News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Wolfenstein3D - SNES Uncut hack  (Read 152142 times)

Fire-WSP

• View Profile
Re: Wolfenstein3D - SNES Uncut hack
« Reply #320 on: February 25, 2022, 07:57:45 am »
oh! Very cool :)

SCD

• RHDN Supporter
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: February 25, 2022, 08:58:27 pm »
He didn't get his verification email yet, so he wanted me to pass this message:

Hi, guys. Wolfenstein 3D is on my list of soundtracks to record for my SC-55 Music Packs website. But one special caveat to note is that the DOS version actually does not support the SC-55 as a music device. Or any MIDI device, actually. It's an Adlib-only soundtrack which means the music files are in id Software's proprietary IMF format and not MIDI at all. However, I was working with the developer who re-released Super 3D Noah's Ark on modern systems a few years back and its engine was reworked to support MIDI files for its original DOS version (as distinct from Wolf3D which lacks this capability). He asked me to record the MIDIs for that official rerelease and you can find my recordings in the official releases now. So recording S3DNA was easy.
Luckily, Wolf3D on the SNES was actually reworked to utilize MIDI files instead of IMF because of the differences in the SNES's music system (a SNES can't produce Adlib sound obviously so IMF files would be pointless). He sent me all the MIDI files available in the SNES version of Wolf3D from the SNES and from Doom II (which has some Wolf3D MIDI files as well for secret levels) to help when I finally get to Wolf3D. However, the SNES version of Wolf3D is missing some of the tracks from the DOS version of the game. I've been holding off on recording Wolf3D because I'd have to convert those missing tracks from the DOS version in IMF format to MIDI (which is possible), but this would require a little more work to properly produce to sound proper on the SC-55. I can do it, it's just more work. But for the SNES version of the game this is a nonissue because we're just dealing with the shorter list of music tracks present in the SNES version only.
So, in short, The Wolf3D SNES soundtrack can be recorded but it was never made for the SC-55 so it wouldn't be an "authentic" sound in the way that the music for Duke3D or Doom would be (which actually WERE written for the SC-55). It'd sound good of course, but it was never supported by the original game.

kalita-kan

• View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 25, 2022, 10:19:30 pm »
I think I brought up (just some) of those points with Fire-WSP. You might want to contact WSP in PM when you get the chance; there's .. uhm .. more possibly planned than anyone may think. Even I don't have the complete design but I'm always trudging through the asm and trying to survive. That's enough of an angry chore.

I know R. Prince released several official MIDIs for Wolf, which a few make use of TR-808 and other GS-exclusive programs. D2 I honestly never knew about. The rest (I listened to) were cobbled from Jaguar or dro2midi (?). I know Jaguar MIDIs are still different from the official ones, and the Mac MIDIs sound similar but I guess were creative interpretations of the original source. The 3DO ones I never listened to but are reportedly different from Mac.

WSP wants something more-more-heavy faithful to DOS, and knowing the intricate differences between all of them is definitely out of my league. I don't know exactly what will be satisfaction-level. I've listened to one DOS / Spear compilation (brainstewx) but it has some copyrighted MIDIs by Prince so I think can't post link directly here.

Very neat to know you worked on the re-release of S3DNA though!

Q:
The SNES Wolf MIDIs you have are the "stripped down" versions? Like a few programs (Oboe, Organ, Pan Flute, Trombone, Slap Bass, Bass Drum, High Hat, Snare Drum)? Because I remember seeing in the ROM that the MIDIs are converted on-the-fly but a few similar percussion are squashed together into one voice sample)

Code: [Select]
case 128+35: // Bass drum
case 128+36:

case 128+38: // Snare drum
case 128+40:

case 128+42: // High hat
case 128+44:
case 128+46:

https://pjb.com.au/muscript/gm.html

What I never checked is if the SNES MIDIs (Wolf / S3DNA) have those extra #s intact, just lost when played through the SPC.

Thanks for trying to communicate! Fire-WSP will have the whole story that I omitted.

Fire-WSP

• View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 26, 2022, 02:57:16 am »
yeah, I am aware that the DOS version is ADLIB. When I did research for this project I had to spend some time on that topic because the SNES music conversation works only with midi not with any adlib stuff.
In any case, while looking for information I came across a midi pack in one of the Wolfenstein Forums.
This Pack contains all Wolfenstein Tracks carefully converted to midi. According to the creator, it is note by note 1:1 and this midis are supposed to work best with the Roland SC-55. The pack is here: https://we.tl/t-9yxJylc0Jy
Maybe we can have a spin with this first?

me_wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #324 on: February 26, 2022, 03:00:16 pm »
SC-55 Evil Incarnate intro sounds terrible! A delightful, cheery X-Mas jingle. :laugh:

BIGLOU07

• View Profile
« Reply #325 on: February 28, 2022, 11:43:31 pm »
Has anyone contacted anyone over at Zeldix about the soundtrack.  Zeldix houses almost all of the MSU-1 soundtracks for all SNES games that have MSU-1 support. When I looked up Wolfenstein 3D on the website it has three soundtracks already recorded for Wolfenstein 3D that have been converted to PCM format for MSU-1 support. They also have the patches for the roms up there you need for MSU-1 support so you can add these soundtracks to the game. One of the soundtracks uses a lot of heavy metal and sounds really badass. There is an SC-55 set up there by GyaragaX that doesn’t sound exactly like the DOS version but sounds really good. The people over there may be of some help on this project on the soundtrack side of things. Conn and Relikk are two of the main people handling the business on that site and getting things done over there.

March 01, 2022, 12:03:39 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
On another note. What gun sprites will be used for the final product. What I mean is when you are playing the game the way the gun looks when you are in first person mode. The DOS/PC version gun sprites are cool and the SNES gun sprites are unique but I think the Jaguar has the best gun sprites. Also what gun sound effects will you be using. What I mean by that is when you are shooting the gun what sound effects will you be using. I think the DOS version has the best gun sound effects. If it is possible to incorporate the Jaguar gun sprites with the DOS gun sound effects that would be the ultimate combination! I know it’s probably asking a lot but that would set this game on fire! One can only dream!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 12:03:39 am by BIGLOU07 »

kalita-kan

• View Profile
« Reply #326 on: March 01, 2022, 10:02:37 am »
SPC700 has such a tiny brain, it made me cry all over trying to fit the sfx we could into the "final" product - only have ~300 bytes left. You're still missing out on enough, especially anything higher quality; I had to use the SNES gun shot.

Zeldix SC-55 pack is using Prince's original + Jaguar MIDI + Reconstructed DOS MIDI so it's a grabbag, but soundfont is weak. This one has more missing instruments and fullness
https://github.com/trevor0402/SC55Soundfont

I suppose people can mod the game later to use sprites they want, within limits. So if you want wider / larger gun sprites, people will have to figure out how to modify the sprite engine, which I guess could be done with some coding creativity.

Game has a dynamic sound loading feature but it incurs a lot of unavoidable pause lag. SNES Noah3D has it bad all over; relied on it too much.

Fire-WSP

• View Profile
« Reply #327 on: March 05, 2022, 04:51:46 pm »
@SCD, any news from the music/Midi guy?

SCD

• RHDN Supporter
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: March 06, 2022, 01:41:18 am »
Nope, I haven't heard a word from him for awhile.

Matheus123

• View Profile
« Reply #329 on: March 07, 2022, 08:05:51 pm »
a long time ago, they made a Mutant rats sprites dying with purple blood, but the blood base used was from the sprites of the dying dogs, so I used the beta sprites of the Mutant rats dying with purple blood, the first version came out of this Sheet as bonus The second is from this image that I made being more faithful to those sprites that SCD made

1.0 version

2.0 version

NOTE:
if the images do not load

https://ibb.co/dmqdtXv

https://ibb.co/YDyYNMR

me_wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #330 on: March 16, 2022, 11:40:41 am »
May 5 30th anniversary approaching. Will we see a release or have to play DOS mods on that day?

kalita-kan

• View Profile
« Reply #331 on: March 17, 2022, 12:05:47 am »
An odd twist for me but the Mac Source Code is open-source
https://github.com/Blzut3/Wolf3D-Mac

Looks very similar to SNES one from Noah's Ark, with some bug fixes which we already added ourselves.

Fire-WSP

• View Profile
« Reply #332 on: March 17, 2022, 05:43:02 am »
May 5 30th anniversary approaching. <<< Hehe I wasn't aware of this.
But I think this sounds like a good day to do a release.
Thanks to kalita-kan, we have reached a point where we can enter a intensive testing phase soon.
The game was changed from the ground up so careful testing is required on Emulator and also real Hardware.
I will do testing on real Hardware with my original SNES Nintendo Eprom Testing Board.

The first test version will be handed out in a closed testing session.
For this first testing session I like to have 4 people.
Any volunteers? If you like to join:
- It would be good if you have some general Wolfenstein3D knowledge (SNES, MAC, DOS).
- You need to be able to test on BSNES/Higan. The accurate version needs quite some performance.
If your computer is the cause for slowdowns during testing, it could produce false results.
- people with a Everdrive, SD2SNES or SuperNt are welcome

If you like to join or have questions, post below.

N.Dpendent

• View Profile
« Reply #333 on: March 17, 2022, 08:43:58 am »
I would love to try. There was a bug in the beta, when you pushed L and R at the same time, the game crashed. Could try it with Snes-mini too

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #334 on: March 17, 2022, 10:00:04 am »
An odd twist for me but the Mac Source Code is open-source
https://github.com/Blzut3/Wolf3D-Mac

Looks very similar to SNES one from Noah's Ark, with some bug fixes which we already added ourselves.

Is it me, or does that source code also contain compilable code for the SNES version?
I do see a "SnesMain.c" file there, but I'm unsure if the whole source code even compiles to an extend for SNES or not.

kalita-kan

• View Profile
« Reply #335 on: March 17, 2022, 03:13:25 pm »
No way to compile from Mac to SNES - base internals too different to work.

Noah's Ark has its own funky problem which I couldn't get it working (source build). It would help as Wolf3D is compiled with optimizations off, but Noah appears to have them enabled. For me though, it made hacking a lot more tolerable.

J^P

• View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 18, 2022, 04:59:21 pm »
May 5 30th anniversary approaching. <<< Hehe I wasn't aware of this.
But I think this sounds like a good day to do a release.
Thanks to kalita-kan, we have reached a point where we can enter a intensive testing phase soon.
The game was changed from the ground up so careful testing is required on Emulator and also real Hardware.
I will do testing on real Hardware with my original SNES Nintendo Eprom Testing Board.

The first test version will be handed out in a closed testing session.
For this first testing session I like to have 4 people.
Any volunteers? If you like to join:
- It would be good if you have some general Wolfenstein3D knowledge (SNES, MAC, DOS).
- You need to be able to test on BSNES/Higan. The accurate version needs quite some performance.
If your computer is the cause for slowdowns during testing, it could produce false results.
- people with a Everdrive, SD2SNES or SuperNt are welcome

If you like to join or have questions, post below.

I can test, I have snes with FXPAK PRO to test it with, and I've played the original DOS release many many times, and the snes version too once.

BIGLOU07

• View Profile
« Reply #337 on: March 18, 2022, 07:23:14 pm »
Shouldn’t SNES9x work? I can test it on the Mini.  The last patch ran pretty well on the SNES mini. I got it to run on Canoe and Retroarch!

kalita-kan

• View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 18, 2022, 07:36:27 pm »
I used Snes9x 1.51 / 1.60 for debugging and development. Lots of stuff that didn't happen to me randomly glitched the other team members. And the other way around too!

A hardware test showed BSNES/Higan was correct. Really confusing months, so I went for the safe average.

me_wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 18, 2022, 09:38:06 pm »
Quote from: Fire-WSP

EPROMs have limited lifespan? 25 years or so? It still creates working ROMs?

Then you are ex-SNES developer for big company? (Sunsoft? Virgin? Konami? Acclaim? Interplay?) I thought those boards are rare. What was the original game burned on it?

Anyone else on the team is pro-level?