News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Poll

What should the new name for the "Spell" spell be?

Reveal
5 (21.7%)
Unveil
4 (17.4%)
Enigma
9 (39.1%)
Expose
5 (21.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Zelda II Redux  (Read 156942 times)

Dirtbag

• View Profile
Re: Zelda II Redux
« Reply #760 on: August 27, 2019, 05:27:25 pm »
As a fist time player the only thing that really itrates me so far is wasting magic.  It's a bit of a case of use error I guess however it's happened a few time to me.

For example if I've got full health already or sheild spell on and accidentally cast the spell I lose the magic for no advantage.  The health is a pain as it's  alot of wasted magic for nothing.

DarkSamus993

• View Profile
« Reply #761 on: August 27, 2019, 06:56:10 pm »
As a fist time player the only thing that really irritates me so far is wasting magic.  It's a bit of a case of use error I guess however it's happened a few time to me.

I've been working on converting & optimizing all of Redux's changes into separate ASM files for the final release. There are also some new improvements I've added, including making it so magic can't be wasted.

Spoiler:

The file menus have gotten some new improvements semi-recently:

Fairy can now switch back and forth with the A button:

Added an optional patch for a double jump to replace the jump spell:

« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 07:08:17 pm by DarkSamus993 »

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #762 on: August 27, 2019, 10:32:53 pm »
Each and every thing you work on turns into magic, DarkSamus :p
I'm amazed at the work and compete overhaul you are doing to this project.
Words can't express enough the gratitude for it! :D

Dirtbag

• View Profile
« Reply #763 on: August 28, 2019, 08:53:38 am »
I've been working on converting & optimizing all of Redux's changes into separate ASM files for the final release. There are also some new improvements I've added, including making it so magic can't be wasted.

Spoiler:

Sounds great.  Keep up the good work everyone!

wolpak

• View Profile
« Reply #764 on: August 28, 2019, 10:26:56 am »
How does the double jump magic consumption work?  You cast it and it lasts for the screen, right?  Anyway to have it use magic on each second jump?

DarkSamus993

• View Profile
« Reply #765 on: August 28, 2019, 10:39:41 am »
How does the double jump magic consumption work?  You cast it and it lasts for the screen, right?  Anyway to have it use magic on each second jump?

It lasts for the screen the same way the original jump spell does. It could probably be made to use magic each jump, but that sounds impractical.

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #766 on: August 30, 2019, 11:13:21 am »

Spoiler:

Those features are very cool. Perhaps make the double jump permanent?

IAmCaptPlanet

• View Profile
« Reply #767 on: August 30, 2019, 11:49:33 pm »
i thought it would be cool to learn double jump from a "move tutor" in a similar fashion to up and down thrust.

and still retain the "jump" spell, but that would kinda make that spell useless and silly (with double jump AND "Jump" spell cast)

but this would probably be better, cause a free double jump would be insta-easy mode.

at least charging a tiny bit of magic to use would stop people from spamming double jump, so it'd be a good balance. i think

(i still think if enemies had rando heart drops that restored a little health would be cool and in-line with the rest of the series, but that would be redundant with magic that does that already and magic drops)

itemdrop

• View Profile
« Reply #768 on: August 31, 2019, 10:11:28 am »
I LOVE these two hacks but they really don't work for vanilla z2 in a meaningful way over what is already there. these would make awesome spells for a z2 hack. where you could build ideas around both spells. The link to fairy to link spell imagine some of the cool puzzles you could base around it. this is just my feeling regardless amazing work DarkSamus

Trax

• View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
« Reply #769 on: August 31, 2019, 03:52:46 pm »
That's my opinion, too. Zelda II Redux is just that: redux. Not a full blown hack with a new story. That said, it doesn't mean DarkSamus's hacks don't belong somewhere. The double jump looks cool and reliable, the new menus are fantastic and the Fairy swap does have potential for new puzzles. But, in a new hack. Not the original.

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: August 31, 2019, 08:53:16 pm »
Those features are very cool. Perhaps make the double jump permanent?
Gaining the boots, could allow this. In addition, casting Jump again, how about a Triple or even a Space Jump?

wolpak

• View Profile
« Reply #771 on: September 03, 2019, 09:12:16 am »
Is there any way to have fairy mode drain mana instead of a one time use?

duke24e

• View Profile
« Reply #772 on: September 03, 2019, 01:41:43 pm »
I dont know if theses suggestions already been post, but oh well :)

1. It would be nice to change the annoying screaming sound when Link random scene encounter when walking on overworld to something more soft like the original japanese version.

2. For lower HP blue guy in the great palace, I completely disagree, it is supposed to be hard and we just need to learn the pattern of each monster to beat them.

3. shadow link weakness should be removed (staying on left screen and keeping slay) that is a trick on US version.

4. replace the blue knight mini-boss before the fake wall in the 5th palace by the boss in the 2nd palace (keeping the final boss from the usa version)

5. Add couple of towns without nothing special and 1-2 palaces without crystal, just to make XP

6. when we use shield, the effect doesn't disappear when we change scene.

7. raft should have a second utility instead of just 1 time, dont know what what it could be.

8. the long bridge to the maze island should have couple of fight scenes.

9. It would be nice to have a sword upgrade like in Zelda 1. I know we can upgrade sword with level up, but it could be nice to have both. Lets say you are at level 4 for sword, if you find the second sword, it it hit harder at the same level .. I would put that sword somewhere in a forest on second world, protected by hard monsters or in a palace (if the palace is closed before getting the sword, too bad lol)

Or maybe a shield upgrade that help link take less damage ?

10. replace the magic key with another useful item ? the magic key is some kind useless in my opinion..

« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 02:50:19 pm by duke24e »

IAmCaptPlanet

• View Profile
« Reply #773 on: September 03, 2019, 03:18:10 pm »
that would be cool, only drain magic while in fairy mode? but then it could be cheesed a little, to get through locks with only a tiny bit of use.

but fairy is neat to help you cross whole rooms that are too hard on enemies and platforming too, so it's a cool idea. i like the idea of dropping out of fairy killing a baddie and popping back in. could make some of the fighting more engaging

but did the o.g. post get updated with that new fairy behavior spell and the double jump spell? i cant seem to find them (sorry if i'm overlooking something in plain sight, btw)

duke24e

• View Profile
« Reply #774 on: September 03, 2019, 03:50:50 pm »
Quick update.
I got feedback regarding the OriginalLinkDolls.ips optional patch, it turns out that using this patch crashed the game whenever you obtained a Link Doll.

Took a look at it, and found out I made a slight mistake in which I restored the original code of the Link Doll just one byte after the supposed addressed.
Went ahead and fixed the issue with it, and reuploaded the optional patch so it should now work without problems. :)

I also updated the main Redux patch to change "Elimination Mode" to "Erase Save File"
Enjoy!
Wouldn't having the Master Sword in there be, more or less, pointless?
Zelda 2 is one of the few Zelda games where you don't obtain any sword upgrades, and with fair reason.

The main reason why Link gets the Master Sword in many of the games is to fight against Ganon/Ganondorf (hence why it's called the Sword of Evil's Bane). The Master Sword is used only to fight back against him most of the time.
In Zelda 2, there is no Ganon/Ganondorf to fight, not even a main antagonist at that, only the Thunderbird and Dark Link, but those are credited more to some sort of tests to be worthy of the Triforce of Courage, which Link is after to revive Zelda and prevent the resurrection of Ganon.

Adding the Master Sword into the game would indeed require some heavy hacking, adding the sprites for the Sword, the coding for obtaining it, item placement, event, etc.
Don't want to sound harsh or anything, it's possible for sure, but I think doing that would greatly fall out of the scope of what this hack is focusing on, which is to make Zelda 2 an overall better experience.

I dont know if it would be that much trouble adding a sword upgrade ? let say the 1st sword have a formula based on the level of the sword to deal damage. We just need to edit that formula to add more damage to the sword if the player get the 2nd sword item.

Idea: I would replace the item "trophy" by the second sword. because once the trophy is used its is useless and the second sword could be obtained in the second part of the world.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #775 on: September 03, 2019, 04:52:22 pm »
The double jump and fairy are optional patches for those that want to screw around with them :P
As for the OP, I haven't updated it yet, I will wait until those are actually available before I update the OP with new info :)

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #776 on: September 04, 2019, 11:21:20 am »
I think both of those patches are great and I will definitively use them.

Adding the double jump to the boots and then upgrading the spell into a triple jump sounds even better.

wolpak

• View Profile
« Reply #777 on: September 05, 2019, 09:35:26 am »
that would be cool, only drain magic while in fairy mode? but then it could be cheesed a little, to get through locks with only a tiny bit of use.

but fairy is neat to help you cross whole rooms that are too hard on enemies and platforming too, so it's a cool idea. i like the idea of dropping out of fairy killing a baddie and popping back in. could make some of the fighting more engaging

but did the o.g. post get updated with that new fairy behavior spell and the double jump spell? i cant seem to find them (sorry if i'm overlooking something in plain sight, btw)

So have a combo, like the spell costs half the normal cost, and then drains.  So, if you flip it on and off a few times, it costs more than just clipping it on and leaving it.

duke24e

• View Profile
« Reply #778 on: September 05, 2019, 11:35:08 am »
So have a combo, like the spell costs half the normal cost, and then drains.  So, if you flip it on and off a few times, it costs more than just clipping it on and leaving it.

If it drain magic, just make the magic cost of zero :)

IAmCaptPlanet

• View Profile
« Reply #779 on: September 05, 2019, 09:59:48 pm »
The double jump and fairy are optional patches for those that want to screw around with them :P
As for the OP, I haven't updated it yet, I will wait until those are actually available before I update the OP with new info :)

ok, so those patches aren't even available yet, i was looking for links to them and couldnt find them, so figured maybe the op was updated.

BAITED (BATED?) BREATH is how i'm waiting. i LOVE this project btw (if you couldn't tell)