News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Gunhead term sanity check  (Read 858 times)

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
Gunhead term sanity check
« on: May 09, 2018, 12:13:33 am »
I'm messing with the script for Gunhead: The New Battle again and I'm uncertain about one term. The script is all kana, and the term is "すうたい". It's used in the following line which seems to appear as you search the map, and appears more than once as the start of the text blurb.

しよう ふのうの ろぼっと すうたい はっけん (使用不能のロボットすうたい発見)

Possible readings are:
素謡
数体

In researching 数体/すうたい, I've come across the usage below, and it's leading me to interpret this as "robotoid". This seems like the most likely interpretation, but I wanted to put this out there. Let me know if you think I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Code: [Select]
英語 euploid
日本語 正倍数体
読み仮名 せいばいすうたい
説明 その種に固有な基本染色体数(n)の正数倍である細胞または固体.二倍体(diploid), 倍数体(polyploid)参照.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 05:55:38 pm by filler »

kuoushi

• View Profile
    • 46 OkuMen
Re: Gunhead term sanity check
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 06:30:40 am »
Pretty sure it's more of a simple "Several broken robots found." 数体 here meaning several. It's the ~体 counter. 使用不能のロボット1体発見 would be "One broken robot found," for instance.

filler

• "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
Re: Gunhead term sanity check
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 05:54:53 pm »
Pretty sure it's more of a simple "Several broken robots found." 数体 here meaning several. It's the ~体 counter. 使用不能のロボット1体発見 would be "One broken robot found," for instance.

You're probably right. I posted here because I felt like I was reaching a bit. Besides, I think the suffix in my example is actually -ploid, not -oid, which have different meanings.

It's just frustrating since I'm having trouble finding a clear example on the internet, probably because 数体 has a definition as a noun on its own, outside of a (likely) noun-counter pairing.

Thanks for your help BTW. I'll mark this "solved" for now.