News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Poll

What should the new name for the "Spell" spell be?

Reveal
5 (21.7%)
Unveil
4 (17.4%)
Enigma
9 (39.1%)
Expose
5 (21.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Zelda II Redux  (Read 142228 times)

Cyneprepou4uk

• Самый лысый ромхакер
    • View Profile
Re: Zelda II Redux
« Reply #780 on: September 10, 2019, 11:19:58 pm »
  • D-Pad Up and Down now control the cursor in the File Selection and Elimination mode menus (Pending)

TODO list:
  • Make it so Up/Down on the D-Pad moves the fairy cursor in the menus accordingly (File Selection and Elimination Mode). DarkSamus993 is currently working on this.

3 months later and it's still pending? Didn't you test my code? 
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 11:28:52 pm by Cyneprepou4uk »
I am the baldest romhacker
NES Romhacking Guide

DarkSamus993

• View Profile
« Reply #781 on: September 11, 2019, 12:22:08 am »

Your cursor code has been replaced as part of my new code for the menus. The cursor now functions from a single subroutine instead of one for each menu.

My new menu code hasn't been released yet, so I believe your code has been included for now in the lastest public build.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 12:30:53 am by DarkSamus993 »

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #782 on: September 11, 2019, 04:20:37 pm »

Your cursor code has been replaced as part of my new code for the menus. The cursor now functions from a single subroutine instead of one for each menu.

My new menu code hasn't been released yet, so I believe your code has been included for now in the lastest public build.

As DarkSamus himself explained it, it's because the menu code is being reworked extensively to make it behave more like modern Zelda menus.
You can see it here with the hack DarkSamus is working on for the menus, as posted by him in the previous page:

Dirtbag

• View Profile
« Reply #783 on: September 13, 2019, 06:21:27 pm »
Just thought I'd update on my play through, keep in mind this is my first ever play of zelda 2.  I'm at the Great Palace and so far I've enjoyed the game and haven't found it overly challenging or frustrating. 

There where two things I did resort to looking up online.  Firstly I had no idea you could chop down trees in the overworld, so I couldn't find the hidden town.  I'd been to the area a few times because of the hint in the abounded town but didn't find it. The other is the lost child.

I think if there was a clue from towns people about chopping trees it would be nice.

For the missing child a graphical hint on the overworld could work.
Add to that the guy living in the woods near the start!

The only other observation I made was when you die as the fairy you it doesnt turn to a silhouette like Link does.  It would be cool to turn back to Link on the death screen.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 05:23:33 am by Dirtbag »

duke24e

• View Profile
« Reply #784 on: September 14, 2019, 10:30:17 am »
There is something I like a lot when playing zelda 1 (the first zelda on nes, its not a typo lol)

it is the player can explore almost 95% of the overworld without progress in the game and you realize you must complete palace and find items to going into more dangerous zone.

with zelda 2, its more like a straight path, you cant go on overworld 2 without the raft and you cant go into palace3 if you dont have the hammer..
on the overworld 2 you have to do the 4th palace before going on palace 5 and you cant go south before getting the flute on palace5.

Thats why I suggest theses modifications to bring the exploring possibility to another level:
1. remove the roadblock before path leading to the town beside the palace3.
2. add a cavern with strong enemies and the exit would be on the overworld 2, it is supposed to be very hard to going on this new cave to not making the raft useless, because the raft will act as a shortcut once you get it.
3. same thing to the overworld 2, adding a very hard challenging cave to go south without having to have the flute. The flute will act as a shortcut to going to south once you get it.

4. moving somes items locations:
candle: palace1 (no changes)
glove: palace2 (no changes)
raft: palace4 (so you have to pass the new cave before getting it and the player have to explore overworld 2)
boots: death mountain
hammer: palace3
flute: dead kasuto
magic key: place it in a forest somewhere in north of overworld 2 to be discovered only if you chop the right trees with the hammer.
cross: palace6

any suggestions or comments ? :)

Iceman100x

• View Profile
« Reply #785 on: September 14, 2019, 05:58:35 pm »
I beat the entire game, so i can say everything worked like it was supposed to.

Dirtbag

• View Profile
« Reply #786 on: September 15, 2019, 05:11:22 am »
There is something I like a lot when playing zelda 1 (the first zelda on nes, its not a typo lol)

it is the player can explore almost 95% of the overworld without progress in the game and you realize you must complete palace and find items to going into more dangerous zone.

with zelda 2, its more like a straight path, you cant go on overworld 2 without the raft and you cant go into palace3 if you dont have the hammer..
on the overworld 2 you have to do the 4th palace before going on palace 5 and you cant go south before getting the flute on palace5.

Thats why I suggest theses modifications to bring the exploring possibility to another level:
1. remove the roadblock before path leading to the town beside the palace3.
2. add a cavern with strong enemies and the exit would be on the overworld 2, it is supposed to be very hard to going on this new cave to not making the raft useless, because the raft will act as a shortcut once you get it.
3. same thing to the overworld 2, adding a very hard challenging cave to go south without having to have the flute. The flute will act as a shortcut to going to south once you get it.

4. moving somes items locations:
candle: palace1 (no changes)
glove: palace2 (no changes)
raft: palace4 (so you have to pass the new cave before getting it and the player have to explore overworld 2)
boots: death mountain
hammer: palace3
flute: dead kasuto
magic key: place it in a forest somewhere in north of overworld 2 to be discovered only if you chop the right trees with the hammer.
cross: palace6

any suggestions or comments ? :)

Personally I would not like to see changes like this in the main hack.  Maybe as a different hack or optional patches.  What I really like about this hack is that it is what Zelda II is, but without the frustrations and unfairness it's criticised for.  You can still follow a players guide if you want.  I feel like I've played Zelda II not a remix or hack of it.

September 15, 2019, 12:12:26 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I have now finished the game.  Everything works.  Reading over all the things you have changed I understand what a harsh game Zelda II was.  Over all I enjoyed playing.

In addition to what I reported before that caused me to lookup what I needed to do, the hidden floor/ hole at the end of the Great Palace could do with having a graphical hint IMO.  A slightly lighter or darker colour maybe?  Same with prevouus palace where you have to go through the wall, I found that by luck.

Over all a great hack, thank you to all those who made it happen.  Great work, thank you.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 12:12:26 pm by Dirtbag »

duke24e

• View Profile
« Reply #787 on: September 16, 2019, 09:45:22 am »
Instead of having the barrier in great palace, would it be possible to just hide the palace until we place all the crystals ?

What is the utility of the barrier anyway ? I wonder what would happen if you try to beat the dark link without completing all the crystals ?

Trax

• View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
« Reply #788 on: September 17, 2019, 11:04:55 pm »
The Barrier is to prevent players from entering the Great Palace without first placing the 6 crystals.

duke24e

• View Profile
« Reply #789 on: September 18, 2019, 07:22:53 am »
The Barrier is to prevent players from entering the Great Palace without first placing the 6 crystals.

I see .. instead of that I would prefer to make to last palace invisible until we have placed all the crystals :)

mdtauk

• View Profile
« Reply #790 on: September 21, 2019, 01:40:23 pm »
Whilst I was browsing Reddit I saw an awesome redesign of the Link Sprite.

I suggested to the author that they should get I touch and see if it could be included in this Rom hack.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PixelArt/comments/d7bxn4/a_resprite_thingy_of_link_from_zelda_2_i_did_for/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #791 on: September 21, 2019, 03:31:23 pm »
It's not a complete set. The issue with that redesign is the shield itself that's protecting you from projectiles, down and up. Default pose is protecting the upper half, and the redesign has no consideration for it. We already have a new look for him that you can see some pages back.

He's not blond. To be fair, we don't use the pants.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 04:17:47 pm by Jeville »

lastdual

• View Profile
« Reply #792 on: September 21, 2019, 09:15:02 pm »
I'm still rather partial to my Link sprites (http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3702/) ;D

Of course, I can always just make an addendum when this hack gets out of beta. Looking forward to that 1.0!

Trax

• View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
« Reply #793 on: September 22, 2019, 12:41:53 pm »
That sprite looks good, although he looks more like some sort of superhero ninja. You'd need a total of 13 sprites (15 if you want to include Fairy form) to make it work in the game.

- Link standing still
- Walking cycle : 3 frames
- Sword stab : 2 frames, one for leaning back and one for the actual stab
- Link ducked (same sprite for mid-air frame)
- Ducked sword stab
- Downstab and upstab
- Link getting hit
- Link holding an item
- Link seen from the back (ending cutscene)
- You may as well want to make a new Fairy form, 2 frames (Link in Fairy form and normal fairies share the same sprites)

Dr. Dreadhawk

• View Profile
« Reply #794 on: September 22, 2019, 10:28:55 pm »
Zelda II has a lot of inconsistencies with design, faceless sprites vs. detailed eyes, misc proportions, you name it, it's a mess. I don't think adding another inconsistency would help at all.