News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

Sonic 5 - Improvement Vol.2 (Nes)

Started by sics, May 14, 2018, 12:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Master Tom Cat

Quote from: ChromiusMixin on October 19, 2022, 06:13:45 PMThis really is just becoming my favorite ROM hack of a bootleg, at this point it may as well not be associated with bootlegs anymore, this is a proper quality NES game by now.

I really only have a few small quips with what's been shown by now:

-Time bonus seems to be a static 2000 points regardless of your finishing time in an act
-Invincibility is still 15 seconds long rather than 20 seconds like the original game, speed shoes also shorter than original game
-Low-pitched SEGA chant

Things I would look into, essentially. Me myself, I'd preferribly also have the level design from the 16 bit mega drive game but I'd imagine that would simply be too much.

Genuinely hoping to play this soon!
Yeah, me too

SuperStarFox

Quote from: Master Tom Cat on October 22, 2022, 01:42:38 PMYeah, me too

So am I. In fact, I can still wait until something comes up. Rom-Hacks take time and I'm sure the progress will be shown off real soon. Rn, we just need to hang in there.

sics

Happy Epiphany day, we are getting closer and closer to the release of the new version of Sonic Vol.2 and I am sure that when you play it you will get more than one surprise! :beer:

Linktree  | Better a small finished project than a thousand giant ideas stuck in your system.

SuperStarFox

Quote from: sics on January 06, 2023, 07:05:06 PMHappy Epiphany day, we are getting closer and closer to the release of the new version of Sonic Vol.2 and I am sure that when you play it you will get more than one surprise! :beer:

Seriously, HOW!? How is this possible!? Is this for real???

Master Tom Cat

Quote from: sics on January 06, 2023, 07:05:06 PMHappy Epiphany day, we are getting closer and closer to the release of the new version of Sonic Vol.2 and I am sure that when you play it you will get more than one surprise! :beer:

I actually wonder how you managed to get blue spheres running on NES hardware of all things, considering that blue spheres will be replacing the special stages from Somari, 8-bit Sonic 1, and older versions of Sonic NES Improvement, I am actually wondering if the finished hack will run on real hardware. I didn't think that Mode 7-esque scaling of this kind was even possible on the NES.
(Mode 7 is a graphics mode on the SNES, that allowed for background scaling and rotation allowing, that applies a pseudo-3D effect. Mode 7 is mostly present in F-Zero, and Super Mario Kart)

StickyChannel92

That's very impressive. I've never seen such a special stage be possible to run on older hardware than it was made for.
I hope I get to try out this great surprise!  :angel:

sics

How does it work?
I can't talk much about the programming, because that work has been carried out by Ti_, but mechanically the special stage is made up of 2 graphic tricks (If I'm not mistaken).

The first is to create 2 identical screens, but one with the track colors reversed.

That way when Sonic moves, breakpoints on the screen sequentially draw specific sectors of both screens, as needed to give the effect of movement.

(I don't remember discussing it with Ti_, so my explanation is just a guess based on experience)

What I can attest to, because I was the one who proposed the idea, is how the stage rotates.

If you look closely, the objects are laid out in a grid, which means that Sonic only needs to turn at regular intervals.

So a single extra frame and well-timed palette changes are enough to create the illusion of having the 4 frames needed to render the platform spinning animation.

Special Stage - Blue spheres.
Not exactly, the new special stages do not come to replace the previous ones, they are a reward for the real players of our hack, since they will only be able to access them after having collected the 7 chaos emeralds.

Real hardware.
Although we had the possibility to use a mapper like MMC5 and expand the rom even more, we decided to work with the limitations of the time, so with a suitable everdrive I see no reason why it should not work on real hardware.

In addition, although it was on an older version of the Ti_ hack, the game has already been tested on real hardware.
https://disk.yandex.ru/i/sQNKGGnG7xxEVw
Linktree  | Better a small finished project than a thousand giant ideas stuck in your system.

Red Soul

This is some sort of wizardry surely! wow, it looks great.
Honestly, I wish Sonic 2 on the Mega Drive also had something more similar to this, I always were really bad at the half pipe bonus stage haha.

SuperStarFox

Quote from: sics on January 07, 2023, 04:18:31 PMHow does it work?
I can't talk much about the programming, because that work has been carried out by Ti_, but mechanically the special stage is made up of 2 graphic tricks (If I'm not mistaken).

The first is to create 2 identical screens, but one with the track colors reversed.

That way when Sonic moves, breakpoints on the screen sequentially draw specific sectors of both screens, as needed to give the effect of movement.

(I don't remember discussing it with Ti_, so my explanation is just a guess based on experience)

What I can attest to, because I was the one who proposed the idea, is how the stage rotates.

If you look closely, the objects are laid out in a grid, which means that Sonic only needs to turn at regular intervals.

So a single extra frame and well-timed palette changes are enough to create the illusion of having the 4 frames needed to render the platform spinning animation.

Special Stage - Blue spheres.
Not exactly, the new special stages do not come to replace the previous ones, they are a reward for the real players of our hack, since they will only be able to access them after having collected the 7 chaos emeralds.

Real hardware.
Although we had the possibility to use a mapper like MMC5 and expand the rom even more, we decided to work with the limitations of the time, so with a suitable everdrive I see no reason why it should not work on real hardware.

In addition, although it was on an older version of the Ti_ hack, the game has already been tested on real hardware.
https://disk.yandex.ru/i/sQNKGGnG7xxEVw

I'm impressed! I didn't think Ti_ would not only replace the audio from Amiligi, improve the screen render, but would actually have the brains to add in Super Sonic and Blue Spheres! This is truly more than an NES port of Sonic 1, it's a true masterpiece and a way to experience Blast Processing on NES hardware.

Googie

This is badass, can't wait to try it out when it's released. 👊😎

drax01

Excellent work, it is very exciting to see these types of work. Congratulations!!!

diablo666

:'(

God, this is a real masterwork. I can't wait for this hack. Just great

Cris1997XX

Quote from: Master Tom Cat on January 07, 2023, 04:47:46 AMI actually wonder how you managed to get blue spheres running on NES hardware of all things, considering that blue spheres will be replacing the special stages from Somari, 8-bit Sonic 1, and older versions of Sonic NES Improvement, I am actually wondering if the finished hack will run on real hardware. I didn't think that Mode 7-esque scaling of this kind was even possible on the NES.
(Mode 7 is a graphics mode on the SNES, that allowed for background scaling and rotation allowing, that applies a pseudo-3D effect. Mode 7 is mostly present in F-Zero, and Super Mario Kart)
Wait wait wait...they will replace the old special stages!? Not to undermine all this effort, in fact they look pretty decent, but still...I think I prefer the Master System/Game Gear ones
P.S: Nevermind, just read the messages below

sics

:V

PS: No promises, but in the best case scenario, we will evaluate the possibility of designing the missing special stages (SMS style), however, our priority is to finish Scrap Brain, since even though I have gained a lot of experience tinkering with the various areas of the game, it is a very tiring task, especially since it is not my comfort zone.

Anyway, with this update we hope to attract enough attention so that new collaborators join us, so if you want to help our project, and you don't know how to do it, spread the word, make videos about it, share it with your friends or eat popcorn, which, although it has nothing to do with anything, it is quite tasty :beer:

Flaviogames

sics: is there any rom for me to promote the work on youtube?

sics

Quote from: Flaviogames on January 13, 2023, 08:49:47 PMsics: is there any rom for me to promote the work on youtube?

I'm sorry, although in effect, you far exceed the 200 subscribers that I requested on Twitter to provide a demo of the game to content creators, I do not like certain practices that you have had in the forum over time, so even if you help could benefit a lot, it would be hypocritical of me to accept it, I hope you can understand, anyway, thank you very much for considering us! ;)

thanksgoogle

Really looking forward to this. Will Somari be a playable character? lol

SuperStarFox

Quote from: thanksgoogle on January 15, 2023, 06:28:58 PMReally looking forward to this. Will Somari be a playable character? lol
There will be an alternative patch for it.

sics

Sorry, but those features are no longer supported in the current version of the hack, we've tweaked Sonic's animation sequences, and there's now a lot more main character reference material that we should tweak to add.

On the other hand, although I can't confirm it yet, the ideal would be to create a separate set of animations for Super Sonic and add other cut scenes for the end of the game.

Note 1: This idea would only be possible, with the implementation of an 8x8 color distribution, so I reiterate, it is not confirmed.
Note 2: Being a model, it is possible that the final result will vary.

For example, the image of South Island is obviously a placeholder, so the final result will probably be something more like this:

(I am not involved in this task, so my illustration is only demonstrative)

In any case, we are a small team, so we are practically forced to prioritize tasks that ensure a tangible improvement in the game, leaving cosmetic changes as the last priority ;)

By the way, if you like PacManfan64's designs, and you don't want me to kill myself for showing them ahead of time, don't forget to support him on his Deviantart.  It is also worth mentioning woring, which has presented the update of its Talui Adventure 4.0 project. :beer:

Changing the subject, you may wonder why I haven't uploaded the update of this hack yet, actually, there were just a lot of new ideas that we didn't want to leave out of the new version, just to name a few:

+ Spikes Badnik (Spring Yard) now can be killed from side attack (similar to MD).
+ When starting spindash, sets state 'rolling' - now Sonic kills badniks (similar to MD).
+ Increased timer for inviciblity and speed shoes (similar to MD).
+ Extra lives count up to 99 (Drawn max 9)
+ Revision of the code of the oxygen dispensers (Labyrinth).
+ Improvements in the limit of objects.

+ It is now possible to skip the ring count at the end of the level.
+ Restored non-working original Time Bonus code:
< 1:00 = 5000 pts.
< 1:30 = 4000 pts.
< 2:00 = 3000 pts.
< 2:30 = 2000 pts.
> 2:30 = 0    pts.

+ After Blue Spheres values for bonus score now defined (Rings bonus = blue spheres rings,  time bonus = 9900 if 'perfect').

+ New Music: Sonic Origins (unused)
+ TIME OVER music same as GAME OVER.

+ New SFX: Eggman (Star Light, Final Zone, Bad Ending)
+ New SFX: Bat Brain.
+ New SFX: Spike trigger.
+ New SFX: Waterfall (Labyrinth)

+ SFX: Ring lost (Updated)

Finally, here's a sneak preview of what's keeping me busy, it's still just a dream, but as I mentioned we are very interested in redesigning the SMS style special stages.

Open in a new tab to see in real size

Googie

Smooth progress, Bro. Smooth progress.  :thumbsup: