News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Last Bible III English Translation Released  (Read 4919 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: Last Bible III English Translation Released
« on: April 14, 2018, 07:40:46 am »

Update By: ddstranslation

Last Bible III for the SNES has finally been translated from Japanese into American English and the patch is now available for download.

The Last Bible series of games began on the Game Boy as a spinoff of the Megami Tensei franchise. Instead of the usual near-future apocalypse setting, Last Bible's setting is closer to light medieval fantasy. Combat is turn-based, and retains the Megaten standard of being able to persuade enemies to join your team, as well as fusing them together to create stronger beasts.

The English translation project started in April 2017 at the request of Tom, the same person who translated the Game Boy Color version of Last Bible II. DDSTranslation did all of the hacking, and FlashPV was in charge of the graphics work and font.

Now after a year of coding, translating, and testing, the final result can be enjoyed by all Megaten and JRPG fans. (Despite what you may have heard online, and despite the seemingly childish cover art, this game is not intended for children.)

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

patuli

• View Profile
Re: Translations: Last Bible III English Translation Released
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 02:17:21 pm »
Congratulations on this one, there's a lot of "new-old" games lately, hope to play this from start to finish,
as soon as I have some free time.
thanks TOM and DDS!

Griever_GF

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 03:16:58 pm »
All glory to Tom the Retro Translator! :thumbsup:

hollowshadow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 02:27:30 am »
Thanks! I'm playing it right now. I like this game so far, I enjoy retro RPGs.

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 02:36:11 am »
Glad you like it! Please tell me what you thought once you've beaten the game!

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 08:47:12 am »
Is any Megaten game meant for kids?????

But seriously, I'm not normally a fan of older Megaten games, but I know Tom's work is extremely high quality, so I'll probably play this at some point. Anyone else on the fence reading this should play it too!

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 09:52:31 am »
A lot of news sites have been saying that the game is aimed at children and comparing it to Devil Children.

Judging by the cover, the enemy artwork, the colorful graphics and the early events in the first village, I can see how they'd get that idea (especially if they can't read the script)... But once you leave Ragha Village, it gets darker, then it gets brutal... And it just doesn't let up.

They cross the line, draw a NEW line, and then cross that one too. Some of the scenes will seriously have you wondering... Did that just happen!? I suppose it's a sign of the times. Tengai Makyou Zero had some pretty crazy stuff in it too. But it wasn't "brutal," aside from what happened between Agni and Ninigi, maybe.

Seeing how far they push the boundaries, it makes me wonder how "cleaned up" the official releases of some of the old RPG translations we've known and loved are, because nothing like this would have been allowed back in the day, not by a long shot.

Wendell

• View Profile
    • Superman Summaries
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 12:25:30 pm »
I was already excited to give this a go, but now I've definitely got to see for myself the envelope-pushing you just alluded to, Tom.
Read my reviews of early Superman comics at
Superman Summaries!

Bongo`

• Hatred is an illness...I feel your pain.
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2018, 10:55:06 pm »
Thank you all who are involved in the completion of this project. Great work on both hacking and translation. I always wanted to do this game, and now I don't have to pull my hair out trying to. That darn scripting engine was a pain to deal with.  :banghead: Anyway, keep them coming!. Still a few gems left.
R.I.P Rose Mary C. 11/20/1937 - 2/11/2007
Dynamic-Designs Over 30 years of video game experience!
Completed: Doraemon RPG, Fuzzical Fighter, Gulliver Boy, Just Breed, FEDA, Mystic Ark, Slayers ( Co-op ), Lennus-II
Current: Aretha-2 and many more...

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 01:30:17 am »
DDSTranslation really made the script pleasant to work with. I hope you enjoy playing through it, totally pain-free!

Jarlaxle

• View Profile
    • My Twitch Channel
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 01:40:21 am »
You bloody champions! I'm doing a MegaTen marathon on Twitch, so I can now add this game to the list. Can't wait to play through it (and the other Last Bible titles) Cheers!

Sanedan56

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2018, 08:11:18 am »
I think it's easy to confuse this for a game aimed for children, comparing it with the rest of the Last Bible series,
including the Game Gear games.
Really, you don't even need to leave Ragha Village to see how dark the game can be. Still, the game is worth playing
because how involved the story is. Thank you for the translation.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2018, 04:35:07 pm »
It's a game on a Nintendo console. It can't get darker than Friday the 13th Game Over, can it? :D
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

cccmar

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2018, 01:36:45 am »
It's a game on a Nintendo console. It can't get darker than Friday the 13th Game Over, can it? :D

Well, the editors had the free hand to do whatever they wanted with this game, and you can see it from a certain point onwards in particular. And also, it's still an offshoot of the SMT series, which definitely wasn't all sunshine and rainbows. :D

Tobas

• Need a Spanish translator? I'm your man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2018, 11:55:34 am »
Started playing this last night. got into 3 fights outside of town, paid 100 gold total to recruit a unicorn and goblin, thrashed a scorpion with my new monster squad. 10/10. pokemon ain't got shit on this.

davidvinc

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2018, 12:34:16 pm »
Congrats Tom! I'll definitely look into this one, I had a blast with Tengai Makyou Zero!

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2018, 11:18:20 am »
Glad you like it Tobas, and I look forward to seeing your playthrough if you ever choose to record it, David!

There's a version 2 patch in the queue, by the way. There are two windows that will display the default hero's name, even if you change it in the current patch. (The version two patch will fix it.)

saldite

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2018, 11:34:15 am »
I remember seeing this game years ago after finding out my copy of Revelations: The Demon Slayer wasn't actually a demon slayer or revelations, and thinking to myself, "This will never be translated; it's probably too much of a pain to do so for less-popular SMT spinoff".

Glad to see my pessimism was proven wrong. :beer:

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2018, 10:00:14 am »
The version two patch has been released, so please download it!

And saldite, I think a lot of people never expected a translation. People are very dismissive of Last Bible on the whole, but I think people will be pleasantly surprised by LB III, if they happen to give it a chance. I hope that now, with the patch, people can discover how great it was (and still is).

patuli

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2018, 02:25:00 pm »
I found out a chimera fight with estoma on, so I was wondering if there's some info, on the hidden bosses around the world map.