News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Dragon Warrior 1-3 DX  (Read 5598 times)

lastdual

• View Profile
Dragon Warrior 1-3 DX
« on: April 04, 2018, 11:18:55 pm »
The early Dragon Quest games have seen several great remakes, but there's still a certain charm to the NES originals. That said, I can't help but prefer the character sprites in the GBC versions - so why not port them to the NES? For this project, I focused solely on the Roto Trilogy. The hero and all party members, along with all NPCs and controllable sprites like the ship are being redrawn, though new backgrounds aren't planned at this time.

Using the GBC remakes as a base, I'm adapting the sprites as necessary, taking a bit more liberty in some cases (like the female sage below). The project is nearing completion, though I haven't played all the way through each of the games yet to fully test things out.

releasethedogs

• View Profile
Re: Dragon Warrior 1-3 DX
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 12:23:42 am »
cool idea.

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 12:33:00 am »
Porting these sprites into the original games looks pretty decent, I'm not going to lie.

However, I think the biggest thing we need with the early Dragon Quest games is simply uncensored versions. Classic Japanese title screens, crosses on the churches, the original bunny girl sprites, and restored dialogue along with the removing of the incongruous Olde English style.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 02:25:11 am »
Classic Japanese title screens, crosses on the churches, the original bunny girl sprites, and restored dialogue along with the removing of the incongruous Olde English style.

I tried that: the title screen was a pain in the ass, since they replaced tiles with graphics used elsewhere, meaning there no room left over. I didn't know about a bunny girl (I've played through 1 and 2, I remember one girl in number 2, maybe there are others in 3). And you know what? I actually kind of like the writing style: it gives the games a bit of character. :) The translation isn't actually bad, it's just done in a way that some don't like.

Also, the three games are actually better in the US version, so I suppose the only logical changes are to remove 'censorship' of religious symbols etc. That would be very simple, actually.

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 07:33:29 am »
Title screen: I see a lot of roms get expanded as far as memory. Would that be a practical solution?

With the bunny girls, I was mostly thinking of 4 where they figure more prominently. I honestly never knew they were bunny girls until I played the Japanese version and said wow, this tradition makes sense now.

And yes, as far as the translation it does have a certain amount of support, as does anything that people have gotten used to. I played Dragon Warrior when I was 8 years old and loved the rendering at the time, but here was my take: It made me think of the series in a primarily western aesthetic style. As I played them, I expected a series about fearsome knights and dragons, epic battles, medieval scenarios, etc. Instead, I felt increasingly disappointed as I played through the games as they became more goofy and awkward as the series went on. These days Dragons Quest 3 and 4 are considered the finest rpgs of the NES era, but at that time they were met with increasingly diminished enthusiasm and I think that the aesthetic confusion was a primary factor. Granted that in those days, anime had not permeated the US in the way it has today and if the DQ series was presented to us in a manner more true to the Japanese aesthetic, we may have been even less enthusiastic when we received them.

This however is a different era. I'd like to believe that there are retro loving people who want faithful versions of these games without the faux western aspects--versions that will meld aesthetically with our later iterations. But to your last point, I agree that we don't need the actual Japanese versions. Most of the additions made to the US localizations besides the issues I outlined are of value, especially the intros to 2 and 3. While adding the multi directional sprites to 1 was overall a good thing, they are a little bit ugly though compared to the more elegantly drawn but forward facing DQ1j sprites.

Even after the arguments I've made for adding back the contemporary style, zaniness and adult humor of the Japanese releases, I'm sure many people will cling to their love of Ye Olde English renderings. Thats fine, we have them! I just think we deserve an alternative.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 08:29:15 am by Chicken Knife »

lastdual

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 08:15:00 am »
While I prefer "Dragon Quest" and could do without the censorship, overall I do feel we came out ahead with the western releases, especially given the addition of battery saves, the expanded intros and the bringing of DQ1&2 up to DQ3's graphical standards (mostly). Granted, I can also understand the disconnect Chicken Knife describes. The quirkiness was lost on me as a child, and I never felt DQ had the "cool" factor that FF's visuals seemed to impart at the time. I didn't grow to appreciate the series until much later.

In any case, though I'm not up to re-translating the games myself, if anyone would like to do so and incorporate the DX sprites, you certainly have my blessing :)

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 08:38:06 am »
There wouldn't be any real reason to do brand new translations. If someone could port the translations done by RPGONE and DQ Translations for the Super Famicom remakes into expanded versions of the original games, that would seem to be the way to go. I've seen that kind of thing done for a lot of RPGs recently. By Dragon Warrior IV, a lot of the Old English had been filtered out already so I'd almost prefer leaving that one as is than using the DS remake version with all its accents.

Aeana

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2018, 01:34:51 pm »
The original translations are excellent. One may not like the middle English vibe in the first two games, and I could imagine an edit to remove that, but 3 and 4 don't have that. The amount of effort and care that went into the translations of Dragon Warrior 1-4 was really a cut above anything else at the time, and they certainly don't deserve to be replaced by stuff like this

DavidtheIdeaMan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2018, 06:52:49 pm »
Im going to support this project like heck,Im a huge fan of the Dragon Quest games and Im glad you are upgrading the sprites but also maybe you could make the games as well like adding the redone music from the remakes etc. :)

Orochi Kusanagi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2018, 06:58:42 pm »
Huge DQ fan, this is right up my alley! Looking forward to the release.

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2018, 08:52:55 pm »
they certainly don't deserve to be replaced by stuff like this

In other words, edgelord teenage translators coming across a line that has several translations and they choose the more controversial one. Unless this is just making shit up, which is worse.

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2018, 09:13:29 pm »
Fair enough on the quality of the original translation of 3. It could stand to have some of its quirky adult humor restored but only minor tweaks would be needed. I have only gone through the Super Famicom remakes of I & II once or twice and I don't have a clear memory whether or not those translations are any less suspect than your typical fan product. I haven't played the GBC ports so I can't speak to those.

I'm glad to see people chiming in and having a passion for the classic NES Dragon Quests. In spite of my gripes, nothing beats them for me. They are the bedrock of all things JRPG.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 10:05:40 am by Chicken Knife »

Reiska

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2018, 02:37:12 am »
I frankly enjoyed the re-localization of 3 on mobile, which was definitely done in the "modern" DQ localization style, accents and all.  It makes the mobile version one of my favorite versions of the game for a casual quickplay.

Frankly, if the mobile script could be dropped into the NES version, I'd be a happy camper.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2018, 08:21:05 am »
In other words, edgelord teenage translators coming across a line that has several translations and they choose the more controversial one. Unless this is just making shit up, which is worse.
This translation was finished in 2009 by DQ Translations, and I'm pretty sure that they were all adults when they made this... (Which may be worse, depending on your outlook)
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

lastdual

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2018, 10:22:10 am »
Thanks for the feedback!

Im going to support this project like heck,Im a huge fan of the Dragon Quest games and Im glad you are upgrading the sprites but also maybe you could make the games as well like adding the redone music from the remakes etc. :)

I'm afraid that altering the music is beyond my skill, especially if you mean finding a way to remix the SNES tunes for the NES sound chip. And honestly, I'm rather fond of the original soundtracks.

I discovered a collection of save states over at emuWorks for DQ1&3, which, along with an ancient Nesticle save game for DQ2 from Zophar's Domain, are speeding up my playtesting. Hopefully the whole trilogy will see a release early next week.

Aeana

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2018, 04:40:06 pm »
I frankly enjoyed the re-localization of 3 on mobile, which was definitely done in the "modern" DQ localization style, accents and all.  It makes the mobile version one of my favorite versions of the game for a casual quickplay.

Frankly, if the mobile script could be dropped into the NES version, I'd be a happy camper.
Yes, I like it a lot too. But I definitely think the NES translation is fine. I'd like to see the terms fixed to be in line with the new style, though.

Asaki

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2018, 02:51:12 am »
I haven't played the GBC ports so I can't speak to those.
I'm extremely biased, but I think Nob's translations are great. ¬_¬

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2018, 10:57:00 am »
I'm extremely biased, but I think Nob's translations are great. ¬_¬
I remember the par-CHEESY minigame with the guy that speaks in 2001 memes. ;D
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Orochi Kusanagi

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2018, 04:57:31 pm »
Yes, I like it a lot too. But I definitely think the NES translation is fine. I'd like to see the terms fixed to be in line with the new style, though.

I have to agree, if the terminology for spell names/monsters were updated it would be just about perfect.

The only DQ translation stuff that bothers me, is Ragnar type stuff in DQ4. It gets a bit hard to follow at times, but I must admit, it certainly gives the translation character.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2018, 06:19:35 pm »
The original translations are excellent. One may not like the middle English vibe in the first two games, and I could imagine an edit to remove that, but 3 and 4 don't have that.
The GBC versions of 1 and 2 removed that tone, but the mobile version re-introduced the NES's tone for some reason.  I wonder why, and I also wonder what changed between the three scripts.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 06:26:41 pm by Chronosplit »