News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Mega Man X4 Undub (v1.13) & Mega Man 8 Undub (v1.4)  (Read 101050 times)

TrekkiesUnite118

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X4 Undub (v1.11) & Mega Man 8 Undub (v1.4)
« Reply #120 on: August 03, 2020, 09:36:08 am »
Saturn Games are harder to emulate for most people

This is false at this point. You have SSF and Mednafen(And it's various branches) that can play the game flawlessly at this point. You also have Yabause and it's branches which while not as good as the previous two, should be able to play Megaman 8 fine.

and some (including myself), prefer the PS1 version.

So then why are you begging for Saturn Content to be ported over?

The PS1 sound font is better anyway; the Saturn version sounds compressed.

The Saturn can't play back compressed PCM Samples, they have to be decompressed. As a result the quality usually gets lowered so they fit in Audio RAM. Sometimes FM Synth instruments get used as well to save memory. The PS1 cannot do the latter part as it has no FM Synth capabilities at all. If MM8 is using that on the Saturn then that would require sampling the individual FM Synth instruments from a Saturn which isn't really easy to do.

To further highlight this, here's an example from Sakura Wars. On Dreamcast the battle theme sounds like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8zsHF_2nr8

On Saturn it sounds like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBZpqti7Z2w

While the Dreamcast has better quality PCM Instruments, notice how it sounds a bit sterile and flat compared to the Saturn version. This is because the Saturn version is using additional FM Synth instruments to back up the PCM which adds more depth to the overall sound of the song.

PS1 roms are also easier to find online and would therefore make the patching easier for those new to romhacking.

You can find Saturn ISOs on the very same sites you find PS1 ISOs on. Not to mention the entire set of redump rips is on archive.org.

Besides, it seems more impressive to those not in the know about a hack if the hacker was able to change things like music, as music is just as important as gameplay in any video game in regards to contributing to atmosphere, similar to how bad American voice acting contributes to a cheesy localization. ;)

This is a silly argument. Wouldn't it just be as impressive to hack the Saturn version since as you seem to believe the Saturn is more difficult to deal with?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 09:43:13 am by TrekkiesUnite118 »

Supergamerguy

• Studio Ghibli fanatic, lover of all things MegaMan
    • View Profile
    • Supergamerguy's Romhacks
« Reply #121 on: August 03, 2020, 07:05:07 pm »
I wasnt trying to start an argument, that's off topic here.

I'd just like to put it out there that porting Tengu Mans theme to the PS1 version as part of the hack would be a cool little bonus for those that wouldnt consider playing the undub anyways. :)

Stuff like that doesnt get done often while "translations", which can sometimes include dubbings, are common.
Mega Man 7 > 3 > 2 > 9 > Wily Wars (with SRAM hack) > 5 > 6 > 4 > Powered Up > V(GB) > 10 > 1 > The Power Fighters > The Power Battle > IV(GB) > III(GB) > II(GB) > Dr. Wily's Revenge(GB) > Mega Man 8 > Mega Man and Bass > Mega Man (Game Gear) > Mega Man and Bass - Challengers from the Future

TrekkiesUnite118

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 03, 2020, 09:31:24 pm »
I wasnt trying to start an argument, that's off topic here.

I'd just like to put it out there that porting Tengu Mans theme to the PS1 version as part of the hack would be a cool little bonus for those that wouldnt consider playing the undub anyways. :)

Stuff like that doesnt get done often while "translations", which can sometimes include dubbings, are common.

I'm not really trying to start an argument I'm just trying to bring you down to reality and understand that what you're asking is most likely beyond the scope of an undub hack and is most likely not technically feasible due to the distinct differences between the audio hardware of the two systems. There's tons of crazy things that would be neat little bonuses to any hack, but they're just not technically feasible.

If you want Tengu Man's Saturn music, then play the Saturn version. If you want it with an undub hack, then port the undub hack to the Saturn version. That is a far more technically feasible option than what you are asking.

Supergamerguy

• Studio Ghibli fanatic, lover of all things MegaMan
    • View Profile
    • Supergamerguy's Romhacks
« Reply #123 on: August 03, 2020, 09:48:27 pm »
If you want Tengu Man's Saturn music, then play the Saturn version. If you want it with an undub hack, then port the undub hack to the Saturn version. That is a far more technically feasible option than what you are asking.

A guy can dream tho.......
Mega Man 7 > 3 > 2 > 9 > Wily Wars (with SRAM hack) > 5 > 6 > 4 > Powered Up > V(GB) > 10 > 1 > The Power Fighters > The Power Battle > IV(GB) > III(GB) > II(GB) > Dr. Wily's Revenge(GB) > Mega Man 8 > Mega Man and Bass > Mega Man (Game Gear) > Mega Man and Bass - Challengers from the Future

fianovale

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 12, 2020, 10:39:12 pm »
Hi! one question: wich emulator work for MMX4, i use retroarch with bettle hw core, but it crash after beat the intro and before select stage. Thanks!

October 12, 2020, 11:16:38 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
i made it wok with retrarch 1.9.0 with pcsxrearmed core, the odd thing is that if i put any bios the game crash, with no bios the works perfect.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 10:58:12 am by fianovale »

haggers

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 13, 2020, 06:40:21 am »
Both links are dead (taken down yesterday it seems), any chance of a re-upload? Thank you.

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 14, 2020, 09:30:50 am »
I went to try it out today and found out the links are dead. What happened?

TSP184

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 13, 2020, 02:34:34 pm »
The files on Mediafire were taken down not too long ago. That's a real shame.

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 14, 2020, 10:14:59 am »
Yeah, it's really sad. And I was looking forward to playing the updated versions.

TSP184

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 14, 2020, 10:19:59 am »
Well, I was able to get a link for the Megaman X4 patch on a YouTube video just some hours ago, though I don’t think it’s the latest version. Here’s the link of the video : https://youtu.be/2rq38cTKR2k
Check in the comments.

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 14, 2020, 01:31:14 pm »
Thanks to everyone who reported the dead links. They're now updated, everything has been moved to archive.org

TSP184

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 14, 2020, 01:33:32 pm »
Thank you very much !

November 14, 2020, 03:58:31 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Hello again.
I tried to patch Mega Man 8, with your .xdelta file, but I get the error "xdelta3: EOF in decode: XD3_INTERNAL" and the patched file is almost half the size of the original. I did use the REDUMP USA release, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 03:58:31 pm by TSP184 »

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 14, 2020, 06:14:56 pm »
These are regular xdelta patches, not xdelta3. Try xdelta UI

TSP184

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 15, 2020, 04:47:14 am »
I used that version of xdelta already, and it didn't work. I have no idea where the problem is
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 03:08:12 am by TSP184 »

DonPatchi

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 06, 2021, 05:52:13 am »
What's exactly the difference between these, i'm confused by the OP:

Final Weapon Script (Hondoori Subs)].7z
and
Final Weapon Script].7z (

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 06, 2021, 09:18:48 pm »
Hondoori Subs: Video subtitles based on Hondoori's translation. Made specifically for the PS1 version (320x240), so the font size and style is optimized for a low resolution.
Final Weapon Subs: Videos come straight from the Final Weapon project, so the writing is in the same style as the rest of the retranslation. However, they were originally made for the PC version (640x480), so the font is smaller and thinner. It might not look too well on certain systems/screens/filters.

acediez

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X4 Undub (v1.12) & Mega Man 8 Undub (v1.4)
« Reply #136 on: July 24, 2021, 05:20:16 am »

Mega Man X4 Undub Update

v1.12
- Built on latest mkpsxiso (v1.25)
- (Final Weapon script versions) Variable font width spacing
- (Final Weapon script versions) Restored original font on menus.
- (Final Weapon script versions) Fixed two instances of text frozen on screen after the text box closed (Zero after fighting Magma Dragoon, Zero before entering Space Port)

A long overdue polishing update. Download links on the first post. There's also a better showcase of the patch variants now.

I also included a couple of QoL hack instructions on the readme (enable Exit Stage button and disable double tap dash)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 05:06:04 pm by acediez »

SonicShadow7500

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X4 Undub (v1.12) & Mega Man 8 Undub (v1.4)
« Reply #137 on: July 24, 2021, 08:59:26 pm »
Finally, After 2 Years, You Fixed the Texts That Was Still Visible After Box Closes, Thank You, acediez.

acediez

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X4 Undub (v1.13) & Mega Man 8 Undub (v1.4)
« Reply #138 on: August 09, 2021, 03:44:36 am »
v1.13
- Patch versions: simplified as "Undub" and "Undub + Retranslation" (previous video subtitles alternative removed from this and future releases)
- Videos re-centered vertically. Previous release placed two-lines subtitles too low and partially out of the screen.
- Corrected the localization error in Magma Dragoon stage introduction ("Irregular" -> "Maverick")
- Touched up colors in the loading screen logo (stray red pixels removed)
- (Retranslation) Fixed a typo in Split Mushroom's dialogue (X's side)
- (Retranslation) Fixed a few text boxes that were causing crashes on real hardware (wasn't affecting emulators, apparently)

I went through the whole game on real hardware after the previous release and found quite a few problems. The most serious one being the game crashing in various parts of the game after dialogues. However it didn't affect any emulator that I've tried. I don't know the cause, I'm not as familiar with X4's text display code as I got to be with X5-X6, and the tool I'm using is different. But as a workaround, I found that if I used less characters per line in those dialogues, the crashes stopped occuring. So I had to move a bit of text around.

Also, the alignment of videos was wrong, and after going through the process of re-enconding all of them once again, I decided to simplify things and discontinue the alternate video subtitle versions. There's now a single "retranslation" version, with the videos I thought looked better.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 03:56:43 am by acediez »

SonicShadow7500

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X4 Undub (v1.13) & Mega Man 8 Undub (v1.4)
« Reply #139 on: August 09, 2021, 01:31:35 pm »
If You Removed Video Subtitles Alternative, It's Fine, Thank You For Bug Fixes, Including Text Boxes Between Magma Dragoon Stage and Space Port Stage.