News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: technical help wanted for 2600 programming  (Read 1166 times)

brettburlingame

• View Profile
technical help wanted for 2600 programming
« on: March 24, 2018, 08:08:14 pm »
(technical) 2600 racer I'm calling "the bandana bandits

March 24, 2018, 08:09:25 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I have no experience programming and I am just looking for advice to get me off of my feet

March 24, 2018, 08:18:45 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I am going to order a harmony cart soon, but  am greatly limited with resources, I have downloaded a lot of programming software, and I am starting to go through randomterrain's guide to programming, but I am honestly clueless on how to tackle this, and help is greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 03:11:24 pm by brettburlingame »

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: technical help wanted for 2600 programming
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 06:05:50 pm »
Writing programs for the Atari 2600 is VERY difficult as the system is extremely limited.  If you have no experience programming, this is probably not a good place to start.  (Writing software for the other 8-bit consoles isn't much easier.)
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

goldenband

• View Profile
Re: technical help wanted for 2600 programming
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 09:35:14 pm »
Programming the VCS in assembly is certainly hard, but Batari Basic is quite good at what it does, and very user-friendly. (And actually I think the simpler, older systems are often easier to grok since there's so little abstraction, but that's just me.)

Have you tried posting to AtariAge? They'd gladly help you there.