News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Poll

What do you think of the Loki series?

It's the best thing I've seen in a long time!
I hate it, I'm tired of super heroes!
Glorious purpose!

Author Topic: Sonic 5 - Improvement Vol.2 (Nes)  (Read 204468 times)

sebastianangel

• you can always improve
    • View Profile
    • sega genesis
Re: Sonic 5 - Improvement Vol.2 (Nes) [Near-inactive project]
« Reply #440 on: August 25, 2021, 09:55:33 pm »
Good news, I've finished applying the title screen to the game!

bootleglover
Welcome back, I'm glad you like this hack, it's good to see you back! :thumbsup:

On the other hand, I'm preparing a kind of tutorial, explaining the process I went through to make and apply this title screen :beer:

SuperStarFox
I don't know on behalf of whom you speak, but I have already made a screen for Family Kid

And considering the quality of the original material, I don't think I did a bad job...

To be honest, Family Kid is a very bad game and even though I knew it was a waste of time, I have taken the trouble to fix even the smallest details, so it would be great if you appreciated my effort

Sics That cover looks really great! :D Congratulations, I already want to see the improvements you will implement to this great bootleg :crazy:
I hope you continue with this great work :thumbsup:

sics

• Contact me!
    • View Profile
Re: Sonic 5 - Improvement Vol.2 (Nes)
« Reply #441 on: August 26, 2021, 10:04:45 am »
Thank you! I'm working very hard to bring a new update focusing mainly on the requests that were left pending :beer: (The ones I can fulfill, of course)

I've found the demo mode script, and I'm trying to fix it!

I optimized the end of level screens to be able to get the space needed to restore the word "TIME BONUS", and corrected the message for the passed acts in the Family Kid version.

At the same time, this optimization allowed me to add some decoration for Vol.2 versions of the hack

Also, as requested some time ago, I included Sonic Classic and Speeding Hummer, in this branch of the project:

Note: I honestly don't understand who would want to play with this version of Sonic...

(For Doraemon and Family Kid, I will need a little more work, since the excessive amount of data I need to recalculate many pointers, to move them )

On the other hand, I have fixed several frames that presented graphic glitches of Somari, I also corrected his palette distribution, to look correctly and retouched the frames where he looks up.

I modified the level selection cheat, to be faithful to the Konami code.

I changed all the names of Speeding Hummer's acts, to correspond to his counterpart seen in "Samuri - Star Angel"

And I corrected the spelling errors in the Famili Kid level selector.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 11:33:32 am by sics »
Linktree  | Better a small finished project than a thousand giant ideas stuck in your system.

UltraEpicLeader100

• Stealing your waifus since 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: August 26, 2021, 11:28:52 pm »
Well this is one bang up job of an update! Way to go!

SuperStarFox

• View Profile
« Reply #443 on: August 27, 2021, 01:53:10 am »
Okay, this hack looks way more better with these features, optimization, and having new zone names for Speeding Hummer! Also, I apalogize about Family Kid's title screen improvement... I still think it's good. I honestly wouldn't mind replaying this hack with Doraemon, Hummer, and the original NES Classic Bootleg Sonic.  :laugh:

Amilgi

• View Profile
« Reply #444 on: August 27, 2021, 11:55:04 pm »
I should have read through this thread earlier! My apologies for not checking in.

I had actually made a cover of the master system special stage music a while back, here's the .0cc and .nsf for that:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1AfyhvdJERfvf7w4cdngJn8IGfO05gZp8?usp=sharing

If people are onboard to help with the audio hacking, I'd be happy to tune up my original covers (re-balance the music, fix some notes, adjust so sfx don't cut it off, etc.) as well as update the SFX to more closely match the original.
For the music I can work off my original file, but if we can put together a list of the desired SFX, I'll go ahead with remaking them.

Great to see the other various updates are coming along well! :thumbsup:

Lood

• View Profile
« Reply #445 on: August 28, 2021, 02:24:51 am »
@sics

Nice to be back  :)

Hopefully things such as level chunk placement/enemy placement gets changed eventually as this game currently doesn't work too great with the improved (and better feeling) game physics

sics

• Contact me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: August 28, 2021, 09:48:41 am »
Actually, I've done all the things you mention, but the enemies are still very aggressive.

Remember that I'm just an overqualified graphic designer, all my progress was achieved by investing hundreds of hours of effort and even then my progress can never compare to a real programmer.

On the other hand, although it's no consolation to admit it, it's not the first game with broken physics and although counter-intuitive when you understand them you can handle Somari quite well...

And even if it's not the case now, I must admit that it hurts and annoys me a bit to hear people saying that my effort is not worth it, being such a bad game, I really don't understand what's the problem in dedicating time and love to a game that I personally like...

For my part, I'm open to any kind of proposal, I'd love to have the help I need to add all the content this game needs! :beer:

Another clarification that I think it is necessary to make, is that this hack is not just a graphic edition, besides I started long before there was a single application to facilitate my task.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 06:49:28 pm by sics »
Linktree  | Better a small finished project than a thousand giant ideas stuck in your system.

Cyneprepou4uk

• I am the baldest romhacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: August 28, 2021, 06:56:28 pm »
And even if it's not the case now, I must admit that it hurts and annoys me a bit to hear people saying that my effort is not worth it, being such a bad game, I really don't understand what's the problem in dedicating time and love to a game that I personally like...

Don't worry about it. You just need a good agent  >:D
https://youtu.be/FWTwECbJy94

sics

• Contact me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: August 28, 2021, 07:55:41 pm »
We all know Kevin is a better choice :laugh:
If Dr. Robotnik Had An Assistant

Although I must admit he's not wrong about Knuckles, that echidna's got style

theunpredictablecavedweller

• View Profile
« Reply #449 on: August 29, 2021, 11:44:05 pm »
It is possible to fix the HUD to look more like the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive version?
Something's gonna happen.

sics

• Contact me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #450 on: August 30, 2021, 03:37:05 pm »
That's a very good question, I can actually do almost anything with the HUD, but there are other issues that prevent me from being creative.

As some of you may know, the NES is incapable of drawing more than 8 sprites in the same horizontal row and it can't represent more than 64 total sprites on the screen.

This makes it necessary to strategically place each piece of the HUD, which is especially noticeable in matches against Eggman, because if you'd use a similar layout to Genesis, this would happen:

Which at runtime would cause graphics that can't be rendered to be skipped all the time, making it impossible to keep track of your rings through the HUD.

On the other hand, if your question actually alludes to adding more information to the HUD, such as the words "TIME:" or "RINGS:", with the way the current graphics work it is not a good idea.

For example, in the first battle against Eggman, this is the relative amount of graphics drawn on screen:

The first numbers represent sprites that load visible graphics and the numbers added to them represent sprites that load empty graphics.

And while I'd like to think that the invisible graphics are ignored by the PPU, when playing a normal game you'll notice that in the battle against Eggman, the game isn't able to draw Sonic's life counter on screen.

Sure, there are more efficient ways to manage the graphics, but for the moment this game works this way.

Amilgi
I should have read through this thread earlier! My apologies for not checking in.

I had actually made a cover of the master system special stage music a while back, here's the .0cc and .nsf for that:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1AfyhvdJERfvf7w4cdngJn8IGfO05gZp8?usp=sharing

If people are onboard to help with the audio hacking, I'd be happy to tune up my original covers (re-balance the music, fix some notes, adjust so sfx don't cut it off, etc.) as well as update the SFX to more closely match the original.
For the music I can work off my original file, but if we can put together a list of the desired SFX, I'll go ahead with remaking them.

Sorry, I had not seen your message, I will try to contact Ti_, to see if he is still interested in this project :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 06:21:41 pm by sics »

SuperStarFox

• View Profile
« Reply #451 on: September 20, 2021, 04:57:56 am »
I think it's possible to switch the fonts with the ones from the Sega Genesis version expect you can't be able to add the words since they're already featured in the end screen. As for the music, finally... the GG/SMS Special Stage! Now all that's left is Ti_ for his thoughts on the music track. Anyway, I think I can try to list the sound effect tracks... let's see.

1. Ring collected
2. Ring lost
3. Hit by spikes
4. Shield obtained
5. Death
6. Bumper (from Spring Yard Zone)
7. Air bubble
8. Ding ding (about to drown)
9. Death by Drowning
10. Fireball
11. Checkpoint
12. Continue obtained (after obtaining 50 rings in the special stage)
13. Death (GG/SMS version, opitonal)

Bonus Tracks (Again, Opitonal)

1. Bridge Zone
2. Jungle Zone
3. Labyrinth Zone (GG/SMS version)
4. Scrap Brain (GG/SMS version)
5. Sky Base Zone
6. Boss Stage (GG/SMS version)
7. Chaos Emerald (GG/SMS version)
8. Ending/Staff Roll (GG/SMS version)

Ti_

• View Profile
« Reply #452 on: October 10, 2021, 05:32:58 am »

What features you used in 0cc, than are not present in original ftm?

I checked with sonic hack driver (famitracker v5), and it's works. Idk if it sounds correctly or not.
(0cc-famitracker based on famitracker v4 with a lot of new features.)

DL:
https://disk.yandex.ru/d/2xRwsbb4EQ8XAQ
1) put rom named "Sonic The Hedgehog (NES) Improvement V1.0 + Music Hack.nes" in this folder.
2) launch build.bat
3) new rom named "Sonic_The_Hedgehog_(NES)_Improvement_V1.0_+_Music_Hack_NEW.nes" will be created.
4) open this new rom.
5) press 'UP' button on title screen, and start. you will enter in menu.
6) sound test from 20 to 30 are street fighter songs, and 31 is sms bonus stage.

For new sound effects SMS maybe used as base. The SMS square channels similar to NES channels. Only need to convert them.

Amilgi

• View Profile
« Reply #453 on: October 12, 2021, 04:45:29 pm »
What features you used in 0cc, than are not present in original ftm?

I checked with sonic hack driver (famitracker v5), and it's works. Idk if it sounds correctly or not.
(0cc-famitracker based on famitracker v4 with a lot of new features.)

Most of 0CC's new features concern instruments, and since I composed everything with just 1 blank instrument I didn't end up using many of them.
The only new feature I think I used in the street fighter music was the added effect MXY, which just applies Y volume after X ticks. Even then it was only sparingly, so it's probably not that noticeable if they're missing. The SMS bonus stage should be all good.
I'm not certain if 0CC exports .NSFs any differently, but if that causes any issues you can drop the .0CC into vanilla famitracker and it plays/exports just fine (only the few MXY's won't work)

For new sound effects SMS maybe used as base. The SMS square channels similar to NES channels. Only need to convert them.

Good call, when I get a chance to update the sfx I'll try using the SMS/GG titles as reference. I'll hopefully get to it in the coming weeks.
I'll plan to stick to one melodic channel for the sfx - what I'll do is move all the lead melodies to pulse 1 and keep all the sfx on pulse 2, which should help avoid noticeable cutoff.

Thanks for offering to help out with another sound update :beer: I'll post any progress updates in this thread so they can be tested