News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Injecting NES Hacks into GBA NES Classics?  (Read 377 times)

Psycho Fox

• View Profile
Injecting NES Hacks into GBA NES Classics?
« on: April 11, 2018, 02:25:26 pm »
As the title asks.  Is this something that is remotely feasible?  As far as I'm aware the GBA releases were based around emulation and weren't built from the ground up the portable...

It would be great to inject, say, Castlevania, with some of the lovely hacks found on this site. :)

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Injecting NES Hacks into GBA NES Classics?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 02:35:17 pm »
If you can find where the NES ROM is contained within the GBA ROM, it might be as simple as copy/pasting the hacked ROM into the GBA ROM.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 02:39:19 pm »
One question: why? What good reason can one have for playing NES games on a GBA in 2018? There are so many better handhelds for such purposes, not least because the GBA actually has a lower resolution than the NES, meaning the Classics released had modified graphics to make them look better.

Not only that, but there are several actual NES emulators for the GBA, which would give far better functionality than injecting a ROM, plus be a lot less effort.

I have a Wikipad tablet which comes with a gamepad attachment, so playing NES games on a huge HD screen is way better than trying to hack a GBA. Seriously, I can't think of a single good reason to do this. :D

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 04:16:52 pm »
"where the NES ROM is contained within the GBA ROM"
I believe that can be done for some of the non classic NES/famicom mini games that use NES emulators. Said classic NES/famicom mini games... that way be dragons https://mgba.io/2014/12/28/classic-nes/

To slightly expand on what Psyklax said then if you are limited to GBA hardware then the emulators on the hardware are called pocketNES and HVCA, I suggest playing with both as the latter has a slightly different scaling method (pocketnes does some odd tile cropping type effect which messes with the text in some games).

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 01:55:56 am »
I believe the GBA NES Classic/Famicom Mini series had some kind of protection (which is why in most emulators you just get an error screen.
Even though the scene release "crack" patches, I recall they weren't complete. They'd make games run but would have issues like the floor in SMB being a completely black strip so you can't see where the holes are.
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."