News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [Technical][SNES] FF6 - Asm for French (or more) translation  (Read 295 times)

Hrothgar SCRB

• View Profile
Hello,

Why I need help

I come from the French romhack.org scene. With the help of a hacker (Meradrin), I did many years ago a translation for FF6. The hack was fairly extensive in order to adapt the display and room for the texts. Now, I'm reworking all the texts in order to make a new release, and I noticed some bits are missing here and there in the hack, and my original partner for the project since then vanished and I can't ask him any help. I already asked in my community, but there doesn't seem to be any available/interested asm progammer to help me, and I've been stuck for already some years. So I come here to ask help from some benevolent soul who would be interested with the project.

What I need

The size of what I ask for depends on the good will of the person who would help me, and the ambition of the project. Let me explain.

The minimum would be to fix the bugs in the hack and complete the little bits so that there would be no problems with the French translation.
The maximum would be to offer a localization tool for anybody who would like to make a good quality translation of the game in his own language with little technical knowledge. This part would need many small or medium changes, such as put in .asm files the screen positions for menu texts or such things, and allow a wider character set than currently available in the game (the space is very limited due to a strange configuration of the character map). The main problem is that the existing scripts are written for the prehistoric compilator, x816, which is not convenient for an accessible tool, and the scripts would ideally have to be translated to something newer.

If anybody is interested, I'd gladly give more details of what has to be done.

Thanks for reading. :)