News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Wolfenstein3D - SNES Uncut hack  (Read 150329 times)

Fire-WSP

• View Profile
Re: Wolfenstein3D - SNES Uncut hack
« Reply #280 on: January 01, 2022, 10:52:02 am »
Sounds all good.
Extending the rom is probably a good idea.

kalita-kan

• View Profile
« Reply #281 on: January 01, 2022, 08:54:46 pm »
I'll bump so Fire-WSP can post fresh news later.

Uncut sprites are in. Quickly played whole game and looks okay. There's more SNES points that require looking at though.

Fire-WSP

• View Profile
« Reply #282 on: January 02, 2022, 03:32:19 pm »
Thanks to kalita-kan (and Minucce) a major breakthrough regarding the sprites was possible.
This was still the biggest missing piece and it is working now.
I also got the tools to change and insert the sprites at any time.

There are still a few small things to look into.
Lets see how it turns out.

BIGLOU07

• View Profile
« Reply #283 on: January 20, 2022, 12:36:42 am »
This is looking good. I would like to propose an idea though. I don’t know if any of you guys would be down for it, but I believe it is something that could take this project to the next level. I know a few years back Dark Samus was working on increasing the resolution on the wall textures to 64x64 so they wouldn’t look so pixelated and incorporating uncompressed character sprites but it was causing a big hit on performance. I may be wrong but I think the lack of memory was the problem holding back this project from being everything it could be. I know from reading a previous post that Fire wants to keep the SNES limitations intact and make it a special uncut version just for the SNES. But why limit this project? Why hold it back from being everything it could be and should be? What would be a solution to these problems? The solution if possible would be to make an MSU-1 patch for this game. I don’t know if it’s possible or if extra help would be needed from the community, but it’s something that I believe should happen for this project. The memory would be expanded. Uncompressed sprites? No problem! Higher resolutions wall textures? No problem! CD quality audio? No problem! This could be a project the community would be talking about for years to come!

kalita-kan

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 20, 2022, 08:37:59 am »
Sprites are compressed for run-time performance, by not processing invisible pixels. Some levels are terrible due to huge number of guards (5-6 / 5-B).

Using higher-res wall textures would incur similar type of penalty. Lag can be bad already at 32x32. We're lucky to hit constant stride of 15 fps, but large or odd-shaped rooms can tank it.

CD quality audio = sure. But I have to make everything work as well as possible without extra chip / hardware enhancements.

There's enough engine hacking (NDA) left to do. So project is going to take time.

Matheus123

• View Profile
« Reply #285 on: January 20, 2022, 02:30:17 pm »

Hey, I was doing an uncensored version of Wolfenstein 3D sprites in the Snes version, I already got to restore some beta sprites of the mutant mouse attacking and dying, with blood, restoring the beta sprites was a challenge, I didn't have a program 32 bit that extract the beta Rom files, then I would print it in Bsnes Retroarch and assemble the sprites based on the warped pixels because of the bad resolution of the Snes version

Note:
if the images do not appear
https://ibb.co/rHFdpxS
https://ibb.co/wcQjYwQ
https://ibb.co/z7xxWz1
https://ibb.co/rt2NMyj
https://ibb.co/SyHbwS7
https://ibb.co/H4Tv5v9
https://ibb.co/C9LjQQs

Note:I also found that in the snes version, it has both a dark red color palette and a light red color palette, so some sprites from the snes version had a dark red color palette, like Mecha-Hitler(Meister) shooting , and the armor destroying itself, and also a light yellow, and dark yellow color palette version...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 02:38:07 pm by Matheus123 »

Fire-WSP

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: January 20, 2022, 07:44:42 pm »
Hi Matheus123,
nice to see more interest in this hack.
We have all sprites uncut in the game already. Same goes for the walls.
But I really didnt noticed the light and dark pal usage.
According to your pictures the light PAL helps in several cases. I will include some or all of your changes to the sprites in the hack :) Thanks

In general. there are also several other very impressing and cool additions to the hack now.
I hope to be able to post some news soon.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 06:07:55 am by Fire-WSP »

Goemon

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: January 27, 2022, 01:06:18 pm »
How is it going with this project?

Fire-WSP

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: January 27, 2022, 01:23:38 pm »
kalita-kan worked like a machine the last few weeks in order to make so many new things work in Wolfenstein 3D.
They said, Wolfenstein 3D for the SNES is one of the worst ports ever made... well not anymore!!!
I would even go as far and say it is now one of the best ports considering the weak hardware it works on and without any special chips like SFX or SA-1.
Forget what you know and enjoy Wolfenstein 3D on SNES as it was meant to be before Nintendo came around the corner with stupid censorship and guidelines.

What was done:
- Reworked and fully uncut Sprites
- HUD Faces have now about 50 new frames to show B.J.s status.
- Wall Textures have been optimized for low resolution and are fully uncut
- Wall Textures are no longer mirrored ingame
- Elevator Switch animation and Sound is back
- All Bosses have now their DOS Speech like "Guten Tag" or "Mutti"
- Pickup sound for BigGuns (DOS) implemented
- 3 modes of weapon changing available in options
- proper god mode
- Schabbs now turns you into a Mutant at kill like on DOS
- new Sound SFX has been added for SS Guards >> DOS "Schutzstaffel!" and "Spion" for Officers.
- the Dogs are reimplemented with sounds
- the SNES rats have been kept in the game as new enemy and will be used in Episode 3 and 4 (Schabbs, Übermutant)
- The Cross item is back but we also kept the Scepter and put it in some levels
- many bug fixes to the engine
- in order to implement all the new sounds the sound engine had to be rewritten
- Mission Briefings have been updated
- Title Screen, Wolfenstein Logo, Mission Briefing and Intermission screens have been cleaned up
- right now we are converting more music tracks from the DOS version to be included in the SNES version
- Game is now 24Mbits
- much more

The hack is still been working on but I want to leave a small teaser here for you.
Maybe you can spot the many changes already.
https://streamable.com/mzvqwd
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 02:36:04 pm by Fire-WSP »

BIGLOU07

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: January 27, 2022, 11:52:41 pm »
kalita-kan worked like a machine the last few weeks in order to make so many new things work in Wolfenstein 3D.
They said, Wolfenstein 3D for the SNES is one of the worst ports ever made... well not anymore!!!
I would even go as far and say it is now one of the best ports considering the weak hardware it works on and without any special chips like SFX or SA-1.
Forget what you know and enjoy Wolfenstein 3D on SNES as it was meant to be before Nintendo came around the corner with stupid censorship and guidelines.

What was done:
- proper god mode
- new Sound SFX has been added for SS Guards >> DOS "Schutzstaffel!" and "Spion" for Officers.
- the SNES rats have been kept in the game as new enemy and will be used in Episode 3 and 4 (Schabbs, Übermutant)
- Title Screen, Wolfenstein Logo, Mission Briefing and Intermission screens have been cleaned up
- right now we are converting more music tracks from the DOS version to be included in the SNES version
- Game is now 24Mbits
- much more

The hack is still been working on but I want to leave a small teaser here for you.

Fire I saw the stream. Game looks good! You guys are doing a phenomenal job! I’m patient. Take as much time as you need!

January 27, 2022, 11:54:23 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Sprites are compressed for run-time performance, by not processing invisible pixels. Some levels are terrible due to huge number of guards (5-6 / 5-B).

Using higher-res wall textures would incur similar type of penalty. Lag can be bad already at 32x32. We're lucky to hit constant stride of 15 fps, but large or odd-shaped rooms can tank it.

CD quality audio = sure. But I have to make everything work as well as possible without extra chip / hardware enhancements.

There's enough engine hacking (NDA) left to do. So project is going to take time.

Thank you for all that you do!

January 27, 2022, 11:57:16 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

What was done:
- proper god mode
- Game is now 24Mbits
- much more

Fire I saw the stream. Game looks good! You guys are doing a phenomenal job! I’m patient. Take as much time as you need!

SCD

• RHDN Supporter
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: January 28, 2022, 07:20:09 am »
Excellent job on all the additions you made so far, you're definitely making this port more like what it should've been in the first place.

That's a great idea on making the mutant rat a new enemy, if there's a way to give it its own stats, you should try and make it faster and more aggressive than the guard dog.

I also added purple blood to its death frames if you want to use them as well:

You should also try and give the Mutant, Ubermutant and Trans Grosse their correct DOS palettes as well, or make it into a optional patch.

Another neat idea for a optional patch is give BJ his DOS sprites for his head and the guns he's holding, someone did made DOS style sprites of the backpack, the flamethrower and the rocket launcher:
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 08:39:11 am by SCD »

Matheus123

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: January 28, 2022, 03:21:05 pm »
The idea of ​​purple blood on mutant mice is not a bad idea, but there are some beta sprites of mutant mice dying with blood, there are some differences but you can fix it...

Note:In your case, the base of the purple blood is from guard dogs, in my case the bloody mouse sprites are more faithful to the beta version, but just change the colors and there's no problem...

Fire-WSP

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: January 29, 2022, 04:12:39 pm »
I was toying around with the rsult screen a bit.
What  do you guys think?
It would be more close to the DOS and Jag version

SCD

• RHDN Supporter
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: January 29, 2022, 05:37:02 pm »
That looks pretty cool, you did a good job on it.

Fire-WSP

• View Profile
« Reply #294 on: January 30, 2022, 12:21:19 pm »
Do we have one person here with a SNES2DS/Everdrive for the Super Nintendo?
We would need some help with testing on real Hardware.

amaturehr

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: January 30, 2022, 05:45:58 pm »
I would LOVE to test this.  I have a SNES everdrive, and can patch and load roms no problem.  Please let me know if I can help.

SCD

• RHDN Supporter
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: January 30, 2022, 06:29:46 pm »
I have a SNES2DS, so I can help on testing this as well.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 02:08:38 am by SCD »

Fire-WSP

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: January 31, 2022, 07:24:00 am »
Here are screenshoots of the updated Mission Briefing screens.
Can somebody check if there are any spell errors in there? Thanks :)
Please disregard the errors on the background. Its still WIP

The new Result Screen in action

Random picture fighting Schabbs
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 07:35:48 am by Fire-WSP »

SCD

• RHDN Supporter
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: January 31, 2022, 08:47:01 am »
Everything looks fine, except for the Mission Six screen. When you look at the top of it, the words "Die, Fuhrer, Die!" are all over the place on the top of the screen.

amaturehr

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: January 31, 2022, 10:11:23 am »
The spelling all looks good.  I read it all over slowly, I didn't see any problems.