News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy 5: Void Divergence [SNES]  (Read 6268 times)

praetarius5018

• View Profile
Final Fantasy 5: Void Divergence [SNES]
« on: June 13, 2018, 05:02:54 pm »
edit 2019-06-09:
updated link to new version v1.005

If you'd ask me what kind of hack this'll be, the answer is:
yes

1. MP/action economy
ATB proceeds instantly to the next event (player selects an action, enemy attacks, poison/old/... ticks, etc.) and then waits until this event is resolved.
Additionally ATB are tied to MP.
MP is reset at battle start to 10 (more under certain circumstances).
When you have 100 MP after finishing your turn and you're not defending, 100 MP are used to skip the wait until your next turn giving you double/triple/... turns if you have the MP to spare.
Defending instead refills 100 MP. (Think Bravely Default and you'll get the idea)
Certain actions do not use your turn free of charge: !Scan, !Spellblade. (don't get your hopes up, spellblade has been nerfed hard)
The Quick spell had to be scrapped.
If you take MP damage that exceeds your current MP, the rest will be added to the ATB needed until your next turn.

2. Jobs
Vanilla FF5 has 21 jobs + freelancer, it is possible to add 10 more - still working on that biggest obstacle is... the job selection menu.
Characters were kinda same-ish, that has been changed by disallowing certain jobs on each character, e.g. Bartz can never be a chemist and Lenna just can't motivate herself to go Berserker, and no one can go back to freelancer, heroes don't have time to be unemployed.
!Black1-6 and the like have been compressed into just !Black - you already have to unlock new spells by buying or finding them, double-locking them is stupid.
Every job has now 5 levels which give abilities, a few will be copies from other jobs.
Also each job level up now increases character stats permanently, e.g. each level of monk gives +2 VIT and +30 base HP (before VIT multiplier) and white mage adds +1 AGL and +2 MAG.
You are also now limited to a total of 30 job levels per character.
ABP to next job level is now based on total job levels gained.
This is meant to represent their life experience; in the vanilla model they could've spent 30 years as a knight, then put on a different set of robes - white mage - with suddenly NOTHING hinting at their knighthood, no muscles or endurance from wearing heavy armors, not even able to lift a sword, a huge part of what makes them them just gone.
All jobs are like vanilla mime now: all innates, only job ability set and 3 open slots.
What I've said about job restrictions is only half-true:
a) you can get a special piece of equipment that gives you access to all jobs while it is equipped BUT if you remove the item and have any level in an illegal job (e.g. not unlocked yet) you'll suffer from uncurable old status.
b) there's an alternate game mode that gives you access to all the jobs at the start but once one job is chosen you can't switch anymore.

Also some old abilities are gone (all Equip X for starters) and some new ones were added in their place,
including but not limited to the ability to cast most spells on all allies/enemies, surviving lethal attacks or double loot.

3. Elements
Almost everything is now bound to the 8 elements, non-elemental is now truly rare.
E.g. most swords are fire-type, knives are poison, axes earth, etc.
Equipment belongs to an element as well and grants weaknesses and resistances accordingly.
Shields only remove a weakness to the element they have.
The overall resistances and weaknesses of a character can be viewed in the status screen.
Icons for the elements are added to the names of items, spells, enemies.

Note:
If any enemy has no weakness this is a bug.
Only player characters are allowed to have no weakness.
Also while defending, weaknesses are ignored.

The element of relics provides a +10% bonus to their element.
Each character has two elements for which they also increase attack power of weapons and spells by +10% (additive with relic bonus).
Bartz empowers wind and lightning elemental attacks
Lenna empowers water and ice elemental attacks
Galuf empowers earth and holy elemental attacks
Faris empowers fire and poison elemental attacks

4. Field effect
Based on the terrain/background, 5 element icons are applied to the field.
Each time any action is used that has an element, that element's icon pushes the list from the right side and kicks the left most icon out.

Each matching icon for an action gives +10% damage/heal or a slightly increased chance to inflict a status effect, the opposing element reduces the same.
!Summon (the ability, not the spells!) is affected in a more extreme way.

5. Magic
Spells have no longer fixed attack power but scale with weapons.
Huge parts of the spell arsenal were replaced, tier1-3 spells are condensed to just one spell.
MP costs were adapted to the new action economy, so e.g. Fire is free but weak (100% attack scaling) while Flare is quite expensive but much stronger (25 MP, 145% scaling)
"Spell menus" for physical techs exist now as well.

6. Equipment
Gear is no longer restricted by job.
Instead of head, body and relic you have now 3 relic slots.
Those items have been refluffed as bracelets, jewels, amulets, etc.

7. Items
Items are no longer used up instead you get a cooldown for ALL items on that character, this includes !Item, !Mix, !Throw and !Drink.
A few items have fixed length cooldowns but get stronger with higher stacks, e.g. a 1-stack potion heals 50, 99 potions 1250 but cooldown is static; compare with elixir which always recovers all HP but gets cooldown reduction from "try again next battle" at 1 copy down to about 10 turns at a 99 stack; MP recovered increases also (15 -> 100).
Cooldown can be speed up with defending and the !Time spell "Renew".
Breaking a rod does not add a cooldown but still removes the item.

8. Victory recovery
Potions/HiPotions/Elixirs can no longer be used out of battle to prevent infinite healing.
Instead some HP are automatically restored after winning a battle, specifically:
(1/8 maxHP + 4 * (VIT - 20)) * (VIT + 12) / 32
However, dead characters have to be manually revived.

9. Monster
Potential max HP is increased from 65.535 to 524.272 (or up to 16 segments of up to 32767 HP)
Bosses and strong regular monsters can have "HP barriers", any overflow damage when reaching such a barrier is lost.
E.g. a boss with a barrier at 5000 HP is sitting at 5001 HP and hit for 9999 damage, he'll only drop to 5000 HP now and only the next attack continues as normal.
Upon passing a HP barrier the following stats increase slightly: attack, STR, MAG, AGL, evade, m.evade.
Once past a HP barrier the enemy can never be brought back above such a barrier.
Successfully inflicting a death, petrify or similar status will not kill a boss/monster with HP barrier directly, only drop it to the next HP barrier.

Enemies that hold a rare drop will now give it 100% if you do not possess one copy of it yet.

Also there can now be up to 8 enemies on the field at the same time.

10. Status effects
Immunities are no longer absolute nor is a lack of the same a guarantee (after the hit/miss check) a status gets inflicted.
Attacker's MAG increases the chance, target's VIT reduces it and the target's affinity to the status effect's element modifies the chance as well.
Spoiler:
chance is ((2x MAG + base) * player * defend * brave * element_weak + element_resist + field_effect – 2x VIT) * heavy * status_resist
on a 0..200 scale
base = 120..180 depending on status effect
player = 0.75
defend = 0.75
brave = 1.25
element_weak = 1.5
element_resist = -70 (-120 heavy)
field_effect = = -35 (5 opposing dots) ... +35 (5 supporting dots)
heavy = 0.75
status_resist = 0.375 (0.75 if also weak)

if the final chance is < 10%, chance = 0
That means you can theoretically apply insta-kill effects to any boss.

Aside from that some status effects have been changed to be stronger of their victim is weak to the respective element.
Someone weak to poison takes double damage from poison ticks (base: (maxHP/16+20)*1.68 or ~10% per turn),
HP leaks burns twice as much HP if weak to fire (base maxHP/512 + 1, capped at 20, halved against player, per ATB unit).

11. Character rename
Available at any time. Just hold L/R while opening the menu to rename the top-most character.

12. New Game Plus mode
Character levels, job levels, items, magic and abilities carry over,
cap of total job levels increases from 30 to 70 (NOT enough to max all jobs of a character)
and enemy stats increase; enemies cap at NG+15.
Can be accessed at any time by holding L/R when loading a save game.

13. Difficulty
General difficulty can be adjusted in the config menu (replaces non-functional message option).
Adjusts only enemy numerical stats: HP, atk, def, m.def, STR, MAG, Speed.
Saving is always enabled.

14. Exp
Escaped monster grant 50% exp instead of 0.
Multi-killed monster (e.g. via Life, Gargoyle respawn) now grant the exp for each kill instead of only once.
Total exp gain per battle is capped at a measly 8,388,607 - though that was enough to go from Lv8 to 95, so...

15. Misc. notable nerfs
X-Fight went from 4 hits, half damage (except for spell-weapons), ignore def/evade to 3 hits of 0.56x damage that respects def and evade.
Spellblade went from 2/3/4x with ignore defense (or kill) on weakness to just 2x.
Double Grip increases attack by 25% instead of doubling final damage.
Dual Wield imposes a 13/16 penalty to attack power.
X-Magic imposes a 13/16 penalty to spell power.
Weakness hits only ignore 25% defense instead of 100%.
Haste reduces delay between actions now only by 33% instead of 50%.
Slow increases delay between actions now only by 50% instead of 100%.
Song bonuses are capped at +30.
!Mix level bonus can not exceed 239 - gotta work a bit harder than just stack a boss up to L255 then Lv5 death him.

Motivation:
Spoiler:
=== Character/Job limitations ===

One of my favorite things to do in RPGs is building "my team".
FF5 doesn't really allow that since you can just grind until everything is maxed out.
Plus that unrestricted job selection entirely disregards characterization.
Bartz is afraid of height why can he be a dragoon?
How can spoiled, anti-aggressive princess Lenna be a Berserker or a Thief?
How can our resident amnesiac Galuf remember enough to cast spells as any mage job?
And pirate queen Faris acting like a self-sacrificing knight makes not much sense either.
Admittedly I couldn't follow through on every plot restriction or there'd be too few jobs available.

Next point is how little influence experience in other jobs meant.
Spent half the game as a Black Mage and then switched to a knight without taking Black as an ability?
Congratz, you've basically just successfully denied half your life as if it didn't happen.
So I went and made it so you gain at least a few stat points for it,
making the knight in this example a character with a much higher magic stat than otherwise.
Plus giving innate abilities for any job, I mean why does it matter to my ability to learn Blue magic
whether I wear a blue tunic from the Freelancer job or the green tunic from the ranger job?

=== Turn/MP System ===

At first I wanted to scrap MP entirely.
It is a system done to death, especially when it has lost its entire meaning with gigantic MP pools and
MP restorative items as easily available as drinking water.
Doesn't work out too well once you remember that tiered magic exists.
Or how impossible it would be to balance a cost-free death spell to regular damage spells.
Then I encountered Bravely Default and a few tactics games that used action points with varying cost by action.
Considering how BD seems to me like a stealth remake of FF5 going full cycle on that idea seemed like a natural choice.

=== Elements ===

FF5 has 8 regular elements but many enemies have either no weakness at all or only to one for which you've barely any access.
Outside of region-locked Gaia you've only access to ONE water attack in the entire game: the Leviatan summon. (Aqua Rake is non-elemental)
Poison doesn't fare better with just Bio or holy elemental with Holy and very few weapons - most at the very end of the game.
And there's nonsense like being immune to poison damage but still being able to be poisoned.
A 180 turn was in order: EVERYTHING gets an element so weaknesses can matter again.
Also status effects were tied to those elements for those same reasons:
a being weak to poison damage should also be weak to poison tick damage.

=== Title ===

Almost everything is different, i.e. divergent from the original, even things that amount to "nothing".
Plus, void is everything in the plot, means it exists not.

=== High Power Level ===

This is meant in the sense that status effects work on "everything", late game bosses still have weaknesses
and most skills still remain useful throughout the game instead of bombarding the player with a new, better skill every 2 minutes.
And so on.

If Mix/Dragon Power (target gets +20 levels, capped at 255, usable on everything with NO save),
the old status (reduces level every couple seconds), e.g. via Blue/L2 Old, and Blue/L5 Death exist
everything is killable in less than a dozen "attacks", even if it has 1.000.000.000.000 HP and is immune to *everything* three times over.
This invaldiates the meaning of commonplace-normal, boring "balance", i.e. status effects being useless and free full heals existing.

After winning the fight against the wall of text you can grab your reward here!
WIP, obviously, expect bugs.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 10:09:04 am by praetarius5018 »

gokajern

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy 5: Void Divergence [SNES]
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 06:09:32 pm »
Ok, so I began playing and noticed a few things: tinker and crusader jobs are obscured, also they have no additional abilities. Some abilities have no description (I suppose it isn't necessary for the more obvious ones), like psych!, aero! I also find the description of teach! to be pretty ambiguous "teach ally to counter". I also noticed that some innate abilities appeared with each job, but you don't need to add them because they are innate.

praetarius5018

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 03:47:35 am »
Seems right;
the new jobs are currently just placeholders.
Technically you can use them but they are basically just freelancers at this point.
And, well, no color palettes.

!Teach does what it says, the targetted ally gains the counter passive ability for the remainder of the battle.
Abilities without a text should just be "cast spell of same name for free" types.

I've made it so the job's always-on innates are still added to the ability menu when the job is used, so the player knows what he is in for - in the same vein you get their job ability, so you can at least read what it does.
This doesn't work too well for Knight and Monk...
Their cover and counter aren't innates in this mod, only passive skills, but for those jobs they are always-on.

gokajern

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 08:17:50 pm »
This doesn't work too well for Knight and Monk...
Their cover and counter aren't innates in this mod, only passive skills, but for those jobs they are always-on.
Sorry what?
What I gather from this is that they are not exactly innates but work as innates because they are always on, even if you don't add them to your equipped abilities.

praetarius5018

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 01:35:50 pm »
Sorry what?
What I gather from this is that they are not exactly innates but work as innates because they are always on, even if you don't add them to your equipped abilities.
Knight always has cover active even if it is not equipped. The cover skill itself is a passive ability not an innate (because it can screw the player over, imo).
For every other job you'd have to equip cover in one of your ability slots before it works.

This is makes it kinda false information; every other job has as an always-on ability (if any) only an innate skill which is also added to the ability selection, so the player can see: "I have gotten innate ability XY from that job, that will be active" - Knight/Monk break this because their ability is a passive.

gokajern

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 11:49:59 pm »
Ok, I played some more.

- There's not enough info about each accessory, as in I have no idea how each one alters my resistances. It would be nice to know without having to check each individual stats screen.

- It would be nice to have a legend for all the element symbols, it can get confusing sometimes, I think I mistook earth for fire for a while.

- So far everybody can use any weapon or accessory, it seems like a strange choice considering jobs are restricted.

- There's no way to know what abilities are always-on for each job, no way to know what abilities you've "earned" No way to know what abilities or stat gains will stay when you change jobs after a few levels. Also you should be able to know how your abilities are going to end up with in battle. For example I didn't know that instead of Fight! the knight gets Stomp! as his basic ability, so for the first battle I had a knight with Stomp! twice.

- I gave Galuf, a thief, crit up (not sure if that's active for that job or not). He gets Brave! in battle for whatever reason.

- I have Faris, a white mage with 10 mp at the start of battle. I have her defend and gain 100 mp. So I cast cure afterwards and next action my mp is down again to 10 or less, is that intended? Cure says it costs 12 mp.

- The basic rod weapon misses a lot when attacking, is that normal? Everything else hits frequently enough.

- Growth rates seem weird. With Bartz as a knight and Galuf as a thief they both have around 1000-1200 hp, the other two, a white and black wizard have around 700 hp. I don't remember exactly how it went on vanilla but that much hp seems like too much before getting even the second crystal.

praetarius5018

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 12:25:47 pm »
- There's not enough info about each accessory, as in I have no idea how each one alters my resistances. It would be nice to know without having to check each individual stats screen.
You've an icon next to every item that tells you its element.
You can either try to math it out with the element_sheet from the zip or you check the status menu.

- So far everybody can use any weapon or accessory, it seems like a strange choice considering jobs are restricted.
Dunno, I always find if it weird if a character's is suddenly unable to equip something he has used the last 10 levels only because he switched his job. If I've trained 30 years as a knight and built muscles to wield huge swords and heavy armor, I not suddenly become completely unable to do so just because I've been demoted to clerical duties.

- There's no way to know what abilities are always-on for each job, no way to know what abilities you've "earned" No way to know what abilities or stat gains will stay when you change jobs after a few levels. Also you should be able to know how your abilities are going to end up with in battle. For example I didn't know that instead of Fight! the knight gets Stomp! as his basic ability, so for the first battle I had a knight with Stomp! twice.
Honestly? Exactly same as vanilla.
Also you can check the basic abilities under status.

- I gave Galuf, a thief, crit up (not sure if that's active for that job or not). He gets Brave! in battle for whatever reason.
No, that's correct.
Passive abilities get replaced in battle with !Fight, !Brave, !Scan or !Item depending on what you're missing.
The passive effect still counts though.

When you go over the crit up ability you should see in the lower message box whether it says passive (=need to equip) or innate (=already active).

- I have Faris, a white mage with 10 mp at the start of battle. I have her defend and gain 100 mp. So I cast cure afterwards and next action my mp is down again to 10 or less, is that intended? Cure says it costs 12 mp.
Actually you don't gain 100 MP (that's a mistake in the info dump to make it a bit easier to understand)
but 90 MP flat and 10% of you maxMP when defending, so that should work if you have 120-129 maxMP.

- The basic rod weapon misses a lot when attacking, is that normal? Everything else hits frequently enough.
Rods, bows, axes always had low accuracy, that's unchanged.
What IS changed is that AGL increases that accuracy now.

- Growth rates seem weird. With Bartz as a knight and Galuf as a thief they both have around 1000-1200 hp, the other two, a white and black wizard have around 700 hp. I don't remember exactly how it went on vanilla but that much hp seems like too much before getting even the second crystal.
HP is a good bit higher.
Vanilla was 20 base HP at Lv1, 500 at Lv30 and 3950 at Lv99.
Here it is 120, 1600 and 2000 for those levels.
Base HP meaning before VIT bonus (1/32 per point) and potential HP 30% ability/ies.

Certain jobs - like Knight, certainly not b/w mages - now give a bonus to this base HP on job ups.

Enemy damage is maybe slightly higher than vanilla, potentially even lower (more element resistance options).
But that is opposed by more restricted healing.

sandworm

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2018, 12:57:51 am »
known issues:
-no balance, at all

praetarius5018

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 03:35:31 pm »
so 3 Aquarakes this time?

gokajern

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2018, 06:15:06 pm »
You've an icon next to every item that tells you its element.
You can either try to math it out with the element_sheet from the zip or you check the status menu.

That's the point, it would be annoying to mess around with excel while playing the game, just as it is annoying to check the status over and over. If nothing can be done then that's that.

Dunno, I always find if it weird if a character's is suddenly unable to equip something he has used the last 10 levels only because he switched his job. If I've trained 30 years as a knight and built muscles to wield huge swords and heavy armor, I not suddenly become completely unable to do so just because I've been demoted to clerical duties.

That makes sense, but a wizard who's never been a warrior deftly using heavy strength-requiring longswords doesn't make sense either. Maybe attainable weapon skills?

Honestly? Exactly same as vanilla.
Also you can check the basic abilities under status.

Right, except in Vanilla you could rely on all jobs having item, fight and their specific skill (With a few exceptions). So you kinda did know exactly what you were gonna get (Even mimic warns about it's differences). Still, if nothing can be done then so be it.

No, that's correct.
Passive abilities get replaced in battle with !Fight, !Brave, !Scan or !Item depending on what you're missing.
The passive effect still counts though.

When you go over the crit up ability you should see in the lower message box whether it says passive (=need to equip) or innate (=already active).

Perhaps this could be more explicit? Maybe even mentioned in the tutorial house in Tule?

Actually you don't gain 100 MP (that's a mistake in the info dump to make it a bit easier to understand)
but 90 MP flat and 10% of you maxMP when defending, so that should work if you have 120-129 maxMP.

That's fine but 100-12 does not equal 10, is it some restriction on healing? Because even if can't heal every turn it would be nice to be able to use the rest of the mp for something else.

Rods, bows, axes always had low accuracy, that's unchanged.
What IS changed is that AGL increases that accuracy now.

Is there any logic to that other than "the original game did it" because all it means is that you can't reliably deal water (ice?) physical damage without gaining AGL or other means (using rods as an example).

HP is a good bit higher.
Vanilla was 20 base HP at Lv1, 500 at Lv30 and 3950 at Lv99.
Here it is 120, 1600 and 2000 for those levels.
Base HP meaning before VIT bonus (1/32 per point) and potential HP 30% ability/ies.

Certain jobs - like Knight, certainly not b/w mages - now give a bonus to this base HP on job ups.

Enemy damage is maybe slightly higher than vanilla, potentially even lower (more element resistance options).
But that is opposed by more restricted healing.

Considering regenerating mp and hp it kinda means that the only real threats are bosses, regular enemies can't chip away at you like usual. Most enemies can be dispatched by spamming attack with minimal attention to healing, other elemental magics, etc. I don't what that means for gameplay but it might be something to consider depending on where you want to take this hack.

praetarius5018

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 02:24:21 am »
That's the point, it would be annoying to mess around with excel while playing the game, just as it is annoying to check the status over and over. If nothing can be done then that's that.
Sorry, but this is as far as I can go.
Imo, it is at least a step up from vanilla where you get just !Scan - which you have to grind for first - and pure experimenting.

That makes sense, but a wizard who's never been a warrior deftly using heavy strength-requiring longswords doesn't make sense either. Maybe attainable weapon skills?
This will be kinda taken care of by equip weight (WIP).
STR determines how much weight you can handle and mages have less of that.

Right, except in Vanilla you could rely on all jobs having item, fight and their specific skill (With a few exceptions). So you kinda did know exactly what you were gonna get (Even mimic warns about it's differences). Still, if nothing can be done then so be it.
I've replaced the word "ability" over the 3 selectable skills with the job's main ability for the next version.

Perhaps this could be more explicit? Maybe even mentioned in the tutorial house in Tule?
Yeah, tutorials and NPC hint dropping will need to be done. A lot.
But I want to finish the main mechanics first so I've a better idea what hints I HAVE TO give early (e.g. ATB=MP, item cooldown, ...) and which are minor and can wait till later (e.g. Life curing doom timer).

That's fine but 100-12 does not equal 10, is it some restriction on healing? Because even if can't heal every turn it would be nice to be able to use the rest of the mp for something else.
You have 10 MP at the start. (you can increase this by leveling certain jobs like BlackMage)
You defend and gain 90MP+10%maxMP (not 100 as explained in the info dump, that was changed at some point)
Let's say you have 150 maxMP. So you gain 90+15=105 MP. Your MP is now 115.
You cast Cure (12). That leaves you at 103 MP.
You have 100 or more MP left so you can take another turn now, so MP drops to 3.

Is there any logic to that other than "the original game did it" because all it means is that you can't reliably deal water (ice?) physical damage without gaining AGL or other means (using rods as an example).
I mostly just didn't change the weapon accuracy values.

gokajern

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2018, 03:09:45 am »
You have 10 MP at the start. (you can increase this by leveling certain jobs like BlackMage)
You defend and gain 90MP+10%maxMP (not 100 as explained in the info dump, that was changed at some point)
Let's say you have 150 maxMP. So you gain 90+15=105 MP. Your MP is now 115.
You cast Cure (12). That leaves you at 103 MP.
You have 100 or more MP left so you can take another turn now, so MP drops to 3.

Ohh I get it now. I apologize. I've never played bravely default, that mechanic went right over my head even after reading the description. Makes sense now, I'll continue playing and see what else I can bring up.

praetarius5018

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2018, 11:57:30 am »
Is ok, I just mention Bravely Default so that it is a bit easier to understand for those that played or know of it.

Just as a heads up, the following bugs are known in this version (and fixed for the next update):
-TwinCut and X-Fight can randomly malfunction and crash the game
-exp on/off option doesn't work
-some enemies that use "escape" just come back afterwards
-victims of confuse, berserk or zombie status can almost never take an action
-echo spell doesn't work with x-magic
-shift spell doesn't get reduced power with x-magic

June 30, 2018, 01:53:29 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
updated the link above for a new version.
mostly bug fixes and ability for the Tinker job
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 01:53:29 pm by praetarius5018 »

praetarius5018

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2018, 11:15:47 am »
uploaded a new version

-next job added, Assassin
-special reward for beating non-repeatable bosses on highest difficulty
-critical hits are no longer exclusive to fists, katanas, bows but all physical attacks
-some more minor tweaks

Grandpaf

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2018, 07:45:42 am »
That looks quite interesting ; will try it as soon as I'm from work and give you some feedbacks.
La forêt... en pleine Beauce

praetarius5018

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2018, 03:08:21 pm »
next update:
-4th new job
-changes how defense, weakness, etc. are applied
-rearranged shop inventories, added some previously unobtainable items
-couple QoL changes (e.g. scan shows undead state, spell anim fast forward)
-a couple bug fixes

praetarius5018

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2018, 10:37:02 am »
next update:
-5th new job
-status health with chance to instantly succeed in inflicting a status effect instead of pure hit/miss chance
-changed white/pure to heal HP leak instead of poison
-added a delay to the first monster turn; 30 atb ticks for fixed encounters (bosses) and [10..70] for random formations (each monster gets its own penalty)
-several more number tweaks

Lasher

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2018, 09:08:55 pm »
Your sk3 hack was awesome, will definitely take a look at this one.

Any plans for inserting advance extra jobs?

praetarius5018

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2018, 12:43:13 pm »
Both yes and no.
I'm adding a total of 10 jobs, half is done at this point.
Some of them may take the advance jobs as an inspiration or my own spin on the idea; truth be told I didn't like any of the 4 jobs as they were and they come so late as to be mostly useless.
Let's take Oracle.
How does !Predict work in FF5A again?
It selects a spell based on your current MP single digit, some of which can hurt your party,
spells have power based on the target's HP single digit
and the entire thing takes a while to take effect anyway, so the HP may even change in the meantime
also the spells at their best aren't above tier3 spells anyway.
Very complicated to use well, so why bother.
So in my version I do away with the randomness:
you've 8 spells to choose from instead of 10 based on a non-obvious value
spell power is "normal" and not some hidden not-really-random mechanic
only the part of the spell happening in the future remains.
Instead the new limitation is that you can use each of those spells only once per battle;
I mean it is really not much of a prediction to say "the valcone will erupt" while the volcano spews magma on your head.

Necromancer will have a few influences on the planned vampire job.

Cannoneer will be quietly ignored - one Chemist-style headache is enough per game.

And Gladiator... emmm... what does it do again that isn't sword dance 2.0?
I think he may be at fault for Samurai's new Slash version.

praetarius5018

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2019, 08:54:08 am »
next update (link in first post):
-remaining jobs done
-added sprites for new jobs (thanks to BlackLiquidSorrow)
-separate active skill and passive skill slots