'll just need to open them in a hex editor and remove the header.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogg#File_format says that a .ogg file will start with the text string "OggS".  If you open one of the sound files with a hex editor, do you see "OggS" near the start of the file?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

omega_rugal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 12:46:57 am »
wait, the hex editor shows some RIFF WAVEfmt strings... mmm must be wav files stitched together, where did i get the Ogg thing? anyway they have a small header with names like damage.wav or whatever.wav so i better check them out...

DONE! files VO_P00.SEZ and VO_P01.SEZ were the culprits, mmm they stand for VOices and player 00 = X and P01 = Zero

finally some peace and quiet...

April 27, 2018, 12:52:20 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
damn i have to focus myself, the SEZ files are just wavs one after another, with a small header that has the filenames...
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 12:52:20 am by omega_rugal »

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 11:52:04 pm »
Oh, right, the .SEZ files.  Those have come up here before.  (For some reason I was thinking those were used with the original Mega Man X.)

The thing is that the header isn't just filenames – it's also the file sizes, formatted in a very particular way.  I wrote a script in Python to take those apart and put them back together again.  You can read about it in this thread:
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=20753.msg291681#msg291681

I have since learned that it's probably much cleaner to write the script using Python's "struct" objects, but it gets the job done and it doesn't make too many assumptions.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

omega_rugal

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 10:02:45 pm »
i already solved the problem but, care to explain the format of said header?

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 12:27:49 am »
It's all there in the code, and further discussed in http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=18400.  The filename is followed by the offset from the start of the file at which the WAV file begins (i.e., the string "RIFF") – except the offset is converted to hexidecimal and written in reverse byte-order, and padded with zeroes such that the filename and the offset are 17 bytes total.  At the end of the header is the total length of the file plus one, converted to hexidecimal and written in reverse byte-order.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 12:55:49 am by Jorpho »

omega_rugal

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 07:01:34 pm »
got it

Marcelo_20XX

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 03:21:07 am »
Could you share your work, I am too annoyed at the constant oh oh and ah ahs