News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

Wolfenstein3D - SNES Uncut hack

Started by Fire-WSP, March 19, 2018, 10:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

w1ck3d

MusicallyInspired just for laughs, do you think you could replace the trumpets in "18 - The Ultimate Challenge" to farting trumpets? Listing to it, I couldn't help but think of Resident Evil's botched director's cut soundtrack and chuckle.  :laugh:

MusicallyInspired

Quote from: Fire-WSP on April 05, 2022, 10:02:05 AM
can you please check the Lurking track too? at about 30 seconds in, there is a very annoying high tone.
I think that needs a different instrument or so.

That's just the background trumpet notes. That's intended. It's not out of tune/key or anything and I wouldn't feel comfortable changing it.

Quote from: w1ck3d on April 05, 2022, 05:48:53 PM
MusicallyInspired just for laughs, do you think you could replace the trumpets in "18 - The Ultimate Challenge" to farting trumpets? Listing to it, I couldn't help but think of Resident Evil's botched director's cut soundtrack and chuckle.  :laugh:

Lol. By "farting trumpet" do you mean muted trumpets? Not sure what exact sound you're referring to.  :laugh:

w1ck3d

For the Director's Cut rerelease of Resident Evil Capcom commissioned a deaf composer (who nearly 2 decades later was outed for being a fraud) to design a new soundtrack for the game. And one particular track is particularly infamous. Of which I was reminded of, after hearing the ultimate challenge track. Anyway, I'm not really sure how you'd describe the sound, but it's been compared to farting trumpets for years now.  :laugh:

OG RE1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sITJuWV3HXg
RE1 DC https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXbSbCpxHe8
little backstory https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-En6wZOsm4k

Fire-WSP

@MusicallyInspired is doing some cools stuff or us. When this is done and implemented, it is time for some extensive testing.
All game modes are done now.
There is a Boss Rush Mode now and needs testing and balancing.
Are there any hardcore wolfenstein player here?
We need to update the PAR times for each level in each mode.

Matheus123

I've played Wolfenstein 3D a lot, I've finished it about 3 times I think, but I don't consider myself a Hardcore Player but i would love to test the beta rom

Cris1997XX

I've been playing a lot of Wolfenstein 3D on Steam during the last few years, and I'd gladly test the beta ROM too

me_wolf

By PAR times, do you mean fastest possible like Romero doing Doom speedruns? XD

MusicallyInspired

I'm pretty good on PC. Consistently get 100% and usually under par time on every map on Death Incarnate. Not sure how I'd fare on the SNES port but I'd give it a shot.

me_wolf

SNES = largely easy. Bosses are slow dumb bricks. Enemies more take time to hitscan. You can shoot sloppy and still hit. Longer pain times. Mutants pause on damage. Incarnate increases player damage and how far enemies shoot but nothing seriously challenging.

Jaguar = harder than SNES. Everyone thinks faster and thinner hitboxes. Rapid pistol fire can tame enemies on SNES but doesn't always work on Jag. Maybe id increased chance of player shoot missing with auto-fire guns, or maybe while firing + moving. More enemy sprite frames are cut than SNES.

Mac = somewhere between SNES and Jaguar.

PC = boatload more enemies on Incarnate, which nowhere near Second Encounter ports (SNES, Jaguar, Mac, PC98, Amiga). Need more shooting accuracy than SNES.

PC Mods + Incarnate = more harder than Spear Incarnate. Totenkopf family, Discipline, End of Spear. There's lots of challenge out there. And forgotten Mac map packs are being ported to Macenwolf every week.

Quote from: MusicallyInspired
Consistently get 100% and usually under par time on every map on Death Incarnate. Not sure how I'd fare on the SNES port but I'd give it a shot.

You're a master player. If you often get 100% + under par, then you're an Uber runner. Either way, you'll slay SNES times after knowing the map layouts.

Take an average of others:

"I say you should make the "par" at least double the best time, and add extra (maybe 1/3 time) for each "alternate paths"."

"Do what John Romero did in Doom, he ran through the levels as fast as he could, rounded off the result and added 30 seconds for padding."

PAR times do add bonus points. Important for score competitions. Although you could do score farming on maps with hidden 1-ups = score + get 1-up + die + repeat loop.

MusicallyInspired

Sometimes it's impossible to get 100% under the par time...at least in my experience. Most times you can, but if you want that par score all the time you gotta abandon a few secrets.

Also, I'm just talking vanilla Wolf3D, not SoD. Haven't attempted that one on 100% yet.

Matheus123

These last few days, I've been recreating all the walls that were missing from the SNES version of Wolfenstein 3D, I'd resize the wall sprites from 64 by 64 to 32 by 32, and then I'd redraw it over the top to make it look nice, this was the result .

Note:
if the images do not appear

https://ibb.co/rQ9Ny98

SCD

I found these DOS style Mutant Rat sprites from the WolfenDoom mod:

These might be good for this project, because this will make it look completely different than the guard dog.

Matheus123

Hmm.... I'll see if I can do it Snes style

ToHell

Great job! You can clearly see that your heart is in the matter.

radimerry

Nice work so far! Looks like this port finally is getting a "Director's Cut" type fan treatment.

Fire-WSP

Happy 30th Wolfenstein 3D Anniversary!
To celebrate this occasion we are releasing the beta version of our
SNES Wolfenstein 3D Uncut/Redux Hack today. This is one of the most extensive SNES Rom hacks
ever made and we are proud to share it with you now.
Please note that this is still a WIP beta!
Some things are not final yet and will be updated as soon as possible.
Also if you encounter any bugs please let us know here.
We won't take feature request or changes at this time.
We will take care about game bugs and game balancing (Redux/BossRush) only.

Now it is time for the patch:
https://we.tl/t-IqJUutCqmS
Unpack  the IPS file. Use LIPS and apply the patch to the US NTSC version of Wolfenstein3D.
Use the ROM from the latest No-Intro rom set. Do not ask for the ROM here!
You need to find it on you own!

The full MSU-1 Pack can be found here:
https://we.tl/t-XiiC5t6V5Y
To use MSU-1, place the ROM inside the MSU Pack folder and launch it.

Have fun!

me_wolf

A bug that all Second Encounter ports have. Guards don't use a default front-standing position. They're all frozen in a walking frame until they wake up.

It's very good work though!

ShadowOne333

Quote from: me_wolf on May 05, 2022, 11:17:06 AM
A bug that all Second Encounter ports have. Guards don't use a default front-standing position. They're all frozen in a walking frame until they wake up.

It's very good work though!

I gave the hack a quick try today.
Seems really good so far!
One thing I did notice, is that I was fighting Hans Grosse in like the 3rd level, is that normal?
Also, another thing that threw me off a bit, was that Level 1 right after starting plays "Funk You" instead of "Get Them Before They Get You". Is that normal too?
I was under the impression that the hack (or one of the two options) was gonna restore the level layouts and music played as in the original DOS version, or did I get it wrong? :P