News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Poll

What should the new name for the "Spell" spell be?

Reveal
5 (21.7%)
Unveil
4 (17.4%)
Enigma
9 (39.1%)
Expose
5 (21.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Zelda II Redux  (Read 96390 times)

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
Re: Zelda II Redux
« Reply #680 on: March 25, 2019, 04:03:58 pm »
Oh the idea about the Great Palace having multiple paths is quite nice!
I kinda like it, and makes it bumping into the very end of the Great Palace only to know that you chose the wrong path quite a nice change.

I like it, and certainly helps a lot with the maze that the Great Palace is already.
Made the change, updated the patch in the OP :)

IcePenguin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: March 25, 2019, 05:00:57 pm »
Seems like it'll be a good change, especially for newcomers!  In all my times playing this, that side of the Great Palace always intrigued me.  I used to think it was for hiding some super awesome secret. (like the red ring from Zelda 1)  There are about 6 unused rooms in Great Palace, so maybe that could be included as bonus content - like how Nintendo adds bonus content in their remasters, remakes, etc.

At some point in this topic, I think someone mentioned fighting the bosses from each palace somewhere in the Great Palace.  That would be pretty cool.

Anyway, I forgot to point out another suggestion for Great Palace.  The room before the Thunderbird Boss room has 2 red potions in it.  In my opinion, this is a bit too much, so perhaps one of those red potions could be a giant bot?  There aren't enough of those enemies, and the more the better, haha!  Plus, they are fun to fight!  :P

0x149CE, change 77 45 to 17 DE.

This will change one of the red potions into a giant bot and place it in the same position as the giant bot from the room that is similar to this one.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #682 on: March 25, 2019, 06:37:37 pm »
Oh nice!
Yeah I know what room you are talking about, that one felt curiously empty for some reason.
I was also expecting a King Bot to appear there, but nothing.
Added that code, wouldn't hurt at all to be honest :P

Zanemato

• View Profile
« Reply #683 on: March 29, 2019, 04:17:43 am »
I tried the new patch, the work is amazing

Is it normal that, when I save and quit in the 1st palace (as soon as I arrive to the palace), it takes me back to Hyrule Castle with the music of the palace looping?

I don't know if this bug is known or not

I hope it's gonna be fixed later somehow

Thanks again for this amazing work !

IcePenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #684 on: March 29, 2019, 07:59:56 am »
Is it normal that, when I save and quit in the 1st palace (as soon as I arrive to the palace), it takes me back to Hyrule Castle with the music of the palace looping?

Thanks for pointing that out!  The code was set up to allow songs to be played from any region, but since this isn't really necessary in Redux, it can be removed.  I should've taken this into consideration... sorry about that!  The reason you experience this bug is because the new byte in memory $702 didn't get reset to 00 when you save and quit.

ShadowOne, to fix this, change this:

At 0x19B91, change 02 to 07.

The new code was set up to use $702 for the world location copy, but it will probably never be used, so it can remain as the default $707.  If in the future we need to use $702 for the world location copy, then we'd have to reset it with new code when you save and quit.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #685 on: March 29, 2019, 11:32:14 am »
Oh I didn't notice that before.
Thanks for the quick fix and feedback!
Just fixed it, the updated patch should be in the OP as always. :)

If anyone else finds something out of place, please let us know!

Zanemato

• View Profile
« Reply #686 on: March 29, 2019, 12:12:16 pm »
Thanks for pointing that out!  The code was set up to allow songs to be played from any region, but since this isn't really necessary in Redux, it can be removed.  I should've taken this into consideration... sorry about that!  The reason you experience this bug is because the new byte in memory $702 didn't get reset to 00 when you save and quit.

ShadowOne, to fix this, change this:

At 0x19B91, change 02 to 07.

The new code was set up to use $702 for the world location copy, but it will probably never be used, so it can remain as the default $707.  If in the future we need to use $702 for the world location copy, then we'd have to reset it with new code when you save and quit.

Oh, my pleasure. If I find anything else, I'll report it. I'll restart the game with the updated patch and play as much as I can until the end of the game. I'll give my feedback as soon as possible.

Take care everyone !

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #687 on: April 02, 2019, 04:36:06 pm »
I should really start a playthrough of my own with the current beta :laugh:
I am assuming everyone else has found zero issues so far with the current beta, so it seems to be worth a full playthrough :)
If all goes well, only DarkSamus' menu hack remains to mark this hack as completed, and up with its proper Hack page!

IAmCaptPlanet

• View Profile
« Reply #688 on: April 02, 2019, 09:05:54 pm »
what exactly is this "menu hack" that has yet to be finished? sorry if i skimmed over a post explaining it. thanks

---edit---

just saw this on page 1

"Make it so Up/Down on the D-Pad moves the fairy cursor in the menus accordingly (File Selection and Elimination Mode). DarkSamus993 is currently working on this."

so (if i am right) all this does is make up and down move the selector (which normally only scrolls in one direction with "select" button)

that's not really that big of a deal really, i am just dying waiting to play around with those "optional" extra patches.
like, we need to be testing those buggers out, lol.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 10:06:57 pm by IAmCaptPlanet »

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #689 on: April 03, 2019, 12:48:13 pm »
what exactly is this "menu hack" that has yet to be finished? sorry if i skimmed over a post explaining it. thanks

---edit---

just saw this on page 1

"Make it so Up/Down on the D-Pad moves the fairy cursor in the menus accordingly (File Selection and Elimination Mode). DarkSamus993 is currently working on this."

so (if i am right) all this does is make up and down move the selector (which normally only scrolls in one direction with "select" button)

that's not really that big of a deal really, i am just dying waiting to play around with those "optional" extra patches.
like, we need to be testing those buggers out, lol.

Well aside from moving the cursor with Up/Down, I believe DarkSamus993 also wanted to implement some sort of Copy/Delete file system.
We can already delete a file, but I think he wanted to implement a copy system too.
From what we have so far, the only remaining is Up/Down in the Elimination mode, and the Copy system (if DarkSamus wants to go with it).
I'm fine with only the Elimination mode having Up/Down implemented, but if he wants to add the Copy save file system, that'd be neat too :)

Also, if you want to test the optional patches out, I already posted them some pages ago:

As far as I know, they shouldn't overwrite other data.
Still though, it would be nice to check beforehand, you can get them all here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/d2iyb368nt409x8/AACaS0GW4RT0S3bMZ8LXUJ25a?dl=0

Do you have a way to check if they conflict between each other and/or with Redux?

As for the list of the Optional Patches and what they do, here:
  • FDSKingsTomb.ips
    This patch restores the layout of the King's Tomb screen to resemble that of the Famicom release of Zelda II.
  • KeepExpAtGameOver.ips
    Like its name says, this patch will make it so that even if you get a Game Over, you will keep the Exp you gained.
  • NewExp.ips
    A completely revamped Exp system courtesy of IcePenguin! This system makes it so that you will no longer get the Level Up window prompt once you reach the required Exp for a new level. Instead, Experience points will now accumulate, and once you want to Level Up a certain ability, press Up+Start will automatically bring up the Level Up menu, even if you don't have enough Exp for a level up. In that case, the only available option will be "Cancel".
  • OriginalLinkDolls.ips
    As the name implies, this restores the functionality of the Zelda II Link dolls to be the same as in the original Zelda II.
  • RestartSameAtScreenGameOver.ips
    This patch makes it so that when you get a Game Over, you restart in the same screen that you died on, instead of being brought back to the beginning of the current palace or Zelda's Palace in the case of the overworld.
  • StaticExpAtPalaceCrystal.ips
    At the end of each palace, where you put the crystal into it, you used to get an undefined amount of Exp, until you leveled up. With this patch, each crystal put into a palace gives you a determined amount of Exp:
    Palace 1 = 500 exp
    Palace 2 = 1000 exp
    Palace 3 = 1500 exp
    Palace 4 = 2000 exp
    Palace 5 = 2500 exp
    Palace 6 = 3000 exp
  • Secret.ips
    ???

Let me know if I missed one detail in one of them or something so I can add it to their description!

IAmCaptPlanet

• View Profile
« Reply #690 on: April 03, 2019, 04:52:51 pm »
i'm crazy, i thought that was a description only, didn't realize it was a link

:banghead:

lol, so now i have my 5 patches patched and i'm playing great, and from time to time my Exp shoots right up to 9999 when i enter a new screen, is that the "secret" patch?

if not, maybe i patched them in the wrong order, or they are conflicting in some way,

anyways, i LOVE the "new experience" patch so much, with it not constantly popping up on the player, it's so much more freeing

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #691 on: April 03, 2019, 05:00:34 pm »
Nope that's not the Secret :P
The Experience shooting up to 9999 at times might be a bug.
Also, as far as I know none of the optional patches should collide, neither with each other nor with Redux, so I know that's not the problem.
Maybe it's a bug with the Experience code or something.

IcePenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #692 on: April 03, 2019, 06:26:22 pm »
from time to time my Exp shoots right up to 9999 when i enter a new screen...

Maybe it's a bug with the Experience code or something.

Ah, sorry about that.  It's not a bug with the exp code, but instead I accidentally overlapped the music code with the exp code in the optional patch, ha ha.   :-[  Both are working fine, I just forgot that the space was already used.  Most of the hacks were done in a clean rom, and it's easy to forget where code is.

All you have to do is move the code for the music.

At 0x28D0, paste this code:

Spoiler:
FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF AD 07 07 8D 02 07 A9 02 85 EB 60 FF FF FF FF FF AE 07 07 E0 00 D0 07 AE 06 07 E0 02 F0 04 8D 5F 07 60 A9 08 8D 5F 07 60

This is just moving the music code down by 0x30 bytes, so it doesn't overlap with the exp code from the optional patch.

Next, update the two JSR that use the music code.

At 0x8A1, replace 20 C0 A8 with 20 F0 A8.

At 0x1C446, replace 20 D0 A8 with 20 00 A9.

Again, sorry about the oversight!

SpringSonic9187

• View Profile
« Reply #693 on: April 03, 2019, 06:41:53 pm »
Ah, sorry about that.  It's not a bug with the exp code, but instead I accidentally overlapped the music code with the exp code in the optional patch, ha ha.   :-[  Both are working fine, I just forgot that the space was already used.  Most of the hacks were done in a clean rom, and it's easy to forget where code is.

Spoiler:
FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF AD 07 07 8D 02 07 A9 02 85 EB 60 FF FF FF FF FF AE 07 07 E0 00 D0 07 AE 06 07 E0 02 F0 04 8D 5F 07 60 A9 08 8D 5F 07 60

This is just moving the music code down by 0x30 bytes, so it doesn't overlap with the exp code from the optional patch.

At least I uploaded a private, non-shared save file of mine on my Google Drive, just for fun. All 3 levels at max, no other progress made, everything else untouched, used the one with the overlapped code for that. I'm not sharing the link because I'm kinda scared.

IAmCaptPlanet

• View Profile
« Reply #694 on: April 03, 2019, 06:49:17 pm »
ok, cool. came here to report west Hyrule overworld music also glitching out/disappearing. 

so it was an issue with the Exp patch. lol yeah i have a rom with maxxed stats too, for a "hyper easy" mode i guess.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #695 on: April 04, 2019, 10:43:54 am »

Spoiler:

Ah so it was an overlap between the two hacks.
Makes sense, since I remember we did the check for all patches before the music patch was introduced.

Thanks for the fix!
It's already implemented, and the updated patch is in the OP now :)

Lazermutt4

• View Profile
« Reply #696 on: April 04, 2019, 02:35:23 pm »
I encountered a problem with one of the extra patches. The "keep EXP at Game Over" patch will not allow you to save, either manually or at Game Over.

The results were slightly different depending on the emulator (none of them all that good):
Best case was QuickNES, where selecting Save did nothing. You could then choose to continue.
Most others, like FCEUX, it hung there forever.
Worst case, on the NES Classic, it threw up a C6 error and wiped my saves.

Picking Continue first works like it should.