News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Finding The Addresses for Doors / Loading Zones For Randomizers?  (Read 407 times)

DezertPenguin8

• View Profile
Hello, I'm looking to make a Door / Loading zone Randomizer, but I'm not sure how to find the doors' addresses. The game's Harvest Moon Save the Homeland for the PS2, and I found addresses for what room / part of the world you're currently in, but not for the actual door itself to change.
Do doors / loading zones work similarly in different games, or would this be completely different? And would I be able to find them with Cheat Engine?

Thanks

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Finding The Addresses for Doors / Loading Zones For Randomizers?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 10:15:42 pm »
Do doors / loading zones work similarly in different games, or would this be completely different?
Many things tend to be different in different games, yes.

And would I be able to find them with Cheat Engine?
Wouldn't that require an easy way of changing – from within the game – what a particular door should lead to?
This depresses me. I feel like a goldfish right now...

DezertPenguin8

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 11:18:44 pm »
Thanks for the reply

Wasn't sure if they would be a non-changing value you could still find in Cheat Engine, and just have to sift through a few thousand single-byte addresses that didn't change, or if there was another program you had to use.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 06:33:12 am »
As mentioned games don't really have any uniform concepts, and in this case no hardware derived concepts either outside of maybe some really old or really specific arcade stuff.

However, much like levels themselves, there are broad categories of things that devs do. Harvest moon I imagine (also from a quick scan of some footage) to be more of the teleporter variety (you step on/activate a pad which is an in game object no different than the other objects you can interact with) than the continuous level (various examples, varying from things like the Tony Hawk loading tunnels in American Wasteland to the likes of GTA's various levels of streaming as the franchise went on, though each may still have teleports for "indoor" events) or instanced level (think puzzle game where you have a menu between things).
In this case it is a full 3d game rather than the more classic 2d style of much of this series. This means you likely have the collision overlay to deal with -- most 3d is just a pretty picture, it is the "track data"/collision net that handles things, possibly with another for NPCs and in game items).
What said teleporter does is anybody's guess. You say you have location data which is potentially helpful -- some games might include a map number and location within it (or location of the world if this is one of those move the world rather than the player/camera deals), it might be that if you fire a number of your choosing into that value that it will take you there but other times it will only be for that map/room.

Cheat wise... for the PS2 then more than possibly and actually quite likely, though it may be a fiddly cheat to implement. For direct access cartridge systems (basically most things that are not the DS or newer than it) then everything usually gets loaded directly from the cart. For disc based devices and other slow read storage device, of which the PS2 is one, then everything tends to get copied to memory first. If it is in memory it opens up things for cheats, rather than read replacement options like game genies.
The trouble will likely come in said teleporters not being in a predictable place in memory, at least not between rooms. You might be able to treat your house/farm as a hub world and everything else happens randomly (or there is a random door in that). To do it for more than one room will likely leave you doing lots of if this then else that type cheats which are no fun to handle. Alternatively if it is that your location data is all powerful then you can try something with that and ignore the level aspects entirely.

DezertPenguin8

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 03:07:04 pm »
Thank you for the reply

Would I find the Track Data in the memory viewer? Also, there's an address for rooms and another for what outdoor map location you're in, and they both have to match for you to go to the right place, so I'm not sure if having to change two addresses would affect how they're stored. I did find an address that changes the assets for each area, but I'm not sure if switching that would actually unload them from the memory