News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Poll

What should the new name for the "Spell" spell be?

Reveal
5 (21.7%)
Unveil
4 (17.4%)
Enigma
9 (39.1%)
Expose
5 (21.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Zelda II Redux  (Read 121442 times)

Shade Aurion

• Submission Reviewer
  • Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
Re: Zelda II Redux
« Reply #700 on: June 16, 2019, 01:26:57 pm »
I'll do you one better. Heres a quick test video via Mesen - https://youtu.be/374YeNbGdL4
It has worse results with Nestopia and I patched this to the same rom I patched everything else with using flips. This is plain Redux beta without the optional patches though ideally, i'd like to get them working too. Although the fairy file select would be nice, i'm itching to do another playthrough haha

Mattiac

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: June 16, 2019, 04:48:21 pm »
Can someone please tell me if there's three available tiles? I wish to add the Swedish characters Å, Ä and Ö. I'm using the PAL version. Maybe I can just draw dots on A and O somehow?

It would be great if all your changes were available as patches. I would like to have six lines of text for the NPC for example. Thank you in advance if possible!

kamikaze55

• View Profile
« Reply #702 on: June 17, 2019, 10:11:12 am »
Hello! I was just turned onto this mod by a friend of mine who also comments in these forums. First, I would like to give a bit of info about myself in relation to Zelda 2 as I feel that it's necessary. I will point blank state here at the beginning of this reply that I am new here and I do not mean for any of this to sound or feel condescending or to be critical for the sake of being critical. Everything written below is with absolute respect!

I have been playing Zelda II since it's original NES release. It's my favorite of the two Zelda's for the NES and it is quite high...almost number one on my all time favorite games list. I play both the NES and the FDS(Famicom Disk System) original frequently. I actually play more of the FDS version than the NES version nowadays. You may or may not know some of what I mention from this point on. I will mention the following things as if you don't know...not that you don't but it's for an explanation's sake.

I have been looking for some time for an "ultimate" version of Zelda II for years. I will point blank state that most mods to this particular game are insulting and downright terrible specifically for purists lol. By "Ultimate" version I basically mean taking the FDS and NES versions and combining them. Taking the good parts of the original FDS and good parts of the NES version and combining them. For instance, the Palace palettes and textures in the NES version are by far superior to that of the FDS version. In the FDS version the textures of the palaces are pretty much identical to the first palace while there are only two colors...Grey and that funky Green...while the NES version has different palettes and textures for each palace.

If this is the case...so why not just play the NES version? Because the FDS version has incredible strengths to it. Some things aren't actually strengths...they are more preferences than anything. The FDS version's music is by far superior to that of the NES version. Both the original Famicom and the NES have only one sound channel. Therefore the music is more of a Mono version. Because the FDS was an addon to the Famicom, it contained an extra sound channel. This of course caused the ability for the Famicom paired with the FDS to have superior sound i.e. Stereo. The original makers of the FDS and games exploited this to the max.

The thing that I view as a "strength" to the FDS version that some might consider to be more of a preference is the leveling system. The leveling system in the FDS version was far more free compared to the NES version. Each time you hit the exp goal...50/100/150/200 etc. you can level any one of the three. There is no restriction to one specific ability. Whereas they changed this for the NES version by restricting access to which ability can be leveled when.

The FDS version is easier in this respect as you can level the Sword all the way to 5 before leaving the first Palace. They also changed the amount of exp required in the end. The max exp to get each ability to 8 is 4000 exp in the FDS version. While in the NES version it's of course, 8000 exp and 9000 gives extra lives.

So after all of this explanation...I've been looking for someone with the vision to basically combine the FDS and NES versions to create the most complete version between the two. However, no one has had the vision for this. If I were code literate...I would do it without question but I'm not. Which when explaining this to a friend...led me to your mod. I didn't know it existed...probably because the plethora of mods I have seen...are insulting, not just to me but to the original makers of the game from a purist perspective. Most mods alter pretty much everything. The end result is a highly tampered with Mod that changes the game entirely. Either making the game incredibly difficult by adding new content entirely or dumbing down everything to make it incredibly easy as if you are playing "Super Link". With this said, I have almost entirely avoided any kind of mod for this game. I do not necessarily look down on making this game easier at all. However, there is a point where the game is so easy...what's the point of playing it?

That is...until my friend led me to your mod of this game. He basically said paraphrasing "what you are describing sounds like this mod". I will entirely admit that I was hesitant.

I have played your mod for Zelda II for the past three weeks or so, Seven times total all the way through to the end of the game. Visually, I'm incredibly impressed. I loved your changes to the title screen and most especially the Link sprite. I almost cried at this. It's not only an accurate representation of the Link sprite in unison with most of the other Zelda games, it's respectful. This is entirely what made me actually care to delve further into the game and play it completely. As I have stated, up to this point...Seven times total all the way through. Most of the things in this mod are great.

There are a few small criticisms. I do not mean to sound disrespectful to you...you have abilities and an obvious incredible talent for modding games. This is the first mod that I have personally ever seen that is respectful to the game and the changes are done incredibly well. If it is okay, I would like to point out just a few small things.

1. Why not use the FDS music score for this game instead of the NES version? I know that you used one of the songs from the FDS version later in the game for the side-scrolling scenes in East Hyrule. I would argue that since the FDS versions music is superior, why not use that score for the entirety of the game and swap out the one FDS song you use in East Hyrule for the one that is only in the NES version instead? A true Zelda II fan will tell you that the FDS soundtrack is by far superior. While I understand nostalgia and using the NES versions music throughout, I'm arguing for a better sounding game. I would even argue that the Roar in the FDS versions boss fights should also be included. It really does give the boss fights a true sense of danger. I still do not understand why they removed the roar from the NES version.

2. I'm extremely happy with most of the changes that you have done. I still prefer the FDS versions leveling system but with your other changes, using the FDS versions leveling system would make the game way too easy...which I would be against. I was dumbfounded when I saw that the roaming guards in the first palace give 2 exp. I understand that as a good thing entirely. So number 2 isn't really a complaint, it's simply explaining that I prefer the FDS leveling system but given your changes, it isn't needed.

3. Magic. I totally get why you would lower the spell cost for each ability. My only problem is that the spell cost at the beginning to the middle of the game is virtually non-existent. What's the point of ever leveling it when spells at the beginning are already pretty cheap? I would suggest upping the cost a bit for each spell but not to the extent of the original game. I think the spell cost in the original game is way way too steep. I totally agree with lessening the effects of how much magic is taken when using a spell. However, the point of leveling the Magic ability is to strengthen it so that spells in the end, level 8, will not cost as much as they did early on. By the time you get the Thunder spell in the original...yes it takes too much magic. However, in your version it takes very very little. However, you aren't going to get most of these spells at a low level anyway. I don't mind the spell costs at max level. It's more about the early levels...like 1 through 4 or 5. It just feels too easy.

4. I do not understand why you changed the final Palace. I honestly don't get it. I will point blank state that I did not like the change to the two rooms early on in the palace that originally had no enemies. Specifically the bridge room. You added the jumping fish but they shoot unblockable fire. However, this is only a very small minor complaint. However, FDS shadow Link at the end of this palace is far more difficult to beat. The ducking in the corner trick doesn't work on Link in this version...while the NES version it does. Some have concluded that it was either purposely added to the NES version or it was a bug that was created and that they didn't notice when transferred over. I'm not sure if you knew this or not.

5. I would strongly recommend adding the pen names in the credits back in. It's like taking the creators of the game's signature and altering them. They wanted Pen names for a reason.

In the end my only complaints are the music and the magic and the credits. Other than these...this is a damn fine and almost perfect Zelda II. Now to play it Seven more times. Sincerely, you are a masterful code modder!

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #703 on: June 17, 2019, 10:34:28 am »
I'll do you one better. Heres a quick test video via Mesen - https://youtu.be/374YeNbGdL4
It has worse results with Nestopia and I patched this to the same rom I patched everything else with using flips. This is plain Redux beta without the optional patches though ideally, i'd like to get them working too. Although the fairy file select would be nice, i'm itching to do another playthrough haha
Weird, I'm using FCEUX 2.2.3 on Windows and its working completely fine for me.
The RetroArch core also works fine.

Can you try with this patch?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t465z2zwi4w9x7f/Zelda2Redux.ips?dl=0

Let me know if the same thing is still happening.
I tried creating a save in all three slots, loading them and going to the overworld, but all works fine for me.

Can someone please tell me if there's three available tiles? I wish to add the Swedish characters Å, Ä and Ö. I'm using the PAL version. Maybe I can just draw dots on A and O somehow?

It would be great if all your changes were available as patches. I would like to have six lines of text for the NPC for example. Thank you in advance if possible!
It's hard to tell to be honest.
I know IcePenguin struggled a bit to get some free tiles working for the new HUD, but you could look around at how the game loads its data banks, and see in the PPU viewer exactly what tiles are being used, and which aren't.
Perhaps you can make use of a couple that aren't being used and use those for the accented A and O.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Out of that, I've got a bit of news flash :P

I reached out to user @d-man from PK Hack (which has helped me a lot with things for MaternalBound Redux), since I know he knows 65816 assembly, and he helped me to get the Up/Down cursor movement for the Elimination Mode to an extend :)

This is the new code that has been implemented into Redux to make this work:

Code: [Select]
05:B4AA:4C 20 BE  JMP $BE20
 05:B4AD:EA        NOP
 05:B4AE:EA        NOP
 05:B4AF:EA        NOP
 05:B4B0:EA        NOP
 05:B4B1:EA        NOP
 05:B4B2:EA        NOP
 05:B4B3:EA        NOP
 05:B4B4:EA        NOP
 05:B4B5:EA        NOP
 05:B4B6:EA        NOP
 05:B4B7:EA        NOP
 05:B4B8:EA        NOP
 05:B4B9:EA        NOP
 05:B4BA:EA        NOP
 05:B4BB:EA        NOP
 05:B4BC:20 02 B5  JSR $B502

At $BE20 (or 0x17BE30 in PC address with a Hex editor), I wrote a new routine, which d-man made the most work for:

05:BE20:F0 10     BEQ $BE32
 05:BE22:A9 04     LDA #$04
 05:BE24:85 EB     STA $00EB = #$00
 05:BE26:E6 19     INC $0019 = #$00
 05:BE28:A5 19     LDA $0019 = #$00
 05:BE2A:C9 04     CMP #$04
 05:BE2C:D0 1A     BNE $BE48
 05:BE2E:A9 00     LDA #$00
 05:BE30:85 19     STA $0019 = #$00
 05:BE32:A5 F5     LDA $00F5 = #$00
 05:BE34:29 08     AND #$08
 05:BE36:F0 10     BEQ $BE48
 05:BE38:A9 04     LDA #$04
 05:BE3A:85 EB     STA $00EB = #$00
 05:BE3C:C6 19     DEC $0019 = #$00
 05:BE3E:A5 19     LDA $0019 = #$00
 05:BE40:C9 FF     CMP #$FF
 05:BE42:D0 04     BNE $BE48
 05:BE44:A9 03     LDA #$03
 05:BE46:85 19     STA $0019 = #$00
 05:BE48:4C BC B4  JMP $B4BC

So what does this new code do?
Well, it makes it so that the Up/Down buttons now move the cursor (as well as Select).
Pressing Up moves the cursor up, Down/Select move the cursor down.

However, there's one drawback from this.

Pressing Down works just fine between save slots.
However, if there's one save slot that it's not used, pressing Up will not move the cursor to the next available save slot in Elimination mode.

I'm guessing this has something to do with what IcePenguin said some pages back:
https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=26001.msg370703#msg370703

It might have to do with the different "cursor combinations" that he mentions in that post.
Also, if I'm correct, I believe the label LB4CB at 0x174db up to 0x174e2 might have something to do with this.

I'll see what can be achieved with this, as I really want to get this done since it's the last thing remaining for a proper release.

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
« Reply #704 on: June 17, 2019, 03:07:52 pm »
Interesting points. I know there was some discussion of using more FDS music quite a ways back in this thread and I don't quite remember the outcome other than importing that solitary FDS song.

As far as reduced magic consumption, that was probably the one main thing I'd also vote for tweaking a little. Agreed that it could be a lower consumption rate than the original but higher than it currently is. When I go through this hack, I feel like I can cast spells casually and frequently with very little risk of running out magic. I'd like to still have to worry a little about conservation to keep the feeling of the game intact.

Hello! I was just turned onto this mod by a friend of mine who also comments in these forums. First, I would like to give a bit of info about myself in relation to Zelda 2 as I feel that it's necessary. I will point blank state here at the beginning of this reply that I am new here and I do not mean for any of this to sound or feel condescending or to be critical for the sake of being critical. Everything written below is with absolute respect!

I have been playing Zelda II since it's original NES release. It's my favorite of the two Zelda's for the NES and it is quite high...almost number one on my all time favorite games list. I play both the NES and the FDS(Famicom Disk System) original frequently. I actually play more of the FDS version than the NES version nowadays. You may or may not know some of what I mention from this point on. I will mention the following things as if you don't know...not that you don't but it's for an explanation's sake.

I have been looking for some time for an "ultimate" version of Zelda II for years. I will point blank state that most mods to this particular game are insulting and downright terrible specifically for purists lol. By "Ultimate" version I basically mean taking the FDS and NES versions and combining them. Taking the good parts of the original FDS and good parts of the NES version and combining them. For instance, the Palace palettes and textures in the NES version are by far superior to that of the FDS version. In the FDS version the textures of the palaces are pretty much identical to the first palace while there are only two colors...Grey and that funky Green...while the NES version has different palettes and textures for each palace.

If this is the case...so why not just play the NES version? Because the FDS version has incredible strengths to it. Some things aren't actually strengths...they are more preferences than anything. The FDS version's music is by far superior to that of the NES version. Both the original Famicom and the NES have only one sound channel. Therefore the music is more of a Mono version. Because the FDS was an addon to the Famicom, it contained an extra sound channel. This of course caused the ability for the Famicom paired with the FDS to have superior sound i.e. Stereo. The original makers of the FDS and games exploited this to the max.

The thing that I view as a "strength" to the FDS version that some might consider to be more of a preference is the leveling system. The leveling system in the FDS version was far more free compared to the NES version. Each time you hit the exp goal...50/100/150/200 etc. you can level any one of the three. There is no restriction to one specific ability. Whereas they changed this for the NES version by restricting access to which ability can be leveled when.

The FDS version is easier in this respect as you can level the Sword all the way to 5 before leaving the first Palace. They also changed the amount of exp required in the end. The max exp to get each ability to 8 is 4000 exp in the FDS version. While in the NES version it's of course, 8000 exp and 9000 gives extra lives.

So after all of this explanation...I've been looking for someone with the vision to basically combine the FDS and NES versions to create the most complete version between the two. However, no one has had the vision for this. If I were code literate...I would do it without question but I'm not. Which when explaining this to a friend...led me to your mod. I didn't know it existed...probably because the plethora of mods I have seen...are insulting, not just to me but to the original makers of the game from a purist perspective. Most mods alter pretty much everything. The end result is a highly tampered with Mod that changes the game entirely. Either making the game incredibly difficult by adding new content entirely or dumbing down everything to make it incredibly easy as if you are playing "Super Link". With this said, I have almost entirely avoided any kind of mod for this game. I do not necessarily look down on making this game easier at all. However, there is a point where the game is so easy...what's the point of playing it?

That is...until my friend led me to your mod of this game. He basically said paraphrasing "what you are describing sounds like this mod". I will entirely admit that I was hesitant.

I have played your mod for Zelda II for the past three weeks or so, Seven times total all the way through to the end of the game. Visually, I'm incredibly impressed. I loved your changes to the title screen and most especially the Link sprite. I almost cried at this. It's not only an accurate representation of the Link sprite in unison with most of the other Zelda games, it's respectful. This is entirely what made me actually care to delve further into the game and play it completely. As I have stated, up to this point...Seven times total all the way through. Most of the things in this mod are great.

There are a few small criticisms. I do not mean to sound disrespectful to you...you have abilities and an obvious incredible talent for modding games. This is the first mod that I have personally ever seen that is respectful to the game and the changes are done incredibly well. If it is okay, I would like to point out just a few small things.

1. Why not use the FDS music score for this game instead of the NES version? I know that you used one of the songs from the FDS version later in the game for the side-scrolling scenes in East Hyrule. I would argue that since the FDS versions music is superior, why not use that score for the entirety of the game and swap out the one FDS song you use in East Hyrule for the one that is only in the NES version instead? A true Zelda II fan will tell you that the FDS soundtrack is by far superior. While I understand nostalgia and using the NES versions music throughout, I'm arguing for a better sounding game. I would even argue that the Roar in the FDS versions boss fights should also be included. It really does give the boss fights a true sense of danger. I still do not understand why they removed the roar from the NES version.

2. I'm extremely happy with most of the changes that you have done. I still prefer the FDS versions leveling system but with your other changes, using the FDS versions leveling system would make the game way too easy...which I would be against. I was dumbfounded when I saw that the roaming guards in the first palace give 2 exp. I understand that as a good thing entirely. So number 2 isn't really a complaint, it's simply explaining that I prefer the FDS leveling system but given your changes, it isn't needed.

3. Magic. I totally get why you would lower the spell cost for each ability. My only problem is that the spell cost at the beginning to the middle of the game is virtually non-existent. What's the point of ever leveling it when spells at the beginning are already pretty cheap? I would suggest upping the cost a bit for each spell but not to the extent of the original game. I think the spell cost in the original game is way way too steep. I totally agree with lessening the effects of how much magic is taken when using a spell. However, the point of leveling the Magic ability is to strengthen it so that spells in the end, level 8, will not cost as much as they did early on. By the time you get the Thunder spell in the original...yes it takes too much magic. However, in your version it takes very very little. However, you aren't going to get most of these spells at a low level anyway. I don't mind the spell costs at max level. It's more about the early levels...like 1 through 4 or 5. It just feels too easy.

4. I do not understand why you changed the final Palace. I honestly don't get it. I will point blank state that I did not like the change to the two rooms early on in the palace that originally had no enemies. Specifically the bridge room. You added the jumping fish but they shoot unblockable fire. However, this is only a very small minor complaint. However, FDS shadow Link at the end of this palace is far more difficult to beat. The ducking in the corner trick doesn't work on Link in this version...while the NES version it does. Some have concluded that it was either purposely added to the NES version or it was a bug that was created and that they didn't notice when transferred over. I'm not sure if you knew this or not.

5. I would strongly recommend adding the pen names in the credits back in. It's like taking the creators of the game's signature and altering them. They wanted Pen names for a reason.

In the end my only complaints are the music and the magic and the credits. Other than these...this is a damn fine and almost perfect Zelda II. Now to play it Seven more times. Sincerely, you are a masterful code modder!

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #705 on: June 17, 2019, 04:04:23 pm »

Oh I didn't see this when I posted.
Let me get to each point:

1) There are many reasons why I chose the NES version of the FDS one. One is because I feel the NES version has a better use of instruments and overall sound volume for its tracks. Another (and perhaps the main reason) is because most of the hacking and documentation is already there for the NES version. FDS iirc is not as documented as the NES one, so it would require way more work to actually work over the FDS one. There are more, but I think those are mentioned in the starting pages of this thread. (Unique colour scheme for each palace, unique Game over screen, unique bosses in each palace, etc).

2) I recall someone mentioning that the FDS system was somewhat broke. I can't recall exactly, it's been years since all of this was settled, but it should be mentioned at the beginning.

3) Is magic really that much toned down to the point of making the game easier?
I remember even after all the changes, one of the last ones I did was retouch some of the magic consumption to be a little bit more on the hefty side. I don't think I mentioned it, but I did touch upon some to make them use more magic than what I had originally.

4) The change to the Great Palace was made due to annoyance factors (and some rooms being just empty)
The way the Great Palace is structured makes it so that ONLY ONE path will lead you to the correct entrance to the final boss, leaving the entirety of the rest of the Great Palace almost ignored by everyone. This adds replayability to the game in that area, and makes it so that you can get to the end no matter what path you choose, adding for a bit of variety for that section.
The Dark Link thing I am aware of, and as far as I know there is no way to fix it yet without modifying the map for that particular room. Unless someone finds a way to fix Dark Link's behaviour on the NES release, I don't think it might be added to this hack.

5) The "pen" names the devs chose was because of how the gaming industry worked back then I believe.
It was I think fear of the devs being too well known for other companies to try to hire them (or the company they were in fearing the employee would get persuaded to other company), or fear of bad reception for certain games. It has nothing to do easter eggs or in-jokes for the game, it was just something odd back then that pushed some devs to use pseudonyms instead of their real names.

kamikaze55

• View Profile
« Reply #706 on: June 18, 2019, 03:34:27 am »
I honestly can agree with most of your points. It's hard to argue with the guy who is responsible for the mod itself when he says it would be too difficult working between the FDS with the NES version like with the Music. I would say "Well push harder...you're nearly there mate" as far as being a close to perfect Zelda II but I can understand your points.

There was a point that I forgot to mention previously. What was the point of the "moving grass" in the Overworld? I can understand the moving water because the FDS version has moving water while the NES doesn't but moving grass?

As far as the final palace and the multiple route idea. I still don't understand. Instead of taking the one path I'm used to on the FDS and NES versions, on my last play through of your mod, I decided to go right directly after coming down the elevator at the beginning of the Palace. I ended up meeting a dead end. So how can I get to the end of the palace in that route if it's a dead end? You make it sound as if any route you take will lead to the end of the palace.

As far as the pen names vs. real names. Did you ask each of these people if it would be ok to change their names? I mean no disrespect by this...altering a game created by multiple people is one thing...especially since it's quite old now. Altering it for the better I might add. However, altering their names is another story entirely regardless of situations in the mid 80's. I could argue that if they wanted their names changed up to this point they would've done it with current version you can buy in the Nintendo store.

Regardless, this mod is the best mod I've ever seen for Zelda II.

Cyneprepou4uk

• Самый лысый ромхакер
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: June 18, 2019, 08:31:41 am »
I'll see what can be achieved with this, as I really want to get this done since it's the last thing remaining for a proper release.

I was bored at work, so I decided to write that code myself

Put this in 0x174B6
2020BE98482002B568A8A519C903F01F0AD003186901251AF015A5191879CDB4290385194CB2B401FF01FFFFFFFFFF

And this in 0x17E30
2026BE4C3DBEA002A6F58A2924D008888A2908D0058860E61960C61960A5192903851998F002A90485EB60
I am the baldest romhacker
NES Romhacking Guide

Mattiac

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: June 18, 2019, 10:08:31 am »
Thank you for your reply, ShadowOne333-san!

So expanding the ROM doesn't affect the CHR and make room
in the HUD?

The problem is also to enter the new characters in the table
for name registration because there doesn't seem to be any
room left after 0... Maybe create a new table somewhere else
and point to it?

Can I use your patch to get six lines of text? I would of
course credit you in my Readme-file.

Weird, I'm using FCEUX 2.2.3 on Windows and its working completely fine for me.
The RetroArch core also works fine.

Can you try with this patch?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t465z2zwi4w9x7f/Zelda2Redux.ips?dl=0

I tried creating a save in all three slots, loading them and going to the overworld, but all works fine for me.
I know IcePenguin struggled a bit to get some free tiles working for the new HUD, but you could look around at how the game loads its data banks, and see in the PPU viewer exactly what tiles are being used, and which aren't.
Perhaps you can make use of a couple that aren't being used and use those for the accented A and O.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Out of that, I've got a bit of news flash :P

I reached out to user @d-man from PK Hack (which has helped me a lot with things for MaternalBound Redux), since I know he knows 65816 assembly, and he helped me to get the Up/Down cursor movement for the Elimination Mode to an extend :)

This is the new code that has been implemented into Redux to make this work:

05:B4AA:4C 20 BE  JMP $BE20
 05:B4AD:EA        NOP
 05:B4AE:EA        NOP
 05:B4AF:EA        NOP
 05:B4B0:EA        NOP
 05:B4B1:EA        NOP
 05:B4B2:EA        NOP
 05:B4B3:EA        NOP
 05:B4B4:EA        NOP
 05:B4B5:EA        NOP
 05:B4B6:EA        NOP
 05:B4B7:EA        NOP
 05:B4B8:EA        NOP
 05:B4B9:EA        NOP
 05:B4BA:EA        NOP
 05:B4BB:EA        NOP
 05:B4BC:20 02 B5  JSR $B502

At $BE20 (or 0x17BE30 in PC address with a Hex editor), I wrote a new routine, which d-man made the most work for:

05:BE20:F0 10     BEQ $BE32
 05:BE22:A9 04     LDA #$04
 05:BE24:85 EB     STA $00EB = #$00
 05:BE26:E6 19     INC $0019 = #$00
 05:BE28:A5 19     LDA $0019 = #$00
 05:BE2A:C9 04     CMP #$04
 05:BE2C:D0 1A     BNE $BE48
 05:BE2E:A9 00     LDA #$00
 05:BE30:85 19     STA $0019 = #$00
 05:BE32:A5 F5     LDA $00F5 = #$00
 05:BE34:29 08     AND #$08
 05:BE36:F0 10     BEQ $BE48
 05:BE38:A9 04     LDA #$04
 05:BE3A:85 EB     STA $00EB = #$00
 05:BE3C:C6 19     DEC $0019 = #$00
 05:BE3E:A5 19     LDA $0019 = #$00
 05:BE40:C9 FF     CMP #$FF
 05:BE42:D0 04     BNE $BE48
 05:BE44:A9 03     LDA #$03
 05:BE46:85 19     STA $0019 = #$00
 05:BE48:4C BC B4  JMP $B4BC

So what does this new code do?
Well, it makes it so that the Up/Down buttons now move the cursor (as well as Select).
Pressing Up moves the cursor up, Down/Select move the cursor down.

However, there's one drawback from this.

Pressing Down works just fine between save slots.
However, if there's one save slot that it's not used, pressing Up will not move the cursor to the next available save slot in Elimination mode.

I'm guessing this has something to do with what IcePenguin said some pages back:
https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=26001.msg370703#msg370703

It might have to do with the different "cursor combinations" that he mentions in that post.
Also, if I'm correct, I believe the label LB4CB at 0x174db up to 0x174e2 might have something to do with this.

mariosmentor

• View Profile
« Reply #709 on: June 18, 2019, 02:09:55 pm »
As far as the pen names vs. real names. Did you ask each of these people if it would be ok to change their names? I mean no disrespect by this...altering a game created by multiple people is one thing...especially since it's quite old now. Altering it for the better I might add. However, altering their names is another story entirely regardless of situations in the mid 80's. I could argue that if they wanted their names changed up to this point they would've done it with current version you can buy in the Nintendo store.

Personally, I think the reason Nintendo hasn't changed the names in later releases is due to either technical issues, or there being no real need for the change. After all, it's common knowledge nowadays that Shigeru Miyamoto was the director of Super Mario Bros, or that Koji Kondo composed the music for Zelda 1. Granted, I can't speak for any of the developers behind the game, but if I had to use a pen name for a game I helped make 30 years ago due to an industry standard that no longer exists nowadays, I don't think I would care much if some hacker changed my pen name to my actual name, something that a quick Google search would reveal anyway.

Shade Aurion

• Submission Reviewer
  • Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #710 on: June 18, 2019, 04:08:24 pm »

This one works with the exact same rom file =/ I have no idea man but thanks, I got it working now. I'll load up the optional patches too. Not sure when i'll do another playthrough but this will be the next Zelda game I do for sure. I can't not when there is literally a HUGE list of notable changes. In fact once the final version is out, it might be worth making an achievement set via retroachievements as it is linked directly through retroarch ;)

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #711 on: June 18, 2019, 05:59:16 pm »
I honestly can agree with most of your points. It's hard to argue with the guy who is responsible for the mod itself when he says it would be too difficult working between the FDS with the NES version like with the Music. I would say "Well push harder...you're nearly there mate" as far as being a close to perfect Zelda II but I can understand your points.

There was a point that I forgot to mention previously. What was the point of the "moving grass" in the Overworld? I can understand the moving water because the FDS version has moving water while the NES doesn't but moving grass?

As far as the final palace and the multiple route idea. I still don't understand. Instead of taking the one path I'm used to on the FDS and NES versions, on my last play through of your mod, I decided to go right directly after coming down the elevator at the beginning of the Palace. I ended up meeting a dead end. So how can I get to the end of the palace in that route if it's a dead end? You make it sound as if any route you take will lead to the end of the palace.

Regardless, this mod is the best mod I've ever seen for Zelda II.

The moving grass was included to add more of a flare to the original game and not make it look so bland in terms of overall design. With the new method of adding overworld animations, anything in the OW can be animated, so I decided to give the grass, water and lava proper animations to make the world more alive, and not as bland and plain as in the original Zelda 2.

As for the names...
I really don't think anyone that worked originally on the game would care at this point to be honest. I highly doubt they are even around anymore or that they wouldn't want their names to be public, as it's not like the real names of the devs are not public already, they are listed on hundreds of sites, and besides, I really doubt that if I were to ask them, that I would get a response out of them at all.
I mean, come on, asking Shigeru Miyamoto if it's okay for me to add his name in a hack of Zelda 2 I'm making? :P
Sounds a little too far-fetched.
The full names for the credits gives the game a much more polished tone overall, and makes it seem like a proper product instead of something that sounds like a Pokemon romhack with pseudonyms in it xD

Pretty much what @mariosmentor mentioned in his response as well.

I was bored at work, so I decided to write that code myself

Put this in 0x174B6
2020BE98482002B568A8A519C903F01F0AD003186901251AF015A5191879CDB4290385194CB2B401FF01FFFFFFFFFF

And this in 0x17E30
2026BE4C3DBEA002A6F58A2924D008888A2908D0058860E61960C61960A5192903851998F002A90485EB60

Oh dude that's really interesting!
I'll test it out tomorrow for sure and see how well it handles, thanks a lot! :D

Thank you for your reply, ShadowOne333-san!

So expanding the ROM doesn't affect the CHR and make room
in the HUD?

The problem is also to enter the new characters in the table
for name registration because there doesn't seem to be any
room left after 0... Maybe create a new table somewhere else
and point to it?

Can I use your patch to get six lines of text? I would of
course credit you in my Readme-file.

Expanding the ROM won't work. Or at least not that I know.
The thing is that there are only a certain amount of tiles/data that is loaded up at once, and there are a lot of portions in the game where the data banks are changed, although they share almost the same tiles for the letters and numbers.
Your best bet here would be to test out in-game which tiles are being used at all times, and which aren't.
If you find any that is not being used, then you can use those tiles to make new letters.

This one works with the exact same rom file =/ I have no idea man but thanks, I got it working now. I'll load up the optional patches too. Not sure when i'll do another playthrough but this will be the next Zelda game I do for sure. I can't not when there is literally a HUGE list of notable changes. In fact once the final version is out, it might be worth making an achievement set via retroachievements as it is linked directly through retroarch ;)

So the patch I posted worked just fine?
No issues at all now?

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #712 on: June 19, 2019, 12:35:50 am »
No issues at all now?
Just tried it. No issues.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #713 on: June 19, 2019, 10:19:49 am »
Just tried it. No issues.

Great!
Thanks for letting me know.
The newest fixed patch should now be in the OP :)

Shade Aurion

• Submission Reviewer
  • Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #714 on: June 19, 2019, 03:29:25 pm »
No issues at all now?

Yeah dude! It works fine now. I have no idea what the deal was. Other versions of the beta worked fine, just that last one said no I guess lol
I actually love it and might start that playthrough in a week or two. I'm getting kinda hyped just messing around in the starting area noticing all the changes <3

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #715 on: June 19, 2019, 04:50:13 pm »
Glad to know it's working fine now :)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 06:21:02 pm by ShadowOne333 »

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #716 on: June 20, 2019, 12:27:42 am »
Great!
Thanks for letting me know.
The newest fixed patch should now be in the OP :)
YW. I normally use Nestopia but I had FCEUX 2.2.2 installed so it was no bother.

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: June 20, 2019, 05:21:36 pm »
I have a question.

Do you have enough room in the banks to create a new event, which makes the Master Sword accessable?

I would love to see the sword of evil's bane to become part of the game.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #718 on: June 21, 2019, 10:16:59 am »
Quick update.
I got feedback regarding the OriginalLinkDolls.ips optional patch, it turns out that using this patch crashed the game whenever you obtained a Link Doll.

Took a look at it, and found out I made a slight mistake in which I restored the original code of the Link Doll just one byte after the supposed addressed.
Went ahead and fixed the issue with it, and reuploaded the optional patch so it should now work without problems. :)

I also updated the main Redux patch to change "Elimination Mode" to "Erase Save File"
Enjoy!

I have a question.

Do you have enough room in the banks to create a new event, which makes the Master Sword accessable?

I would love to see the sword of evil's bane to become part of the game.
Wouldn't having the Master Sword in there be, more or less, pointless?
Zelda 2 is one of the few Zelda games where you don't obtain any sword upgrades, and with fair reason.

The main reason why Link gets the Master Sword in many of the games is to fight against Ganon/Ganondorf (hence why it's called the Sword of Evil's Bane). The Master Sword is used only to fight back against him most of the time.
In Zelda 2, there is no Ganon/Ganondorf to fight, not even a main antagonist at that, only the Thunderbird and Dark Link, but those are credited more to some sort of tests to be worthy of the Triforce of Courage, which Link is after to revive Zelda and prevent the resurrection of Ganon.

Adding the Master Sword into the game would indeed require some heavy hacking, adding the sprites for the Sword, the coding for obtaining it, item placement, event, etc.
Don't want to sound harsh or anything, it's possible for sure, but I think doing that would greatly fall out of the scope of what this hack is focusing on, which is to make Zelda 2 an overall better experience.

Shade Aurion

• Submission Reviewer
  • Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #719 on: June 21, 2019, 03:04:18 pm »
It might be worth linking the optional patches in the OP ;)