News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy 5: Void Divergence [SNES]  (Read 14859 times)

praetarius5018

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy 5: Void Divergence [SNES]
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2019, 03:41:43 am »
list of bugs I currently know of:
-giant potion does what you described but giant mix is fine
-!throw does not respect cooldown
-using anything except for show or def. while hidden locks the game
-using toad status on a boss that has a escape script (e.g. gilgamesh) loops that escape dialog over and over until toad ends (escape is a spell, toad stops spells)

November 27, 2019, 01:23:51 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
next update (v1.52)
-nerfed !recover from target all to target one
-fixed !throw not being restricted by cooldown
-fixed after battle recovery setting HP to 0 if under the influence of giant potion
-corrected text in beginner house regarding run speed on the map
-fork tower (physical) no longer disables white/black/time/summon/blue/song spells
-fixed underflow in Minus Strike damage calculation
-if hidden and trying to use brv. !show is used instead to prevent a game lockup
-nerfed axe up property of crit up passive from [100..200]% damage to [100..150]% damage
-fixed bug in damage range of axes giving them > 2x the intended max power
-reduced the bonus rune weapons get from MAG to 1/4 its previous value
-increased atk of rune edge from 72 to 92
-certain enemies/bosses are now protected against polymorph effects and instead take damage when the status succeeds
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 01:23:51 pm by praetarius5018 »

Blahgod

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2019, 03:27:24 pm »
Lots of great ideas in this rom hack, but I'm encountering a lot of crashes. I am using v1520 and I double-checked the SHA-1 of the rom before I patched. I'm using BSNES latest (v112) and the unheadered version of the patch.
Here are some of the things that have caused crashes for me:
- Using !Stomp on Gorkismera
- Using !Sleep on Shiva and all of her guards
- Casting Stun on Iron Claw
- !Fury on random enemies
- Blue Magic "Snowstorm" on random enemies
- Tons of random crashes during battles in the library, including the very start sometimes

I also encountered glitches at times when Berserk caused the character to never act and Recycle caused the item meter to never fill up. I don't remember the exact circumstances, but they were both around the time I first gained access to the abilities.

praetarius5018

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2019, 12:04:22 pm »
how exactly are those crashes expressing themselves?
does the action just stop? does the screen get garbled with graphical mess? does the game just reset?
were they repeatable?
also make sure if you have applied the ips patch to the rom to not have both ips files in the folder, dunno about BSNES but some emulators apply the patches on the fly.

Blahgod

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2019, 11:44:25 pm »
Either the screen will go black and the music will continue, or the screen will become a garbled mess with the last note of the music continuing to play.
I made sure the IPS files weren't in the same directory as the patched rom.
These crashes are easily repeatable. I'll savestate at the beginning of a battle just in case it crashes, because it seems there are also some enemy abilities that are able to crash the game. If I just repeat some specific actions I can reliably get it to crash. The most reliable way seems to be to use the blue magic spell Snowstorm on certain enemies.
Just in case it was an issue with Lunar IPS, I put the non-patched rom in a separate directory with the IPS so the emulator could automatically patch it. Swapped the SRAM file over, loaded the in-game save, and still had the issue. I suppose I could start fresh in case there's something wrong with the SRAM, but it would take a very long time to get to the point where I can try to replicate the issue.

praetarius5018

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2019, 01:36:55 pm »
I found one issue which explains ~4 of the 6 bullet points: one function in the status effect handling is reached under certain conditions in the wrong 8/16 bit mode and then interprets a command as a reset...

!stomp vs garkimasra - did you happen to have a spellblade or weapon with status effect on?
had no luck on that one
[edit]or it is ofc because he counters >0 damage with moon flute (status as the issue above) and anything else you do doesn't manage to hurt him

library... didn't have the luck to get that crash on my end (I didn't try before fixing the status thing above) - so maybe that was the same, enemy decides to use a status effect with the conditions that cause a crash and then it crashes

[edit2]submitted v1.53 with the fix for that status crash bug
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 03:58:54 pm by praetarius5018 »

Blahgod

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2019, 06:49:09 pm »
Thanks for the work. I meant to post these earlier; they're a couple of videos I recorded of the crashes. I'm guessing Snowstorm is causing blind and the screen is going black because of the reset. The Garkismera crash is very different, though.
Garkismera crash: https://streamable.com/1mu8s
Snowstorm crash: https://streamable.com/o81so

praetarius5018

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2019, 12:02:55 pm »
should still be the same issue, at least post fix I couldn't get either crash to appear anymore.
and in both cases a status related move is about to get used; internally the game first calculated the entire damage and status stuff and only afterwards starts to play animations that's why it seems to crash out of nowhere.
the different crash types (black vs garbled mess) should just be from the state the game was in before, background, loaded sprites.