News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Help with Altering Font  (Read 1369 times)

Zaikal

• View Profile
Help with Altering Font
« on: April 07, 2018, 04:33:27 pm »
So I've been trying to get into ROM hacking and Japanese translation recently and I'm at a bit of a stump. I've explored around this site and delved into the translation section of the beginner's guide. The document "Table for Dummies" has provided a good starting base for me.
Reading the first part of this document has taught me how to create tables. I practiced this by creating a table for the Japanese version of Link to the Past.

However, the second part of this document is where I am confused. The document discusses relative searching and it requiring entering fonts into the ROM, but does not explain how to do so. I have trying to find documentation on this matter but I have only found this [http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/16906-how-to-change-the-font-in-a-rom/], but I am not too sure how accurate it is.

Can anybody provide me advice or refer me to documentation that explains how to input English font into a Japanese ROM so that I can use relative search and proceed with translating the Japanese ROM to English?

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Altering Font
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 12:59:19 am »
It's just like it says in your link: it's just a graphics hack.  You would change the font the same way you would change any other graphic in the game – if the font graphics are compressed, then you'll have to decompress them and re-compress them, just like any other graphic in the game.

In the case of Link to the Past, I expect the ROM has been thoroughly documented and there should surely be some information out there about editing the graphics.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Zaikal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 02:57:50 pm »
It's just like it says in your link: it's just a graphics hack.  You would change the font the same way you would change any other graphic in the game – if the font graphics are compressed, then you'll have to decompress them and re-compress them, just like any other graphic in the game.

In the case of Link to the Past, I expect the ROM has been thoroughly documented and there should surely be some information out there about editing the graphics.

Just to clarify, does this mean that I have to edit the Japanese kana graphics and replace them with English alphabet letters? I have been able to use a compression tool and done some experimenting with editing graphics on the title screen.

USC

• Submission Reviewer
  • Obviously Outdated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 11:02:22 am »
Assuming there's not already an English font in the game, then yes, you'll have to replace the Japanese font graphics with an English one.

In really simple terms, the game reads in the numbers given to it, and draws the tile that's assigned to that number. Tile 65 can look like the letter 'A' or the hiragana 'あ' - the game doesn't care, it just draws that tile whenever it sees the number 65. The number itself has no inherent meaning.