News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Poll

What should the new name for the "Spell" spell be?

Reveal
5 (21.7%)
Unveil
4 (17.4%)
Enigma
9 (39.1%)
Expose
5 (21.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Zelda II Redux  (Read 115431 times)

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
Re: Zelda II Redux
« Reply #720 on: June 21, 2019, 03:11:06 pm »
It might be worth linking the optional patches in the OP ;)
Done :P
Added the link to the Optional patches to the OP, as well as the list of what each one does inside the spoiler tag.
For anyone interested, check those out.
I also went ahead and added a new optional patch, which restores the original sword back into the title screen (and no moon), for the purist ones.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 05:19:41 pm by ShadowOne333 »

ultimaweapon

• View Profile
« Reply #721 on: June 24, 2019, 05:52:21 pm »
Weird, I'm using FCEUX 2.2.3 on Windows and its working completely fine for me.
The RetroArch core also works fine.

Can you try with this patch?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t465z2zwi4w9x7f/Zelda2Redux.ips?dl=0

Let me know if the same thing is still happening.
I tried creating a save in all three slots, loading them and going to the overworld, but all works fine for me.
It's hard to tell to be honest.
I know IcePenguin struggled a bit to get some free tiles working for the new HUD, but you could look around at how the game loads its data banks, and see in the PPU viewer exactly what tiles are being used, and which aren't.
Perhaps you can make use of a couple that aren't being used and use those for the accented A and O.
The link for your patch doesn't work ShadowOne.
Trust in the Heart of the Cards

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #722 on: June 24, 2019, 08:31:19 pm »
The link for your patch doesn't work ShadowOne.
Yeah it's because I already posted the fixed patch in the OP and removed that one.
Download the latest version from the OP instead.

MattKimura

• View Profile
« Reply #723 on: June 25, 2019, 06:45:37 am »
The titlescreen optional patch doesn't seem to restore the original titlescreen entirely. The stone color is still brown instead of gray. Unless perhaps it was intentional, I'd understand.

Zimgief

• View Profile
« Reply #724 on: June 25, 2019, 08:18:44 am »
Hi, I am interested in some changes you made, because they are obvious improvements to game design errors, but I would like to leave the game as close to the original as possible.
Would you be so kind as to make them optional patches for those who are interested just in that?

- Picking up a Link Doll now adds a life to the total amount of lives you start the game with (restart), making the Link Dolls more useful instead of just having its benefits present until you hit a game over.
- Life counter caps at 9, but you can still gather more lives via the 9000 Exp method, the counter simply won't go past 9.

And
- Manual Save Feature: You can now save the game by Pausing and then pressing Up+A on the Pause screen (both in side-scroll pause and overworld pause!)
- Manual saves no longer count towards the Death counter in the Selection screen! Now only Game Overs should increment that counter

Thanks a lot, I truly hope you can do that.
A more general consideration is that (I think) the hack would broaden its appeal if it was a collection of individual patches. The more you make changes, the more chances all of them won't please a potential player.
Any way, keep up the good work. This hack is better and better!

CoolCatBomberMan

• View Profile
« Reply #725 on: June 25, 2019, 03:37:38 pm »
You're so close now! I haven't touched the beta patches to give the full release more of an impact, so I can't wait!

Ray572

• View Profile
« Reply #726 on: June 27, 2019, 11:58:23 pm »
Hello
I returned to play but with this patch and all good (without optional)
I always found that in the end something was missing, something more exciting that I do not know if it could be added.
I mean that when you get the triforce, link necessarily have to leave the castle (manually) return to where is the princess zelda to perform the magic and wake up. Also add that when you return you can go through the towns and they are grateful that the saved saved from Ganon. You could see the item gained from the triforce in the menu among other options at the end.
Is this ending viable?

sorry my english, I hope it has been understood :huh:

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #727 on: June 28, 2019, 12:10:04 pm »
- Picking up a Link Doll now adds a life to the total amount of lives you start the game with (restart), making the Link Dolls more useful instead of just having its benefits present until you hit a game over.
- Life counter caps at 9, but you can still gather more lives via the 9000 Exp method, the counter simply won't go past 9.
These two are addressed in an optional patch.
The optional patch called "LinkDolls.ips", this makes it so that the Dolls beheave in the same way as in original Zelda 2.

Although, the manual save options are sadly not optional, those are deliberately made that way so that the user can save at any time, anywhere, without worrying about the game counting that as a Game Over.
Now ONLY the Game Overs will be taken into account for the counter in the main menu, as with other subsequent Zelda games like Ocarina and onwards.

Hello
I returned to play but with this patch and all good (without optional)
I always found that in the end something was missing, something more exciting that I do not know if it could be added.
I mean that when you get the triforce, link necessarily have to leave the castle (manually) return to where is the princess zelda to perform the magic and wake up. Also add that when you return you can go through the towns and they are grateful that the saved saved from Ganon. You could see the item gained from the triforce in the menu among other options at the end.
Is this ending viable?

sorry my english, I hope it has been understood :huh:
You do get the triforce in the menu :P
For the Second Quest at least, you get a nice Triforce symbol once you complete the game.

Badseed

• View Profile
« Reply #728 on: June 28, 2019, 01:42:26 pm »
I can't wait to check out your work. All this attention towards Zelda II is great, I always loved this game and Castlevania II. There must be something wrong with me.
"Now is the happening of Plan B!! Time for max-strength spray! Your brains will be washed with 99.9% effectiveness!"

Ray572

• View Profile
« Reply #729 on: June 28, 2019, 05:33:01 pm »
For the Second Quest at least, you get a nice Triforce symbol once you complete the game.

Yes of course, but I'm referring mainly to a change at the end of the game. After defeating the link-shadow and you receive the triforce, we have to leave the castle and return manually, without any danger, without monsters, we can go through the towns, talk to its peoples, they are grateful that we restore peace, we are their hero etc, and when you get to the castle of zelda, leave the scene where Link uses the triforce to wake up the princess ...
It looks difficult, so I asked if it is feasible to do something like that.
This occurred to me 10 years ago and it would be great if it could be done  :beer:

Zimgief

• View Profile
« Reply #730 on: June 28, 2019, 06:56:17 pm »
Ala Dragon Warrior, isn't it?

Thanks for the optional patch!

darthvaderx

• View Profile
« Reply #731 on: June 28, 2019, 08:55:57 pm »
Again:

Rev Edition 1.6 + Latest Redux + Link New Sprites =

"Legend of Zelda II Redux DX"

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/16Q2-m8IkgaVSODEROuzEidZk8wxYacXG?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 09:07:35 am by darthvaderx »

DannyPlaysSomeGames

• Wait, this isn't Burger King
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: June 29, 2019, 09:00:50 am »
Hey so I noticed there's a bit of an error with the opening crawl. It states that the old Princess Zelda will only wake up by "the power of the third triforce of courage", but then that implies that all parts of the triforce are of courage. Just felt like pointing that out.
Hey there

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #733 on: June 29, 2019, 08:06:17 pm »
These two are addressed in an optional patch.
The optional patch called "LinkDolls.ips", this makes it so that the Dolls beheave in the same way as in original Zelda 2.

Although, the manual save options are sadly not optional, those are deliberately made that way so that the user can save at any time, anywhere, without worrying about the game counting that as a Game Over.
Now ONLY the Game Overs will be taken into account for the counter in the main menu, as with other subsequent Zelda games like Ocarina and onwards.
Again:

Rev Edition 1.6 + Latest Redux + Link New Sprites =

"Legend of Zelda II Redux DX"

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17ADhwlI05LKw6C2L_-UlPfJRDr_TdrtX/view?usp=sharing

As you can see with the above image, when the game is paused, there is a glitch. Not game breaking, just thought I'd let you know.

darthvaderx

• View Profile
« Reply #734 on: June 30, 2019, 05:44:09 pm »
Yes, I've seen it before, but it's only ShadowOne999 who can fix it.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #735 on: June 30, 2019, 06:46:16 pm »
For some reason, I can't seem to open that image. It says I'm not the owner and can't see it at all.

darthvaderx

• View Profile
« Reply #736 on: June 30, 2019, 07:15:03 pm »
For some reason, I can't seem to open that image. It says I'm not the owner and can't see it at all.

But I just fixed it here now (it looks like I'm finally learning how to work with Tile Layer Pro  :happy:):

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/16Q2-m8IkgaVSODEROuzEidZk8wxYacXG?usp=sharing

ShadowOne999, I'm just waiting for your Zelda II Redux final version.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 09:06:58 am by darthvaderx »

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #737 on: July 01, 2019, 12:43:06 am »
Not sure where it went. Seemed to have been added in with the post originally. However, Darthvaderx showed it.