News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Possible Sprite Editor for CPS3 games?  (Read 761 times)

SupremoMemeo

• View Profile
Possible Sprite Editor for CPS3 games?
« on: May 09, 2018, 11:32:52 pm »
Hello!
A group of people in a Discord server of a CPS3 JoJo Game, which is "JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Heritage For The Future", are taking the task of romhacking it.
Right now, we've gotten some really basic things, like modifying some texts and basic frame data changes.
We also got some more advanced things, like the creation of entirely new intros for Vanilla Ice, and sprite replacements for DIO, changing him to his first form (Or as some people call him, "Jacket DIO").
However, we cannot get a complete replacement of DIO, because Jacket DIO's animations are incomplete (lack of certain sprites).
The character sprites are located on in both 40 and 41 files of the ROM, and we were wondering if it would be possible to make a sprite editor for CPS3 games (or atleast this one), by opening these files, and if someone could go through the process of making one.
If any of you that are seeing this can, that would be a great help to us.
Thanks a bunch.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Possible Sprite Editor for CPS3 games?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 11:05:42 pm »
CPS3 games are encrypted.  What tools are you using to edit the game already?

If the game's files are already decrypted and decompressed, you might be able to view graphics with something like Tile Molester.
This depresses me. I feel like a goldfish right now...

SupremoMemeo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 09:09:42 am »
CPS3 games are encrypted.  What tools are you using to edit the game already?
We're using XCOPY, which converts the rom to hex and lets us edit it. And a similar program exists for CPS3 ROMS that allows us to edit color palettes with the 51 file.
Edit: Someone just checked, and it looks like Tile Molester is a no-go. He just got some weird yellow pixelated mess.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 09:29:41 am by SupremoMemeo »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 01:41:26 pm »
Yellow sounds probably normal (graphics usually are found without palette data) but pixelated, nope. Probably compressed/encrypted or else in an unrecognized format.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 11:54:10 pm »
The system specs refer to "hardware RLE decompression of 6 bpp and 8 bpp graphics", though that doesn't really tell you the specifics of the algorithm involved.  You might be able to discern it from the source code of the MAME driver.

But maybe that would be too easy.  If editing CPS3 graphics was a trivial operation, I would have expected there to be a dozen different SFIII hacks with Guile and naked Elena by now.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 09:02:13 am by Jorpho »
This depresses me. I feel like a goldfish right now...

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 02:12:38 pm »
I'm hoping for a PalMod who can contain the Palette viewer like when you're working with MvC2 sprites.

Sadly, the Discord group for JoJoHHTF is way too hermetic, having their 51 file edited with colors of the recent anime, REFUSES to share it.