News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Psyklaxia: my new YouTube channel!  (Read 3075 times)

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
Psyklaxia: my new YouTube channel!
« on: May 27, 2018, 05:25:29 am »
Hello all! I've been rather busy of late, mostly with Real Life stuff, but I've also found the time to prepare for this, my new YouTube channel! I'd been thinking about it for a while, but I'm finally ready.

The theme, funnily enough, is ROM hacking. I will provide short reviews of hacks, translations and homebrews, but the most important part (for me) will be tutorials. I'm making a series explaining ROM hacking to everyone, starting soon with a beginner's explanation of how computers actually work. They are a lot more work than reviews, of course, so most of the time you'll be seeing reviews.

Here's my first video, a review of Super Mario World: The Lost Adventure Episodes 1-3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OecCs8fnaYs

I've already got a bunch of videos done and ready to go, but for the sake of consistency (I know YouTube viewers prefer that) my videos are all scheduled to come out every Sunday at 09:15 UTC - so it will always be on Sunday wherever you are. ;)

Please subscribe, as there will be plenty more videos to come! Maybe I'll even review your hack! :) Enjoy!

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
Re: Psyklaxia: my new YouTube channel!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 03:25:35 pm »
Awesome! I welcome more romhacking related videos on YouTube. I don't think there are nearly enough.

RetroGameFan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 07:46:15 am »
@Psyklax - Great! I'm looking forward to seeing what ROM hacking tutorials you can (or have) come up with! :)

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 05:59:16 am »
Thanks for the interest, guys! And Filler, one of your translations will be appearing next, see if you can guess which. ;)

Incidentally, I've changed my website to look in the same style as the channel, but I'm having trouble embedding the YouTube channel there. Currently it seems to work in Edge but not Firefox. Weird.

Just for information, I've just finished the sixth video, so there should be a regular stream of videos. You'll just have to wait until each Sunday to find out what they are. :D

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 08:45:25 am »
Just in case anyone missed it, my second video went up on Sunday, reviewing the small amount of translation Filler did for Coca-Cola Kid. :)

https://youtu.be/YcPxoV_Cr1s
(I wanted to embed the player but I don't know if it works on the forum - or if the mods are okay with it)

It's early days in my channel and I'm very much open to feedback, by the way! :) Tune in on Sunday for my first tutorial on how computers work. Most of you guys will probably know it anyway, but who knows, you might learn something! ;)

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 08:57:43 am »
A channel by you focused on rom hacking. Subscribed.
Is it you talking in the video? Well done!

phalanX

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 02:16:20 pm »
Alrighty! Pretty good stuff there!
Love the editing and voice over narration. Can't wait for the tutorials.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 12:06:03 pm »
Here's my first video, a review of Super Mario World: The Lost Adventure Episodes 1-3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OecCs8fnaYs
Your voice is soothing and mellifluous, and you do not force viewers to sit through an intro or stare at your face.  I can hardly ask for more than that.

On the other hand, you do seem to say repeatedly that you haven't actually played much of the hacks in question.
This depresses me. I feel like a goldfish right now...

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 02:51:51 pm »
you do seem to say repeatedly that you haven't actually played much of the hacks in question.

In all fairness, I've released two videos - and only in the first one did I say that, since I was doing three hacks at once. :D I showed every level of Coca-Cola Kid. I don't plan on playing each game for hours. But thank you for your kind words. :)

(looks up 'mellifluous' on Wiktionary)

RetroGameFan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 02:51:34 pm »
Hey Psyklax! I left a comment on your YouTube video. You make great videos! :)

For anyone paying attention, the latest video, for the record, can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuL0CZrxSYo.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 04:32:32 pm by RetroGameFan »

RetroGameFan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2018, 01:05:12 pm »
While most of us newbies are probably be anxious to see more tutorials from Psyklax, here are the next two videos in the series, in the meantime:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geoO0rIYJfM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfoH9AJ0oLI

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2018, 11:56:14 am »
Well, it's nice to have 24 subs at this point, though I've been getting fewer and fewer views on each video... guess I need to work harder promoting my channel if I want to get anywhere.

Anywho, nesrocks may be interested in my newest video, as it concerns his excellent hack of Super Pitfall. Like, comment and subscribe etc, it's all appreciated. :)

https://youtu.be/Uszyw0w_t8Y

I may be forced to take a short break soon, but I'm working on future videos. Suggestions for good hacks to review would be great! :D

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2018, 01:15:20 pm »
Well, it's nice to have 24 subs at this point, though I've been getting fewer and fewer views on each video... guess I need to work harder promoting my channel if I want to get anywhere.

Anywho, nesrocks may be interested in my newest video, as it concerns his excellent hack of Super Pitfall. Like, comment and subscribe etc, it's all appreciated. :)

https://youtu.be/Uszyw0w_t8Y

I may be forced to take a short break soon, but I'm working on future videos. Suggestions for good hacks to review would be great! :D

I mentioned your channel in my latest video for what is worth. I've been enjoying it so far.

RetroGameFan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2018, 04:46:34 pm »
Psyklax, it appears that you haven't posted a video on YouTube at all yesterday. Have you decided to take a break from the videos?

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2018, 09:28:21 am »
I may be forced to take a short break soon, but I'm working on future videos.

RetroGameFan

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2018, 09:56:48 am »
@nesrocks - Ohh... Thanks for pointing that out. I'm sorry I missed that little detail. :(

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2018, 10:01:59 am »
Yeah, in truth I forgot to upload... :D But actually I do need a short break anyway because, in fact, I don't have a good microphone so I recorded all the videos with someone else's, but I have no access to that at the moment. Now I'm running out of content, so I figured I could leave it for one Sunday to give me some buffer space.

Don't worry, there'll be a new video this Sunday, and I'm working on new ones all the time. Biggest problem is my second tutorial, which I really want to do, but I'm just having a bit of trouble with the scope. I need to make sure one sub-ten-minute video doesn't try to cover too much ground. I thought I got it right with the first video, but that was the basics. Now I have to go in-depth and I need to be careful not to go too far on a tangent.

Also, thanks for the comment, nesrocks! Glad you liked the video. If any of you know of a hack you really like, maybe you could mention it and I'll give it a try. :)

RetroGameFan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2018, 05:59:40 pm »
Psyklax, it's quite alright, I get it now. I'm sorry for being a little anxious, and slightly impatient, for you to come up with ROM-hacking tutorials on YouTube. Just do what you can do. ;)

Chael

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2018, 06:13:49 pm »
I remember you had this project of teaching with videos. Great that you could do it, it's desperately needed.

Don't worry about the short-term view count, these are uploaded for a long time and if they are quality they'll eventually be found by the people who need them.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2018, 06:23:49 am »
Castlevania II English Re-translation review is up:
https://youtu.be/hgQhugtjWbc

Just a note to everyone that I've run out of videos, so there'll be a little break. With only 30 subs, it's not going to be a big deal, but in case anyone is interested, now you know.

I'm busy writing the second tutorial, and I have a couple of reviews that just need the voiceover. I don't have a good microphone, so that's why I have to use someone else's - and one reason why I haven't got anything left to upload. The main reason is real life: I just don't have time for anything. :-\

Rest assured, I will continue. Next Sunday I'll do a little video explaining everything that's going on with the channel (without a good microphone). Then hopefully I'll find some time to get some videos in the bag. :)