News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [SMD] Hybrid Front - English translation - WIP  (Read 3150 times)

celcion

• View Profile
[SMD] Hybrid Front - English translation - WIP
« on: May 28, 2018, 12:32:41 pm »
Hello everyone!

We decided to go with our Sega Mega Drive instincts and work on (yet another) untranslated MD game! :-)
This time it's going to be The Hybrid Front.

A great game with a script written by an actual screenwriter/sci-fi writer, which was pretty rare back then and somewhat rare even now. This results in a really fleshed-out story, and a very good level of writing, not surprisingly.
We already made some progress with translation/insertion of the text. Now we're also working on graphical parts and the menus to make the script work with the limited screen size.

Here's some current progress:

The staff is the same as usual:

* Lead translation: TheMajinZenki
* Additional Translation/Editing: cccmar
* Hacking: celcion
* Additional Hacking: Miralita.

Stay tuned! :happy:
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 12:38:59 pm by celcion »

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
Re: [SMD] Hybrid Front - English translation - WIP
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 02:13:28 pm »
Looks good!
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Supper

• View Profile
    • stargood
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 06:06:10 am »
Nice work! While I don't know much about the actual game, I've listened to the Naofumi Hataya soundtrack a bunch of times -- great stuff, as you'd expect. Maybe when this is done I'll finally be able to find out whether or not the gameplay lives up to it ;)

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 01:29:53 am »
The writer basically came up with an entire timeline pertaining to the events in the game (spanning 5-6 centuries), which is why there's a "historical index" you can check before you even start playing the game proper. The plot is thus very detailed, and has some interesting twists and turns. TheMajinZenki translated almost half of the missions thus far, but there's a ton of hacking work left still, mostly because some parts are compressed (with Nemesis) and we will likely have to completely rearrange the menus, so as to avoid having to use ugly abbreviations. So, while a lot is done, I don't know if we manage to finish this project in 2018 - only time will tell; would be good to knock Surging Aura and The Hybrid Front out of the park this year I guess. As to the gameplay, it's a mix of Advance Wars with tactical SRPG (like Vixen 357 etc. - you don't build your units, but there is some rock-paper-scissors logic as to how you use them).