News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Poll

What should the new name for the "Spell" spell be?

Reveal
5 (21.7%)
Unveil
4 (17.4%)
Enigma
9 (39.1%)
Expose
5 (21.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Zelda II Redux  (Read 166570 times)

TheSkipper1995

• View Profile
Re: Zelda II Redux
« Reply #800 on: December 08, 2019, 02:02:45 am »
Hello! I just recently stumbled upon this project and I must say it's pretty fantastic. I'm loving the changes implemented thus far and am looking forward to your plans for future updates.

One suggestion I would have is in regards to EXP— Would it be possible to have it so that, instead of losing all of your EXP upon game over, you lose a fraction of it? Perhaps half? It would still be a punishment the player would want to avoid, just not quite as brutal as losing all of their EXP progress.

EthansDreamLand

• View Profile
« Reply #801 on: December 09, 2019, 10:28:41 pm »
The "Keep Exp At GameOver" optional patch causes the game to freeze whenever you try to save your game. Can you please fix this?

SkyBlueFox

• View Profile
« Reply #802 on: December 12, 2019, 04:07:30 am »
I'm sure I'm not the only one who's done this, but I think it speaks volumes that I made an account just to gush about this patch in here.

Anyway, over the past couple evenings I did a run of Redux to take my mind off of studying for my finals this semester, and... it was fantastic. I love Zelda 2 to bits as is (it's arguably in my top 3 Zeldas), but the little graphical touches, magic tweaks  and QoL updates really feel like the 'extra couple months of dev polish' the original game never got. That... might not be a fair comparison to make, granted, but it summarizes how I feel. I can't imagine playing Zelda 2 again any other way - legit, mere hours before a friend told me about it, I was just thinking to myself "I wish I could take the QoL that Z2 Randomizer makes and put them into vanilla". You can imagine how delighted I was to read through the list of Redux's updates. :U

The only critique I think I have is that, while I know you were sticking to the original as close as possible, I wish you'd gone a little further with the graphics. I appreciate the usage of the Zelda 2 Rev Link sprite, but I've got a bit of a soft spot for how that hack tweaked the translation and items to fit more with Zelda 1. Bombs instead of the hammer, the Power Bracelet for the handy glove, etc.

All that said, if I might be so bold... how difficult do you think it would be to get a no-music optional patch? Much as I love the soundtrack, until the day comes when someone finally manages to hack these albums into Z1/2, having the option to disable music would be nice. There were a couple times where I just disabled the emulator sound and played the song, but without the sound effects, it's not really the same, you know? :p

Trax

• View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
« Reply #803 on: December 21, 2019, 08:57:37 pm »
I wish no-music was a trivial task, but it happens to be harder than I thought. Some sound effects are "music-like" and use the Music Code RAM address $EB. Some examples of sounds that you may want to keep, but are treated as music by the game: sounds in the Selection Screens (letter entered, letter cursor moving, fairy cursor, game erased), item found/level up, spell learned. It's an interesting challenge.

SkyBlueFox

• View Profile
« Reply #804 on: December 22, 2019, 02:44:03 am »
I guess I'm not surprised. I've always heard that messing with music in NES games can be a pain in the neck, so removing it entirely while preserving SFX sounds even more confusing.

...though now I have to wonder whether the Zelda 2 Randomizer's "no music" option actually disables music or if it just removes all sound entirely. In hindsight, I probably should have double-checked that before i even asked. ¦v

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #805 on: December 22, 2019, 05:06:32 pm »
Wouldn't it just be a matter of setting it to specifically not initiate the BGM in each area?
I can't imagine they programmed the game without making a BGM table.
So either track down the code that plays the BGM in each area and NOP it out, or find the data table that defines which song plays where and change all the entries to play nothing.
The fact that some sound effects are treated as music should have no bearing on this.
That is unless the game was very poorly coded.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #806 on: January 06, 2020, 03:08:25 pm »
Sorry for the long delay.
I'm back now :P

The "Keep Exp At GameOver" optional patch causes the game to freeze whenever you try to save your game. Can you please fix this?

Can anyone else replicate the issue with the "Keep Exp At Gameover" patch?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's done this, but I think it speaks volumes that I made an account just to gush about this patch in here.

Anyway, over the past couple evenings I did a run of Redux to take my mind off of studying for my finals this semester, and... it was fantastic. I love Zelda 2 to bits as is (it's arguably in my top 3 Zeldas), but the little graphical touches, magic tweaks  and QoL updates really feel like the 'extra couple months of dev polish' the original game never got. That... might not be a fair comparison to make, granted, but it summarizes how I feel. I can't imagine playing Zelda 2 again any other way - legit, mere hours before a friend told me about it, I was just thinking to myself "I wish I could take the QoL that Z2 Randomizer makes and put them into vanilla". You can imagine how delighted I was to read through the list of Redux's updates. :U

The only critique I think I have is that, while I know you were sticking to the original as close as possible, I wish you'd gone a little further with the graphics. I appreciate the usage of the Zelda 2 Rev Link sprite, but I've got a bit of a soft spot for how that hack tweaked the translation and items to fit more with Zelda 1. Bombs instead of the hammer, the Power Bracelet for the handy glove, etc.

All that said, if I might be so bold... how difficult do you think it would be to get a no-music optional patch? Much as I love the soundtrack, until the day comes when someone finally manages to hack these albums into Z1/2, having the option to disable music would be nice. There were a couple times where I just disabled the emulator sound and played the song, but without the sound effects, it's not really the same, you know? :p
Thanks for the feedback!
I might see later on about possibly adding an optional patch for other graphics.
I wanted to maintain the main feel of the overall graphics, only adding slight touches to make the sprites more like their official art.

As for the music question, sadly that's not planned.

Although, I think Mesen (The HD NES emulator) can help you there.
If I recall correctly, that emulator allows you to replace music with whatever from your own library, similar to MSU-1 on SNES, but as to how that is achieved or how to make it work with Zelda 2, I am not sure to be honest.

Razieldemon

• View Profile
« Reply #807 on: January 08, 2020, 01:22:53 pm »
Im always amazed at the work put into this project. I don't check it weekly but whenever I do so much nuanced stuff emerges and it has really shaped up to be a beautiful reimagining of Z2 as a better realized Zelda title.

Trax

• View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
« Reply #808 on: January 09, 2020, 09:32:12 pm »
Well, I did the best I could to remove music in Zelda II, and I couldn't find a way to remove the Intro music. I also left the Credits music because I thought it was more appropriate, but if someone thinks having slient credits is better (more dramatic, like in a TV series), you can change ROM offset 0x14C5B from 08 to 00. My patch has 10 changes in it (11 if you include Credits), which mostly consist of changing the value written to $EB to 00 instead of whatever non-zero music code. Sound effects and short fanfares (Demon Hit, Get Item, Crystal Placed, etc.) are still there and will also play.

Download the IPS patch here: www.bwass.org/romhack/zelda2/zelda2nomusic.ips

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #809 on: January 13, 2020, 05:39:24 pm »
Can anyone else replicate the issue with the "Keep Exp At Gameover" patch?
Not having that problem here. Could they be having a potential ROM issue?