News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Solar Jetroid - combining 2 NES games  (Read 491 times)

PolishedTurd

• View Profile
Solar Jetroid - combining 2 NES games
« on: April 09, 2018, 11:17:18 am »
I am wondering about how feasible it would be to combine Solar Jetman and Metroid into a single game. Metroid is too slow and repetitive for me by itself nowadays. But if it were an excursion from Solar Jetman, where you periodically land the ship in a Metroid-y world, explore a little, go kill a boss, then get back in the ship and fly to another world, I would enjoy it. It's essentially the same idea as Blaster Master, where the  vehicular exploration component is almost an entirely separate game from the overhead shooting component, and you go back and forth between them.

I have not hacked Metroid myself, but I know it has been thoroughly hacked and is reasonably well understood. Solar Jetman is on Mapper 7, which I have no experience with... It seems like the approach would be to "host" Metroid in the Solar Jetman game. Sprites and backgrounds seem easy enough; the challenge would be to bring in the physics, animations and (ideally) the sounds and music from Metroid.

Can someone with experience frame the approximate difficulty of this? I am able to understand and write ASM, work with a debugger, swap memory pages, etc., although I don't have nearly the depth of familiarity with the NES hardware and functionality that some users here do. I guess I'm looking for either a "forget it, too hard" or "actually, it wouldn't be so hard..." kind of answer (and why).

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
Re: Solar Jetroid - combining 2 NES games
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 03:31:14 pm »
Forget it, too hard. ;)

But seriously, not only are you making a complete level hack of Metroid, and of Solar Jetman, but you're integrating the two. Even without the prospect of integrating them, that's a lot of work, but when you take the latter into account, it sounds like more trouble than it's worth. I kind of think it'd be better to modify the gameplay a tad and make a brand new game to release on Steam - at least the hard work would result in getting paid. :D

I'm not saying it's impossible, mind. But I don't know of any hack where someone's combined more than one game in one ROM. Oh, except for Mario All-Stars on the NES. And those pirate multicarts. Come to think of it... ;)

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Solar Jetroid - combining 2 NES games
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 01:00:37 am »
Sorry to be so blunt, but if you have to ask if it's too difficult, the answer is yes.

This is a very big undertaking, and the level of programming skill required is substantial.  If you had the necessary skill, you would be able to get an idea of how much work is necessary.  The fact that you don't know and have to ask tells me you don't have the chops.

BUT if you have a passion for this project, maybe this can be a good vessel to improve your skill.  So maybe it's worth trying anyway.  Even if you aren't successful and nothing ever comes from the project, it still would be a tremendous learning experience.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 01:07:19 am by Disch »