News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Ocarina of Time romhacking: How to find ROM addresses, file formats and hooks?  (Read 1479 times)

Accept86

• View Profile
Hello,
I´m new to Romhacking, but have the programming skills I think. I plan to change the navi texts for OOT Item ranomizer (optionally) to make sense.

I just startet and followed this tutorial http://glitchkill.proboards.com/thread/5851/oot-mm-hacking-asm

I have some questions:
-How do I find a ROM adress. Like in my Navi example: How do I know what adress the Navi Texts are stored in the ROM, or if I want to use them dynamicly, how do I know what function I use to change navis text and what parameters do those functions have?
-At which addresses do I store the text-pool that I chose my texts from?
-Which file format do the texts use? ASCII, Unicode, UTF8, somthing different...?

And of course:
When I got the output cheats, to change the game - I still don´t get yet how to edit the ROM instead of using cheats?

Many thanks

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
The first place to look would be Data Crystal.
https://datacrystal.romhacking.net/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Ocarina_of_Time

In this case, it links to CloudModding.
https://wiki.cloudmodding.com/oot/Main_Page

Perhaps that will get you started..?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Accept86

• View Profile
I checked Cloudmodding, that has useful info, but doesn´t really answer all those basic questions from above.

It´s hard to get the basic knowlegde of romhacking. Like how does the gameshark cheats relate to rom and ram? Where can you store your own data in the Hex File?

Also is there some tutorial on nemu or project 64 Debugger debugging?

Project64 Debugger seems to easily crash, and with nemu64 my controller turns link around all the time. Didnt find a Deadzone setting.
Also I have trouble with the Debugger Memory search. I can only search values in a adress space, but I cant search in my results again? But how do I search for a changing value I know the values of? Like 6->5->4->1->0 or bigger->smaller->bigger-Bigger or something.

May 27, 2018, 02:06:56 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
You can store your own stuff in the expansion pack area of the RAM for OOT I guess

I guess gameshark codes are cyclicly written in RAM, and when you want to use them in a ROM you need to do a DmaCopy.
Does anyone know some good cyclic called address, you could use for that?

« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 02:06:56 pm by Accept86 »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
I thought Ocarina of Time stored its text in plain ASCII (and probably something standard for Japanese, given that NTSC OoT is basically a dual-language game since the two only differ by a single byte which is used as a hard-coded language selection).
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018