News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Wolfenstein3D - SNES Uncut hack  (Read 105417 times)

BIGLOU07

• View Profile
Re: Wolfenstein3D - SNES Uncut hack
« Reply #240 on: December 04, 2020, 05:28:43 pm »
Will do! I will take a look at the manual. English is my primary language so I have no problem looking this over. Also I wanted to point out there is a YouTube user who goes by the name CoTeCiOtm, he made a hack of the original beta for this game. The beta apparently already had the blood in it before it was removed so he used that a basis for his hack. In his hack he replaced the wall textures to the original textures but everything is still 32x32 so it still looks undetailed like the original. The censored text of the original game remains the same in his hack. It’s a decent attempt but it has its problems. I tried it in my SNES Classic and it does not work with Canoe and gave me a C8 error. I used SNES 9x 2010 and it works but the L and R buttons pause the game and you cannot strafe left or right. Overall it’s okay! The name of the video is Wolfenstein 3D Uncensored. I’m wondering if he should be including in this project. He may have some valuable input to contribute to the great work that you all have already done. I will see if I can message him and let him know about this project. Check his video out when you get a chance. He left the downloads for the beta and his hack in the description of his YouTube video.

Fire-WSP

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: December 10, 2020, 02:59:49 pm »
Guys what do you think about this modified Titlescreen for the uncut version?

That way it fits to the Box and Manual Art.
It is still WIP.

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 10, 2020, 03:58:18 pm »

It is still WIP.

looks good!

i just saw this thread; are you guys also working on performance of the game?
free sluffy

Fire-WSP

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 12, 2020, 11:09:31 pm »
After creating the new title screen, I used the SNESGRAB tool found in the NoahsArk3D Source.
This is the official tool which was used to convert GFX files for Wolfenstein3D on SNES.
The tool outputs a bin file and a palette files.
I was able to copy both into the rom with a hex editor.
It works to an extend but I get errors in the game.
There are not many options to choose from.
I tried two possible variations but either the allignment is wrong or the palette is screwed.
See the following pictures:

Source Image

In the Game/BSNES method 1

In the game/BSNES method 2

I have no idea what the problem is.
The same allignment problem occurs when I try to convert the Wall Textures.
I am a bit stuck here.
DarkSamus993 made his own tool to convert the GFX but I have no access to it.
Unfortunately he wasn't able to work on the project for quite some time.

The NoahsArk3D Source basically is the full Wolfenstein 3D SNES Source code including all tools.
There is even a fully working Level Editor. The guys who made that Noah3D game made some changes
on that Source but it is possible to revert all this back to Wolf3D.
I have already reverted the GFX stuff and the Level Editor back to Wolfenstein 3D but unfortunately I
am not able to do that for the code stuff.

-------
The problem has been solved.
The Offsets were not quite correct documented and that has lead to some errors.
The titlescreen is now working:
https://streamable.com/t1h4vc
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 09:11:41 pm by Fire-WSP »

N.Dpendent

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 13, 2020, 10:39:34 am »
Looks like the first tile needs to go one step left. Maybe try to use the first methode and start with the second tile? So the first row gets to the last one, then it should fit

Fire-WSP

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 14, 2020, 05:36:56 pm »
Okay guys! The title screen is now working properly.

You can try out the title screen with this patch:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hz2lg46vzeb8e22/W3DU0.1.ips?dl=0

This IPS patch works with the US version of the rom.
The wall textures have been updated also and now are final.

With the official tools found in the Noah3D source ( https://eludevisibility.org/2018/super-noahs-ark-3d-source-code ),
I am able to change most of the GFX in the game. This however is not true for the Sprites!
In this case the SPRGRAB tool seem to produces different files.
Not sure why this is the case, since everything else in this source is basically Wolfenstein 3D SNES.
The sizes of the binaries it produces are correct and by inspecting them in a hex editor they look partial
the same but there are several differences. I verified this by extracting the ammo clip GFX binary from the game.
I then produced a binary from the ammo clip GFX with the SPRGRAB tool and compared both bin files in the hex editor.
You can check the files here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v7lmov9gyx0zd31/SpriteAmmo.zip?dl=0
Only the lower part in both binaries are identical. The middel part looks similar but has quite some changes.
The first few lines are totaly different.
That shouldn't be the case since it is the same GFX.

When I copy the binary from the SPRGRAB Tool into the game, the game crashes as soon as the ammo clip appears on the screen.
This is a real roadblock here  >:(

The Sprites are all ready to get implemented and I hoped to be able to use the official
tool for this task since I have no access to the tool made by DarkSamus.
After two years of inactivity on the project and with a new Covid lockdown in a few days I really want to take the chance and continue and finalize the project.
Implementing the sprites just requires the right tool. Maybe I also made a mistake using the SPRGRAB tool.

A big help so far was this extractor tool:
https://github.com/adambiser/snes-wolf3d-extractor
I just wish it could be used to the other way around.

Are there any skilled people here who could help finalizing this?
With that Noah3D Source we have the full Wolfenstein 3D SNES Source. Most stuff in there is written in C.
This should help figuring out a few things like why some wall textures are getting mirrored.
There is really not that much left to do since I do not want to alter the SNES game too much.
Any help is appreciated.

BIGLOU07

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 16, 2020, 06:56:09 pm »
Unfortunately there was no progress on the hack itself so far but I finished the manual.
The game manual was also censored. I remade the whole thing from scratch based upon the real one.
I have improved and fixed some things and also added some stuff which was missing from the original.
You can download a review copy of the manual as PDF here:

W3DManReview.pdf

It would be cool if you guys, especially native english speaker, could check it for errors.

Thing I have added are:

Automap Screen and description
Flamethrower and Rocketlauncher text
Both should be checked and maybe the text can be improved.

I had to read and retype the text so there could be typos.
Also I think they missed some commas back then but I am no native english speaker.

This review copy is in low quality to keep the file size down.
The material I have is in 300 DPI print quality.

Have fun.

OK I took a look at the manual. Sorry I took so long. I am a college math professor and we have been trying to get final exams and grades done so it took awhile before I could look at it. The only thing is, that link you sent me to the manual had a trojan and malware in it. I have protection on my PC, but you guys need to be careful!! After I read through the manual I deleted it from my PC. Anyway I found the following grammatical errors.

Page 2
There is an error that Should read: YOU ALWAYS MANAGE TO GET THE JOB DONE AND GET OUT ALIVE.

Page 4
Under Skill: BEHAVIOUR should be BEHAVIOR

Page 7
Under Result Screen: You have 2 FROM's when there should only be 1.

Page 8
Under Mutant Rats: Use FOR instead of FOT

Page 9
There is an error that should read FEARED TOOLS

Page 10
GRAFT should be CRAFT

Page 14
Under FIRST AID KITS: the word LATEST should be used
Under AMMO PACKS: the word THESE should be used

Page 16
Under KEYS: AN IRON KEY

BIGLOU07

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 16, 2020, 07:07:33 pm »
Also I downloaded the patch and will be trying it out soon! I also messaged the famous KMFDManic. He usually responds when I ask different questions about the Mini consoles. The man is responsible for a lot of the implementation of the hakchi software that goes into modding the NES, SNES, Genesis, and Playstation Mini consoles. He usually replies back to me or anyone who has a question about these consoles. I let him know about the project you guys have going on here and that if he could help. I also asked him that if he was unable to contribute that if he knew someone in his network of people that could help to reach out to them and let them know about this project. Hopefully help will come soon! 

GyaragaX

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 17, 2020, 02:19:13 am »

It is still WIP.

I guess my issue is what I mentioned when I posted the box art I submitted. The image of BJ with the chaingun being used in the PAL box art, manual, and this new screen is not the original art. It is, in my opinion, a poor copy of the original painting made by a lesser artist taken from the March 1994 issue of Nintendo Power. It's like they took a screenshot of the title, where the original art was rendered at the SNES internal resolution of 8:7, then stretched to 4:3, and somebody with less skill traced over it.

niuus

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 18, 2020, 12:07:38 am »
Okay guys! The title screen is now working properly.

You can try out the title screen with this patch:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hz2lg46vzeb8e22/W3DU0.1.ips?dl=0

This IPS patch works with the US version of the rom.
The wall textures have been updated also and now are final.

With the official tools found in the Noah3D source ( https://eludevisibility.org/2018/super-noahs-ark-3d-source-code ),
I am able to change most of the GFX in the game. This however is not true for the Sprites!
In this case the SPRGRAB tool seem to produces different files.
Not sure why this is the case, since everything else in this source is basically Wolfenstein 3D SNES.
The sizes of the binaries it produces are correct and by inspecting them in a hex editor they look partial
the same but there are several differences. I verified this by extracting the ammo clip GFX binary from the game.
I then produced a binary from the ammo clip GFX with the SPRGRAB tool and compared both bin files in the hex editor.
You can check the files here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v7lmov9gyx0zd31/SpriteAmmo.zip?dl=0
Only the lower part in both binaries are identical. The middel part looks similar but has quite some changes.
The first few lines are totaly different.
That shouldn't be the case since it is the same GFX.

When I copy the binary from the SPRGRAB Tool into the game, the game crashes as soon as the ammo clip appears on the screen.
This is a real roadblock here  >:(

The Sprites are all ready to get implemented and I hoped to be able to use the official
tool for this task since I have no access to the tool made by DarkSamus.
After two years of inactivity on the project and with a new Covid lockdown in a few days I really want to take the chance and continue and finalize the project.
Implementing the sprites just requires the right tool. Maybe I also made a mistake using the SPRGRAB tool.

A big help so far was this extractor tool:
https://github.com/adambiser/snes-wolf3d-extractor
I just wish it could be used to the other way around.

Are there any skilled people here who could help finalizing this?
With that Noah3D Source we have the full Wolfenstein 3D SNES Source. Most stuff in there is written in C.
This should help figuring out a few things like why some wall textures are getting mirrored.
There is really not that much left to do since I do not want to alter the SNES game too much.
Any help is appreciated.
Looking great, man! So, basically, all that's left to implement is the blood and some sprites when the proper tool happens?

Fire-WSP

• View Profile
« Reply #250 on: December 18, 2020, 05:55:06 pm »
Okay, here is a new version to test:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s5st2j8o5l9i6e3/W3DuncutV0.2.ips?dl=0

This time I have made and added a new Mission Briefing screen.
The one in the SNES version uses so much dither it is not nice.
I used the Mission Briefing screen from the Jaguar version but added a new background and changed a few things.
Now there is no more dithering. I think it looks much better now.

I also remade all the gfx for the Auto Map. The tiles are now uncut and hand optimzed.
The original ones were just scaled to 8x8.

Umlauts and the special character "ß" have been added to the fonts so that the names
Hans and Trans Grosse are now spelled correctly "Größe" and Ubermutant is now "Übermutant"
That can be observed in the mission briefing and Cast list.

The status bar has gotten a few fixes and improvements.
The face uses updated pictures.

@BIGLOU07
thank you for checking the manual.
I have fixed all the problems except one:
Page 10
GRAFT should be CRAFT

When I did the manual I was already checking this word because it was looking strange to me.
I had checked it with google translate and a few other sites and it is indeed a valid word.
It means "transplant". Maybe it is british english, no idea. Since it was this way in the original
manual, I will keep it this way.

Also thank you for notify me about that maleware thing. I just used the site for a quick upload. That should not happen.
I have removed the link form the previous post.

@GyaragaX
The artwork from the Nintendo Power is not as good as the original one but the original one is not really good in general.
It does not even resmbles B.J. Blazkowicz in any way. The face is totaly different. The Nintendo Power grt goes much more in the direction of B.J. That is one reason why I am using it.

@niuus
The blood is included in the sprites, that is why I can't touch it myself without a proper tool.
There are a few more things I like to add and change.
The intermission picture needs a little uncut. I cant do that because the picture just uses 16 colors and they are all used.
I have no red for blood. I hope the palette for this can be extended by code.
The face animations in the status bar are just for the last 20% of health. We have face GFX staring at 80&
DarkSamus was already on that. I hope this can be finished.
The dog should be added.
One bug remains on the status bar with the Highscore numbers. The numbers need to be shiftet 2 or 3 pixel to the right.
That needs to be done in the code.
Now that we have the original tools also for the music, I hope we can implement proper title music because the one we have now is level music.
I hope we can add/restore a few more sounds and voices.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #251 on: December 18, 2020, 06:02:41 pm »
Oh wow this is looking great!
So you are basically redoing all of Wolfenstein 3D on SNES with the source code of Super Noah's 3D Ark?

Would this be closer to the DOS or the SNES version in terms of levels/content?
I am also curious if the OST can be modified to sound more accurate to that of the DOS version.

Fire-WSP

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: December 18, 2020, 06:39:19 pm »
I am no coder and can not use the source. I got told that everything in there can be reverted back to Wolfenstein 3D SNES.
All I am doing is using the original tools to change the gfx. The tools will spit out bin files. I can use this files and inject them with a hex editor into rom. This works for everything except for the sprites. For some reasons the sprite binaries are slightly different than the one in the rom. If I inject the ones made with the tool, the game is crashing. And I was sooo close with that :(

While there is the full level editor present, I can not edit the level files because they are already converted and compressed.
Also I do not plan to change the levels. The SNES version is its own version and I want to keep it this way.
All this hack is supposed to be doing is to uncensor stuff and improve some things.

At this point I can not do much more on my own because everything else on the list needs hacking the code.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 06:59:11 pm by Fire-WSP »

niuus

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: December 19, 2020, 06:14:07 pm »
This time I have made and added a new Mission Briefing screen.
The one in the SNES version uses so much dither it is not nice.
I used the Mission Briefing screen from the Jaguar version but added a new background and changed a few things.
Now there is no more dithering. I think it looks much better now.

I also remade all the gfx for the Auto Map. The tiles are now uncut and hand optimzed.
The original ones were just scaled to 8x8.

Umlauts and the special character "ß" have been added to the fonts so that the names
Hans and Trans Grosse are now spelled correctly "Größe" and Ubermutant is now "Übermutant"
That can be observed in the mission briefing and Cast list.

The status bar has gotten a few fixes and improvements.
The face uses updated pictures.
Awesome changes, btw. Specially the Briefing Screen!

@niuus
The blood is included in the sprites, that is why I can't touch it myself without a proper tool.
Interesting. I understand your predicament now.

Okay, here is a new version to test:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s5st2j8o5l9i6e3/W3DuncutV0.2.ips?dl=0
Gonna test this!

Fire-WSP

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: December 19, 2020, 08:20:01 pm »
A new version is ready.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a3jgr75qwnjd30a/W3DuncutV0.3.ips?dl=0
Today I have done the intermission pictures.
He has now his Chaingun in its hands. Unfortunately there was not enough palette space for the bullet chain.
Well, he is just out of Ammo after killing Adolf :D
Because if this I made a mix of two pictures. Now there is also blood in those pictures like in the Jaguar version.
For this I had to alter the palette and redraw parts of the pictures. It is much cleaner now.

There is not much left I can do now without help on the code side.

@niuus
I have all the sprites ready with blood, I just can not reimplement them at this point.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 08:26:05 pm by Fire-WSP »

Goemon

• View Profile
« Reply #255 on: December 25, 2020, 10:50:20 am »
Wow! Very nice progress here. Can't wait for more.

N.Dpendent

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: December 31, 2020, 03:44:57 pm »
Did a little edit to show whats uncut...
I wish everyone a happy new year!

« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 11:11:55 pm by N.Dpendent »

BIGLOU07

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 01, 2021, 03:29:08 am »
A new version is ready.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a3jgr75qwnjd30a/W3DuncutV0.3.ips?dl=0
Today I have done the intermission pictures.
He has now his Chaingun in its hands. Unfortunately there was not enough palette space for the bullet chain.
Well, he is just out of Ammo after killing Adolf :D
Because if this I made a mix of two pictures. Now there is also blood in those pictures like in the Jaguar version.
For this I had to alter the palette and redraw parts of the pictures. It is much cleaner now.

There is not much left I can do now without help on the code side.

@niuus
I have all the sprites ready with blood, I just can not reimplement them at this point.

Have you posted anything about this project in the Help Wanted Ads section of this site?

Fire-WSP

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 01, 2021, 10:19:30 am »
Happy new year everybody!
Here is a new version for you.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/alf79mg2e4kytuh/w3duV0.4.ips?dl=0

New is:
- All the mission briefing text is uncut now and uses the umlauts.
The mission briefing texts are not the ones from the Jag version.
I just made the SNES text uncut. I was able to avoid touching any pointers.
Maybe somebody can check the text for errors just to be sure.
- The startup ball GFX got some changes and optimazions
- Titlescreen now uses the proper ID Software Logo of that time.
- the chain gun in the Overall screen is looking better now.

Thats it for this patch but I have some more news.
Thanks to the official tools found in the Noah3D source a friend and
I were able to convert the whole PC Wolfenstein3D Soundtrack to proper SNM format used by the SNES version.
In order to do this we had to convert the WLF sound files from the PC Version to Midi first and from there we used the Noah3D tools to convert to the SNM format. That was not easy because of different instrument lists.
With the converted Soundtrack we can now expand the Soundtrack of the SNES version.
That means more different music for levels and a proper Titletrack.
In order to implement the new music, some hacking is needed. That is something I can not do on my own.
That brings me to @BIGLOU07s question. I haven't asked on the Help Wanted section but I spoke to DarkSamus a
few days before Xmas and there is a good chance that he is returning to the project soon. Fingers crossed :)

« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 03:35:50 pm by Fire-WSP »

niuus

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 04, 2021, 06:38:40 pm »
Happy new year everybody!
Here is a new version for you.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/alf79mg2e4kytuh/w3duV0.4.ips?dl=0

New is:
- All the mission briefing text is uncut now and uses the umlauts.
The mission briefing texts are not the ones from the Jag version.
I just made the SNES text uncut. I was able to avoid touching any pointers.
Maybe somebody can check the text for errors just to be sure.
- The startup ball GFX got some changes and optimazions
- Titlescreen now uses the proper ID Software Logo of that time.
- the chain gun in the Overall screen is looking better now.

Thats it for this patch but I have some more news.
Thanks to the official tools found in the Noah3D source a friend and
I were able to convert the whole PC Wolfenstein3D Soundtrack to proper SNM format used by the SNES version.
In order to do this we had to convert the WLF sound files from the PC Version to Midi first and from there we used the Noah3D tools to convert to the SNM format. That was not easy because of different instrument lists.
With the converted Soundtrack we can now expand the Soundtrack of the SNES version.
That means more different music for levels and a proper Titletrack.
In order to implement the new music, some hacking is needed. That is something I can not do on my own.
That brings me to @BIGLOU07s question. I haven't asked on the Help Wanted section but I spoke to DarkSamus a
few days before Xmas and there is a good chance that he is returning to the project soon. Fingers crossed :)
Thanks for the new version! Great work!