News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Proud to announce my very first project: Super Meowrio Bros!  (Read 1971 times)

ArkthePieKing

• View Profile
Proud to announce my very first project: Super Meowrio Bros!
« on: April 16, 2018, 01:08:33 am »
Greetings friends! Long, LONG time fan of all the hard work everyone puts in here, I've spent the better part of a decade on these forums mostly just popping into projects to say some encouraging words and foster an atmosphere of positivity. The things you all do have always been the next best thing to magic to me, and I thank you all for the years of entertainment. Finally, I've decided to undergo my own project. It's not anything extravagant, just a graphics hack of Super Mario Bros on the NES, but I'm looking forward to finishing it and sharing it with everyone  :laugh:

The idea is simple: Take Super Mario Bros, and make as many things as possible cat themed. It's simple, cute, and makes for some excellent puns (Collect the MOUSEshroom to power up!) I picked this game because its simple, and straightforward. I didn't want to overwhelm myself and give up part way through. Right now all I have done are the Mushroom, the Goomba, some of big Mario's sprites, the fireballs which are now yarn balls, and the little flag that sticks out of the castles. And now, please enjoy some screenshots!

IcePenguin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
Re: Proud to announce my very first project: Super Meowrio Bros!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 02:18:36 am »
Loving that mushroom sprite!  Haha.  (I like mice)  Is this hack by chance inspired by the cat suit power up?  Anyway, I remember my first hack, and it was exhilarating to do.  Hope you have fun with yours!  Graphics hacks are the best way to learn when you are new to hacking.   :thumbsup:

Eden.GT

• Hardcore SMB1 Player and Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 02:01:49 am »
No changing of levels?

Mauron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 06:31:14 pm »
It looks amusing. The top should say Meowrio or Mewuigi, depending on who you're playing as.
Mauron wuz here.

vhr2121

• Vincent Hernandez! Cool Story, Bro!
    • View Profile
    • Vincent's Hidden Gaming Place
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 07:09:11 pm »
I'm wondering the same thing Eden.GT asked. Is this just a graphics hack? Or will the levels be edited as well?

Either way, it looks nice!

ArkthePieKing

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 02:08:18 am »
Hey, so sorry for the silence. Life sort of happened hard and fast and I haven't had any time to work on this. I've got a couple of new screenshots though! I made the question blocks kitty faces, and turned the fire flower into catnip. I want to touch up the graphics for that though. I also COMPLETELY mangled the spinies and plan on redoing them, ha ha.

And no, I don't plan on changing the level layout at all. This one's strictly graphics. Though I think for whatever I do after this one, I want to start getting into fun stuff like text editing, gameplay changing, etc.

I really appreciate all the positive feedback! This has been a lot of fun for me so far. I've never really done anything creative, or anything that I'm proud to show off to other people. It's been a major self esteem boost so far. :D

werewolfslayr925

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 09:03:08 pm »
This looks really cute! The kitty face blocks look to me like the mouth is upside down, but I usually draw kitty faces like this :3

Have you considered making the coins to match the designs that maneki-neko ("lucky cats") have? Even something simple like a slight change to something like Meowth's head coin (just horizontal lines) would be another cute touch.

Looks good so far :3 Keep up the good work. What do you have in mind for Meowser (Bowser)?
As the harbor is welcome to the sailor, so is the last line to the scribe.

- complaint in the margin of a medieval manuscript

ArkthePieKing

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2018, 05:23:50 am »
Hmm. That's actually how I drew the block. Follow the black pixels in the screenshot. If it's too ambiguous, maybe I can redraw them?

No, I hadn't even thought of the coins. That's a solid idea! Adding that one to the list. I'll probably work on it a bit more tomorrow. I have to do it in short bursts because of my schedule.

MEOWZER!? I love it!!! I don't have any ideas for him yet. I haven't taken a solid look at his sprite. It'll probably be one of the last ones I do. I need to finish up all of Mario's sprites, then I want to do the baddies, and I'll end up doing Bowzer last, before moving on to miscellaneous stuff like changing the name, the title screen, etc. Still, Meowzer? I love that so much. That's a GOOD pun. :D

werewolfslayr925

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2018, 12:29:39 pm »
Hmm. That's actually how I drew the block. Follow the black pixels in the screenshot. If it's too ambiguous, maybe I can redraw them?

Now that you mention the black part, yes, I can see it. However, I always saw the question mark in that orange color. Maybe it's just how I look at things, but as they are, they look like :E

No, I hadn't even thought of the coins. That's a solid idea! Adding that one to the list. I'll probably work on it a bit more tomorrow. I have to do it in short bursts because of my schedule.

I know how that is. Keep at it. It'll be worth it. You have a really cute, simple idea with this hack. I look forward to seeing what else you come up with :3

MEOWZER!? I love it!!! I don't have any ideas for him yet. I haven't taken a solid look at his sprite. It'll probably be one of the last ones I do. I need to finish up all of Mario's sprites, then I want to do the baddies, and I'll end up doing Bowzer last, before moving on to miscellaneous stuff like changing the name, the title screen, etc. Still, Meowzer? I love that so much. That's a GOOD pun. :D

Glad you like. I love puns ;D
As the harbor is welcome to the sailor, so is the last line to the scribe.

- complaint in the margin of a medieval manuscript

Deathofreligion

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 08:59:27 pm »
 :)