News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Super Mario Unlimited - DELUXE Edition.. in progress  (Read 11851 times)

frantik

• View Profile
Re: Super Mario Unlimited - DELUXE Edition.. in progress
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2018, 09:44:19 am »
Possible reason for the odd original colors...

It's because I based my original decisions on the regular FCEUX palette and also the SMB Utility palette to some degree.. neither of which are accurate palettes.  Super Mario Unlimited looks best on FCEUX with the default palette.  Since I first started working SMU, emulators have gotten more accurate and I also personally want to make it look best on real hardware instead of one random emulator, because that's how I play NES these days, and if you're gonna pick one representation, it might as well be the original system.  So now I've been basing my decisions on NTSC emulation modes using more accurate palettes as well as my LCD screen hooked up to my real NES running a PowerPak.  I have been planning to get a real CRT tv to double check the color choices before I release this version too. 

Some of these levels also look better because I've done even more work to control the colors exactly how I want them; level options which would change only one color In the original SMU will change a whole bunch of colors in the deluxe version. Or like in World 1-3, it used to use a castle palette with a custom background color, now it uses its own totally custom palette.

frantik

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2018, 06:42:49 pm »
Been continuing to tweak minor things in the original engine.. finally tracked down where the code to slow down shells as they were falling was.. I don't know why this is included in the original game but it can cause mario to run into a shell as it slows down, so I fixed it.    I also want to fix the music engine so it doesn't reset the music every time you go in a pipe.. for levels which are pipe mazes this is especially important.

I also finally picked up a CRT and now I'm not so sure about some of my color choices.. I had been using a real NES hooked up to an LCD TV via composite and also an LCD monitor with emulators in NTSC emulation mode to check my colors, and both of them look different from the CRT..  :crazy: Some of the colors which look bad on my LCD TV look great on my CRT TV.. trying to choose the "best" colors is almost impossible with so many different representations!

frantik

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2019, 06:42:30 pm »
Been a minute since I worked on this project but I recently picked it back up.  I finally got to work expanding 6-5 into a full level instead of cheaping out and using a hidden warp zone to make the pipe take you to world 7

a little preview..

and I also think I'm going to just go with Super Mario Unlimited Deluxe with no "edition" cause the tiny text is really hard to read on small screen CRTs, especially with the rotating colors.. it causes a lot of weird artifacts

I think the main thing I want to do now is figure out how to make sure at the final bowser fight that you have to get close enough to trigger the scroll stop which allows bowser to take damage.. otherwise you can shoot at him all day and he doesn't get hurt. I might also expand 8-5 like i did with 6-5 instead making you run the course twice.  I don't think i will alter other levels much though.. these two levels both were cut short due to running out of space so I don't mind adding onto them

Anyways yeah just an update, hopefully I will finish this up soon. 

BTW it's funny to see the original SMU has made it onto Chinese multicart roms.. I guess that's a compliment

frantik

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2020, 06:19:23 pm »
This whole covid lockdown has given me the free time to finally finish this hack up... only working on a few minor changes left.. really in the home stretch and hope to see a release sometime in 2020, so stay tuned

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2020, 09:53:46 pm »
Cool! This is one of my favorite SMB hacks of all time. Can't wait to see it completed! :)

diablo666

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2020, 03:48:34 am »
We look forward to your hacking :-) This will be a "gift" for many. I liked that version, so I’m waiting for this   

Grimlock

• Graphics Artist, Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2020, 10:06:35 pm »
Any way you could integrate the two player hack made by CorpseGrinder?  That would be a pretty epic upgrade.

Here's the hack:

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4180/

« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 10:14:44 pm by Grimlock »

frantik

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2020, 11:48:19 pm »
Any way you could integrate the two player hack made by CorpseGrinder?  That would be a pretty epic upgrade.

That would be cool but I use Luigi's coin counter for the mario coins and other stuff like that already, can't have Mario and Luigi both in this hack at the same time, let alone the complexities of figuring out how to switch the mapper to the one I'm using, etc

Played through the first "beta" version of the completed hack this weekend.. and found like 15 things I need to work on  :banghead:.. but they're all pretty minor.. getting close!

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2020, 05:31:48 pm »
Looking forward to the deluxe version, I really did enjoy SMBU.  :cookie:

frantik

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Today at 08:59:23 pm »
Hey Googie, good to see ya around :woot!:

Been working a lot on the final Bowser fight.. in the original SMU, the focus wasn't really on the bowser fight, the challenge was more getting through the final level twice without getting hit. The idea was to extend the gameplay more and add difficulty, but really it just made it annoying and not fun. 

Now the whole "run thru the level twice" concept has been dropped, but you still need fire to beat Bowser.  Now the fight is in stages.. for a while Bowser is on screen, then he leaves and Podoboos show up, and a fire flower will come out of the pipe at the top of the screen.  Also when Bowser's hit points get low enough he starts throwing hammers in addition to fireballs

I added some custom music to the Bowser fight too.. doing so I realized Dr. Floppy was a madman and hacked the music engine to pieces, he needs more credit for his work on this hack

Anyways a screen shot.. super close to being done, mostly doing icing/extra type stuff.  With so much free time I keep coming up with new ideas