News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

Wolfenstein3D - SNES Uncut hack

Started by Fire-WSP, March 19, 2018, 10:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fire-WSP

That is cool, I will check it out as soon as I can.
Just a small update on the project.
Nothing has been done on it during summer time. With family and all that there was just no time.
But the project is not dead. As a matter of fact it is me who is waiting for more feedback from the community on the last build postet here a while ago.
Everything we wanted to do is in there already except for a few music files in order to make the Music complete.
Left to do is testing and tweaking the new additional levels and the Boss Rush Mode.
I heard it can be beat but I am sure something can be made better.
I never did Wolfenstein Level editing or creating before this project so I expect room for improvements.

Also I got word that the game can crash here and there under certain conditions. We need to check that out.
One more thing. The current build does not work on the SNES Mini emulator Canoe. At least not with stock settings.
Maybe somebody can investigate and maybe can come up with a solution?

skite2001

really nice progress so far :)

N.Dpendent

I got it running at the snes mini with hakchi 2.21f with the retroarch core

BIGLOU07

Hey you guys! I was one that told you I wanted to do some testing on this a couple of years ago. One of the older builds you had a few years back I tested it on the SNES mini and it worked very well and even on Canoe! This new build you got has MSU-1 content. Excellent stuff! I saw the video on YouTube. You guys did well. The music sounds just like the PC version. A lot has changed with the mini's. The emulation has gotten a lot better. I have been speaking to one of the developers over the years and have been updating it all along. The one thing that doesn't run very well on it is MSU-1 content. Well all of that's about to change. As you already know only certain SNES cores have MSU-1 support. Later SNES 9x cores like 2018 don't run very well on the device. Some MSU-1 games I find run very well on it though and some not so good they get choppy during fmv scenes and even when the CD quality music is being played. But all of that is about to change. The Faust core is being developed to run on it and it is the latest SNES core to have MSU-1 support added to it. It has already been put up there for testing but isn't quite ready yet. This Faust core runs really well on low powered devices like the SNES mini. The developers even have an extreme version that they will be implementing as well. I have seen recently one of the developers get some games working on it that didn't run well on it to run smooth as butter. MSU-1 games and I even seen this one guy had Sonic Mania running on it even though you have to install an extra hmod for it. But anyhow the new update is coming soon it was supposed to already be out by now but the developer has been busy and will be putting it out very soon. As soon as this happens I will be doing full testing on this. I appreciate the work you guys have done. I got your latest builds but you may want to refresh your links.

BIGLOU07

Quote from: Fire-WSP on October 01, 2022, 02:08:31 AMThat is cool, I will check it out as soon as I can.
Just a small update on the project.
Nothing has been done on it during summer time. With family and all that there was just no time.
But the project is not dead. As a matter of fact it is me who is waiting for more feedback from the community on the last build postet here a while ago.
Everything we wanted to do is in there already except for a few music files in order to make the Music complete.
Left to do is testing and tweaking the new additional levels and the Boss Rush Mode.
I heard it can be beat but I am sure something can be made better.
I never did Wolfenstein Level editing or creating before this project so I expect room for improvements.

Also I got word that the game can crash here and there under certain conditions. We need to check that out.
One more thing. The current build does not work on the SNES Mini emulator Canoe. At least not with stock settings.
Maybe somebody can investigate and maybe can come up with a solution?

Hey man you've done great. As far as I'm concerned take your time. Take as much time as you need! You've got something out there for people to test and I'm happy about that! I was talking to you guys for awhile. My father recently passed and stuff has really been crazy for me the last few months. I haven't been active talking to guys in this thread but I've been taking a peak every now and then just to see how things are going. I also recently have talked to some of the MSU-1 developers and I have been studying MSU-1 development. I will be contributing. I have a programming background. I am a full time mathematics professor. I took C++ and have actually done programming in Fortran. I have spoken with them recently and they are willing to help me get started on a project. They have my back. I actually found a guy who had created some music for Breath of Fire II and did a YouTube play through of the game with his music playing on it. He does C++ for a living. I introduced him to the site and now full MSU-1 development is going on for Breath of Fire II as we speak. Recently the developers have caught wind of this project though. They are excited. The links are now on Zeldix as a WIP. They are excited about what you all have done. I will message them and tell them to give some feedback as well. Just take your time man. Tweaks will be made. Other people may be able to come in and contribute........you never know! The eventual full release will be epic! As epic as the Doom Resurrection romhack for the 32x!!!!!!!!

radimerry

Finished Boss Rush on Bring Em On (S3).

Floor 1 = it's fine. You can be sloppy and still finish it off. Can this be done under 2 min PAR?? Would seem pretty difficult to me for four bosses.

Floor 2/3 = very likely not possible on pistol reset (die). Many players are going to find this stretch frustrating to get through with how they spend their ammo. And I'll be impressed if someone got through either floor under 2 min PAR (!) on S3 or S4.

Spoiler
player has to be ammo stingy = controlled short bursts of chaingun fire + only take advantage of up-close damage multiplier bonus. Otherwise you're in good danger of running out of bullets.
[close]

Floor 4 = 00:51.10. Too easy to finish and this time can be easily beaten. PAR time should be lowered to 1:00 or less.

Spoiler
hide behind a tree and blast away. no damage victory.
[close]

Total = 20:52.28, 2 tries.

Summary: should boss rush be challenging (F2, F3) or fun (F1, F4)? For skilled Wolfenstein players it's fine though, a good workout (ammo problem).

EDIT:
Dying on Boss Rush should reset level with last good weapon inventory to encourage RPG-like progress, not pistol reset unless forced through settings.

If Devil's energy projectiles can pass-through objects like bullets, those levels would be more fair (less player cheating).

Suggest adding in the Jaguar-exclusive carnage mode, via options menu. Extra Carnage: None, Low (25), Medium (50), High (75), Maximum (100). That can actually be fun since the arrangment can throw you off sometimes with higher-powered enemies (but no mutants!).

Matheus123

I've been extracting the last sprites from Wolfenstein 3D and Spear of Destiny

And i have thinking...
What if we made the Return to Danger and the Ultimate challenge im Snes version?

The results:

Spear of Destiny Expansions:

Note: if the images do not appear

https://ibb.co/7phkmtg
https://ibb.co/dK21Pk2
https://ibb.co/G7DSk33
https://ibb.co/Gn6F3Mg

https://ibb.co/r4mhXZK
https://ibb.co/jw8ky4J
https://ibb.co/BBm718c
https://ibb.co/NntD2KT
https://ibb.co/56m0fd2

Creature667

Absolutely!!! Would more Wolfenstein 3d on SNES really be a bad thing? My only question is would that content be on this original rom or on a separate one? I noticed in the Meet the Cast of this one there are all the Spear of Destiny bosses included, though I don't know what game mode has SoD playable if at all? I only beat the Redux Mode and not Classic...
Yo! I be gettin' them fat stacks shootin smack, makin rom hacks and sniffin butt-cracks... Boy,  I know this rhyme is whack, and my use of alliteration isn't exactly exhilarating, but it sure beats being depressed and on medicine, dressed like a furry and beating my meat to venison.

Creature667

I'm curious, Matteus. How much memory is still left on the SNES Wolf 3D rom? Could you feasibly port all the SoD and RtD assets in the same Rom? And if that is still possible, how many levels could you fit from both of those expansions? If it were possible to fit all the Wolf 3D games onto one SNES cart that would be outstanding... However, if one had to pick and choose what assets from Return to Danger to include due to memory constraints, I'd hope youd vote to keep the decent looking, lore friendly stuff, as a fair bit of it is schlocky as all hell, and not in a good pulp comic, 70's exploitation film kind of way. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that the garish colors and garbage map design of the 2 Expansions after Spear of Destiny would not be missed. But a couple redux versions of Return to Danger and Ultmate Challenge that fit as proper sequels with the original lore???

Well that might just be what the Doctor (Schaabs?) ordered...
Yo! I be gettin' them fat stacks shootin smack, makin rom hacks and sniffin butt-cracks... Boy,  I know this rhyme is whack, and my use of alliteration isn't exactly exhilarating, but it sure beats being depressed and on medicine, dressed like a furry and beating my meat to venison.

Fire-WSP

Mhm, Matteus is doing nice gfx but is not part of the team. I am not sure what you mean but mist of the Assets from Spear of Destiny are in our hack. All Bosses from W3d and Spear are present.
All Enemies too just not the Spear Levels.

Matheus123

It just a hypothesis, like,
"what if we a make Spear of Destiny Return to danger from Snes?"