News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Poll

What should the new name for the "Spell" spell be?

Reveal
5 (21.7%)
Unveil
4 (17.4%)
Enigma
9 (39.1%)
Expose
5 (21.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Zelda II Redux  (Read 96205 times)

IcePenguin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
Re: Zelda II Redux
« Reply #580 on: February 27, 2019, 03:17:21 pm »
Wow, 7 optional patches?  That's a lot, ha ha.  Well, people love more options, so that's good!  :P  What are all those patches?  I can only think of 1 or 2 I helped with.  Might be good to list them all so people know what the hack offers.

Also, are all the optional patches compatible?  They don't conflict or overwrite any other data?

I just grabbed the latest version and will do some more play testing!

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #581 on: February 27, 2019, 03:43:55 pm »
Wow, 7 optional patches?  That's a lot, ha ha.  Well, people love more options, so that's good!  :P  What are all those patches?  I can only think of 1 or 2 I helped with.  Might be good to list them all so people know what the hack offers.

Also, are all the optional patches compatible?  They don't conflict or overwrite any other data?

As far as I know, they shouldn't overwrite other data.
Still though, it would be nice to check beforehand, you can get them all here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/d2iyb368nt409x8/AACaS0GW4RT0S3bMZ8LXUJ25a?dl=0

Do you have a way to check if they conflict between each other and/or with Redux?

As for the list of the Optional Patches and what they do, here:
  • FDSKingsTomb.ips
    This patch restores the layout of the King's Tomb screen to resemble that of the Famicom release of Zelda II.
  • KeepExpAtGameOver.ips
    Like its name says, this patch will make it so that even if you get a Game Over, you will keep the Exp you gained.
  • NewExp.ips
    A completely revamped Exp system courtesy of IcePenguin! This system makes it so that you will no longer get the Level Up window prompt once you reach the required Exp for a new level. Instead, Experience points will now accumulate, and once you want to Level Up a certain ability, press Up+Start will automatically bring up the Level Up menu, even if you don't have enough Exp for a level up. In that case, the only available option will be "Cancel".
  • OriginalLinkDolls.ips
    As the name implies, this restores the functionality of the Zelda II Link dolls to be the same as in the original Zelda II.
  • RestartSameAtScreenGameOver.ips
    This patch makes it so that when you get a Game Over, you restart in the same screen that you died on, instead of being brought back to the beginning of the current palace or Zelda's Palace in the case of the overworld.
  • StaticExpAtPalaceCrystal.ips
    At the end of each palace, where you put the crystal into it, you used to get an undefined amount of Exp, until you leveled up. With this patch, each crystal put into a palace gives you a determined amount of Exp:
    Palace 1 = 500 exp
    Palace 2 = 1000 exp
    Palace 3 = 1500 exp
    Palace 4 = 2000 exp
    Palace 5 = 2500 exp
    Palace 6 = 3000 exp
  • Secret.ips
    ???

Let me know if I missed one detail in one of them or something so I can add it to their description!

IcePenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #582 on: February 27, 2019, 05:11:04 pm »
You can try the "Patch Checker" utility.  It will find if there is any overlap between patches.

https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1080/

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #583 on: February 27, 2019, 05:31:46 pm »
You can try the "Patch Checker" utility.  It will find if there is any overlap between patches.

https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1080/
Well I did check them all separately against Redux, and also compared them between each other, they all seemed to give 100% compatibility between each other in my tests, so they should be good.
If someone wants to double check, be my guest :P

IcePenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #584 on: February 27, 2019, 05:38:58 pm »
I was about to edit this into my previous post, then you posted!

The "RestartSameAtScreenGameOver.ips" patch also includes the "KeepExpAtGameOver.ips" patch.  I suppose that could be mentioned in the description.  They both save your Exp upon game over, but this was intended in the original hack.  :P

One thing you should test:  Apply the restart at same screen hack, and see if njosro's restart in palace hack still works.  Those 2 hacks might have some conflicts.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #585 on: February 27, 2019, 05:44:56 pm »
I was about to edit this into my previous post, then you posted!

The "RestartSameAtScreenGameOver.ips" patch also includes the "KeepExpAtGameOver.ips" patch.  I suppose that could be mentioned in the description.  They both save your Exp upon game over, but this was intended in the original hack.  :P

Ah good to know, I will add that to the ReadMe of the hack. Thanks!

One thing you should test:  Apply the restart at same screen hack, and see if njosro's restart in palace hack still works.  Those 2 hacks might have some conflicts.

I think the Redux hack already has njosro's restart at palace hack included, so if it were to collide with it, it would have said something about incompatibility, but I got 100% compatibility between all of them I think.
Would you please double check just to be sure?
I am already out of work to test it myself :/

IcePenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #586 on: February 27, 2019, 05:49:28 pm »
Sure, I'll test it.  Also, something you could add to the description of the "StaticExpAtPalaceCrystal.ips" patch is that it's to prevent wasting Exp by placing the crystal.  That was the main issue some people had with the crystals is wasting a ton of Exp.   Say you had 6000/9000 exp, then you placed a crystal, that 6000 essentially went to waste.

I'll report after I test njosro's restart hack with mine.  :)

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #587 on: February 27, 2019, 05:51:29 pm »
Thank you, Ice Penguin :)
It's appreciated.

I am working right now on making the "ReadMe.txt" file that will go alongside Zelda II Redux, this is what I have so far.
If I'm missing anything (specially in contributions), please let me know to add it!

Quote from: Zelda II Redux ReadMe
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            ZELDA 2 REDUX
            by ShadowOne333
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you always tried to play through Zelda II and finding out it was either excruciatingly difficulty, unbalanced, too tough or perhaps found that it just has so many quirks that doesn't make the game enjoyable?

This hack tries to address that by rebalancing the game, making some QoL changes and also some visual flare into the game, without compromising the original game's design. Be sure to check the full Changelog inside the ReadMe.txt file for the full list of changes made to this hack, and also don't forget to check the optional patches too!

Want to see the full development of the hack?
Follow it on the Romhacking.net thread:
https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=26001.msg353908#msg353908

COLLABORATORS

* Trax - For his amazing disassembly of Zelda 2 which helped with a ton of stuff, and also for a lot of feedback and help in the development of this hack.
* njosro - For his Zelda 2 editor and help towards some hacks for Redux, like the Restart in Palace hack and also the restoration of the Erdrick line.
* IcePenguin - For his incredible and consistent help with a lot of ASM hacks and other nifty stuff. He also helped with a bunch of the Optional patches.
* DarkSamus993 - For his ASM dark magic regarding the Menus revamp for Redux.
* All other users that gave their feedback on possible ways to improve the game over the thread, and those that gave insightful ideas.

CHANGELOG

* Changes to the Life Meter HUD: Should have hearts now instead of the old bars it had for a life meter
* Reworked HUD to be more in-line with other Zelda titles. It also looks much better to the eye now and is more streamlined
* Added 1/4 heart gauge by IcePenguin. Now the life meter is reduced by 1/4 parts instead of the original sliding bar, effectively letting you know exactly how much health (no longer will the meter show no life with Link still alive)
* Reworked title screen. Now the Sword in it is the same as the one in the original boxart, and also the scrolling text of the title screen has been entirely rewritten to be more in-line with the canon story of Zelda II
* Manual Save Feature: You can now save the game by Pausing and then pressing Up+A on the Pause screen (both in side-scroll pause and overworld pause!)
* Manual saves no longer count towards the Death counter in the Selection screen! Now only Game Overs should increment that counter
* Implemented @njosro's Restart in Current Palace patch (as a bonus) :P
* Link now has a Blue and Red tunic! Upon using the Shield spell with a Defense level between 1-4, you'll get the Blue tunic. Once you get up to level 5-8 of Defense, you will get the Red tunic
* Text boxes now print 6 lines, giving much more space for more and detailed text
* All text has been repointed
* Script has been rewritten entirely and revised with a more proper translation according to the Japanese text
* Enemies no longer steal experience from you. (Don't confuse this with Magic, some still steal magic)
* Reduced the amount of HP the Bubble (and Giant Bubble) enemies have, as well as their Exp. Should now go down with like 10 Sword swings instead of a damn million (having FF in their lives was really something stupid for such a meaningless enemy), and they have also been made non-respawnable to avoid abusing grinding of these enemies, since their low EXP could still be abused.
* Reduced the amount of magic consumption by half for all levels
* More common enemy drops
* All enemies give out Exp
* Enemies rebalanced according to their strength and annoyance factor (Those Modafokkas are no joke)
* Dragon Quest reference restored in the crosses of Saria Town (Erdrick lies here)
* Link's sprite has been edited slightly to better reflect his official artwork, without compromising his original design
* Overworld tile animation (includes water animation, grass, River Devil and others)
* "Spell" and "Life" spells renamed to "Enigma" and "Heal" spells respectively
* Reworked Pause Pane for the Spell menu and also for the Level Up Menu
* Changed the speed and range of the beam/fireball. Now it should have more use in-game, rather than being a slow and rather unused feature
* You can now cast whatever spell you have selected multiple times without having to open up the Spell menu everytime between screens
* Pausing the game on the Overworld now gives a "PAUSE!" message right above Link, like in the GBA port.
* Picking up a Link Doll now adds a life to the total amount of lives you start the game with (restart), making the Link Dolls more useful instead of just having its benefits present until you hit a game over.
* Life counter caps at 9, but you can still gather more lives via the 9000 Exp method, the counter simply won't go past 9.
* Changed the font size to better accommodate the new changes
* Changed the "-" in the file select alphabet to "/"
* Cursor in the "Register Your Name" screen no longer covers portion of the text box
* D-Pad Up and Down now control the cursor in the File Selection and Elimination mode menus
* Modified the flashes when Link dies and when you learn a spell to be closer to the NGC version (Epilepsy free!)
* Rewritten Credits for all the Staff members, now you have the proper names of the developers that made Zelda II, instead of pseudonyms

OPTIONAL PATCHES

* FDSKingsTomb.ips          - This patch restores the layout of the King's Tomb screen to resemble that of the Famicom release of Zelda II.

* KeepExpAtGameOver.ips         - Like its name says, this patch will make it so that even if you get a Game Over, you will keep the Exp you gained.

* NewExp.ips             - A completely revamped Exp system courtesy of IcePenguin! This system makes it so that you will no longer get the Level Up window prompt once you reach the required Exp for a new level. Instead, Experience points will now accumulate, and once you want to Level Up a certain ability, pressing Up+Start will automatically bring up the Level Up menu, even if you don't have enough Exp for a level up. In that case, the only available option will be "Cancel".

* OriginalLinkDolls.ips         - As the name implies, this restores the functionality of the Zelda II Link dolls to be the same as in the original Zelda II, meaning they won't be permanent lives anymore.

* RestartSameAtScreenGameOver.ips   - This patch makes it so that when you get a Game Over, you restart in the same screen that you died on, instead of being brought back to the beginning of the current palace or Zelda's Palace in the case of the overworld.
This patch already includes the "KeepExpAtGameOver.ips" hack into it.

* StaticExpAtPalaceCrystal.ips      - At the end of each palace, where you put the crystal into it, you used to get an undefined amount of Exp, until you leveled up. This patch was made to prevent wasting Exp by placing the crystal, now each crystal put into a palace gives you a determined amount of Exp:
Palace 1 = 500 exp
Palace 2 = 1000 exp
Palace 3 = 1500 exp
Palace 4 = 2000 exp
Palace 5 = 2500 exp
Palace 6 = 3000 exp

* Secret.ips            - ???

IcePenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #588 on: February 27, 2019, 06:05:47 pm »
I'll report after I test njosro's restart hack with mine.  :)

Just tested it, and it works fine.   :thumbsup: 

Nice ReadMe!  Clean and easy to follow.  For a readme, there is nothing worse than opening it, and discover that it has no format to it - no line breaks, massive paragraphs, etc.  So great job!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 06:36:49 pm by IcePenguin »

AdamDravian

• View Profile
« Reply #589 on: February 27, 2019, 06:48:47 pm »
I am working right now on making the "ReadMe.txt" file that will go alongside Zelda II Redux, this is what I have so far.
If I'm missing anything (specially in contributions), please let me know to add it!

Perhaps alter the description of the sword on the title screen to specify that it now looks like the sword on the original US box art. When I read "original" box art I assume you're talking about the FDS release.
Writer of the '80s-themed webcomic Satan Ninja 198X

IcePenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #590 on: February 27, 2019, 08:19:59 pm »
Doing another play through, testing things, and possibly finding stuff to improve.

I have some criticism toward the new dialog.  While this isn't a big issue, it just seems weird to me some of the new lines of dialog.  Given that you re-pointed text for more room, have extra lines, etc., it would seem natural to improve on the game's original lines by writing more coherent sentences - while staying true to its original meaning.  There are many times where I think the original text would've been better, or the attempt for improvement was a bit lacking.  A couple of examples are when learning the Jump spell and Fire spells.

Redux:
"GO AND LEARN THE JUMP MAGIC."

Original:
"WITH THIS YOU CAN JUMP VERY HIGH."

or

Redux:
"MAKE YOUR SWORD SHOOT FIRE."

Original:
"THIS MAGIC WILL MAKE YOUR SWORD SHOOT FIRE."

Also, this may seem kinda nit-picky, but I think you should take into consideration how dialog is printed within the text box.  Having uneven spacing, or sacrificing punctuation to fit words in a limited space, doesn't feel polished.  Anyway, I think a lot of the dialog could still use some work.  ;)

February 28, 2019, 12:17:53 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

Here is another QoL hack.  :)

This one makes Saria Bridge automatically draw when you enter the screen.  No more need to always talk to the guards.  You still need to talk to the guard at least once, though!

Now, to get this hack to work properly, I had to add a bridge to the left side of the map.  This may determine if you use this or not, but I'll explain why it was needed.

Since the guard's bridge can now draw from much farther away, due to its new automatic nature, it would also draw a copy of the bridge at the location of the new bridge.  (this is because of Link's X-position when entering from the left)  This is not a bug in this hack, it's just the way this bridge works.  Even trying to move the bridge in the vanilla game will produce similar results.

Here is an image of the bridge I added.  It's the same size and position as the guard's bridge, but located in page 01 instead of page 03.  Then I moved the bushes over to the right a little bit.  Just so you know, the new bridge is a normal bridge like any other.  It doesn't move.

Image:

Next, here is the code:

At 0x17B4, paste this code:  20 90 AC  (this location is for Redux, anyone else wanting to implement this for their hack will have to find another location to insert this code.

At 0x2836, replace 8D 96 07 with:

20 00 AD

At 0x2CA0, paste this code:

Spoiler:
A9 00 CD 96 07 F0 39 A9 02 CD 96 07 F0 32 A9 04 CD 96 07 F0 2B A9 06 CD 96 07 F0 24 A9 10 CD 96 07 F0 1D A9 12 CD 96 07 F0 16 A9 14 CD 96 07 F0 0F A9 16 CD 96 07 F0 08 60 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF A9 01 CD 9D 07 D0 25 A9 06 CD 61 05 D0 1E A9 00 CD 44 07 D0 03 EE 96 07 A9 02 CD 44 07 D0 03 EE 96 07 A9 01 CD 44 07 D0 03 EE 96 07 60

At 0x2D10, paste this code:  8D 96 07 A9 01 8D 9D 07 60

At 0xCA8C, replace F8 15 E2 00 6C 22 with:

F4 67 FF 15 6D 22

This bit of code here is the level data.  F8 15 is the bushes.  E2 00 is the skip.  6C 22 is the roof on the left guard house.  For the new data, F4 67 is the new bridge, FF 15 is the same bushes, but moved to the right, etc.  Technically, no objects were added to the scene, just repurposed the "skip" object.

Finally, at 0x1C206, replace 90 with 30.

Here is a quick explanation on how Saria Bridge works.  When you have the letter, and talk to the guard, a bit is set at RAM address $796.  This is also used by the down stab and up stab.  After the bridge draws, the bit set by the guard is cleared, making it so you have to talk to the guard every time.  Unfortunately, it wasn't as simple as keeping this bit set, so I came up with an alternate solution.

Here is how this hack works.  After the bridge draws, the bit at $796 is cleared, like normal, but now it also stores 01 into a new unused address in RAM at $79D.  With this new variable and the right conditions, the game knows to set the bit to draw the bridge as soon as you enter this screen.  A few conditions had to be put into place for this to work, otherwise the bit wouldn't set automatically.

I hope you like it!  :)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 02:20:17 pm by IcePenguin »

Trax

• View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
« Reply #591 on: February 28, 2019, 01:17:52 am »
Wow, just looking at the list posted by ShadowOne, it really feels like a lot of work has been done. Many details that add up nicely. We've come a long way, my friends.

By the way, for your information, the PPU Macro [21 CD 45 F4 FF] contains a repeater byte. Bytes 21 CD are the PPU address, as usual, then 45 is the value 5 with bit 6 set, which means repeat the next byte as many times. FF is the end byte. It's more compact, and less wasteful, than having the sequence F4 F4 F4 F4 F4. Also, bit 7 of the repeater byte controls whether you want your tiles sequence drawn horizontally (bit clear) or vertically (bit set).

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #592 on: February 28, 2019, 10:56:32 am »
Thanks for that, IcePenguin!
I didn't even remember that bridge xD

Just for clarification, address 0x17B0 up to 0x17CF should look like this, right?

20 00 B1 EA 20 90 AC EA EA EA EA EA EA EA EA EA
EA EA EA EA EA EA 4C 0E 97 F8 02 A2 01 AD B9 97

With the [20 90 AC] should be added after the first EA, correct?

Also, thanks for the feedback on the text!
If it's not much to ask, if you find any odd sounding text throughout the game, please let me know about it so I can reword it better. :)
As for the uneven spacing and punctuation changes, I think there's not that many of them, but if you do find some which could be improved, let me know as well, I'm all up for improving the text in any possible way. :)

Wow, just looking at the list posted by ShadowOne, it really feels like a lot of work has been done. Many details that add up nicely. We've come a long way, my friends.

By the way, for your information, the PPU Macro [21 CD 45 F4 FF] contains a repeater byte. Bytes 21 CD are the PPU address, as usual, then 45 is the value 5 with bit 6 set, which means repeat the next byte as many times. FF is the end byte. It's more compact, and less wasteful, than having the sequence F4 F4 F4 F4 F4. Also, bit 7 of the repeater byte controls whether you want your tiles sequence drawn horizontally (bit clear) or vertically (bit set).

Thank you, Trax! :D
It's too much appreciated!
Also, thanks for the explanation regarding the PPU Macro for [21 CB 45 F4 FF], really helps to know how it works and why it printed out sequential F4s without having all 5 of them specified. This could really help for other places as well, right now the main use I can think of it is in the credits names, since I had to use a lot of F4s to clear out an entire row of text so they didn't overlap as they appear.
I'll try that on the credits in the meanwhile, thanks for everything!

IcePenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #593 on: February 28, 2019, 11:17:31 am »
Thanks for that, IcePenguin!
I didn't even remember that bridge xD

Just for clarification, address 0x17B0 up to 0x17CF should look like this, right?

20 00 B1 EA 20 90 AC EA EA EA EA EA EA EA EA EA
EA EA EA EA EA EA 4C 0E 97 F8 02 A2 01 AD B9 97

With the [20 90 AC] should be added after the first EA, correct?

Also, thanks for the feedback on the text!
If it's not much to ask, if you find any odd sounding text throughout the game, please let me know about it so I can reword it better. :)
As for the uneven spacing and punctuation changes, I think there's not that many of them, but if you do find some which could be improved, let me know as well, I'm all up for improving the text in any possible way. :)

Yeah, that's correct.  There needed to be an insertion point for the new code, so the game would recognize it, and the 1/4 heart hack was a simple choice for the job.  This could've been done in many different ways, but this works perfectly fine.

I'll do another play though specifically focusing on dialog, and anything I feel could use some improvement, I'll post back to let you know.  :)

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #594 on: February 28, 2019, 11:28:35 am »
Redux:
"GO AND LEARN THE JUMP MAGIC."

Original:
"WITH THIS YOU CAN JUMP VERY HIGH."

Redux:
"MAKE YOUR SWORD SHOOT FIRE."

Original:
"THIS MAGIC WILL MAKE YOUR SWORD SHOOT FIRE."

Already modified the JUMP spell line :)
Should now be closer to the original "WITH THIS SPELL, YOU CAN JUMP VERY HIGH."

Also, dude for the second one it was a wrong pointer, I had [8F AE] as the pointer, which made it begin printing the text at "MAKE YOUR SWORD", but the full text "THIS MAGIC WILL MAKE YOUR SWORD SHOOT FIRE." was still there.
Correct pointer was [7F AE], fixed now :)

I'll do another play though specifically focusing on dialog, and anything I feel could use some improvement, I'll post back to let you know.  :)

Thank you! That will really help a lot to polish the text of the game :)
Actually, you can check it by opening the game up in a Hex editor with TBL support, and adding the TBL into it, then going to address 0xE390, that's where the text begins. And it continues at 0xF820 after the pointer section.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Out of that, I noticed that the disassembly page now gives a "404 not found" error now. :/
Any reason why the disassembly is no longer available?
Does anyone have a backup copy of it? Or was the removal intentional?

IcePenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #595 on: February 28, 2019, 01:43:59 pm »
Went through every town and talked to each NPC or point of interest, and here are some improvements you could make.  The dialog in Redux is listed first in bold, followed by what I think would be better.  I tested all of these, and they will fit within the limited space of the text box.  :)

Spoiler:
"BALANCE THE THREE LEVELS AND TRUE POWER WILL BE YOURS!"

Perhaps makes this a more useful hint.  Explain saving with UP+A maybe?

"GET THE CANDLE IN PARAPA, GO WEST TO THE NEXT TEMPLE."

Should be "EAST" instead.

"I LOST THE MIRROR."

I lost my mirror.

"I FOUND A MIRROR UNDER THE TABLE."

"You" instead of "I"

"LET ME BE!  THIS HOUSE MASTER IS AT A FOREST NORTH OF THE RIVER."

"THE" instead of "THIS"

"ONLY TOWNSFOLK CAN CROSS THIS RIVER."

Only Saria Townsfolk can cross this river.

"A FRIEND OF BUG, EH!  IN THAT CASE, GO AND CROSS THE BRIDGE."

A friend of Bug, eh?  In that case, you may cross the bridge.

"THE RAFT IS AT THE ISLET TEMPLE TO THE SOUTH."

"Isle" instead of "Islet" to allow for better text spacing.

"PLEASE, MY DAUGHTER IS ILL, SHE LOOKS LIKE AT DEATH'S DOOR."

Please, my daughter is ill, she is at death's door!"

"A SACRED WATER IN A CAVE IN MORUGE SWAMP CAN AID THE ILL"

Missing punctuation.

A cave in the Moruge Swamp has the Sacred Water that heals all.

"SACRED WATER!  MY DAUGHTER IS SAVED!  COME TO MY HOUSE."

The sacred water!  My daughter is saved!  Come to my house.

(This allows for better text spacing.)

"IF YOU HAVE THE SACRED BOOTS, YOU CAN WALK ON THE OCEAN."

Move "ON" to the line above and make the last line "THE OCEAN."

(better spacing)

"I DREW SOME WATER."

You drew some water from the fountain.

"SEE THE WISE MAN AT DARUNIA BEFORE GOING TO MAZE ISLAND"

Missing punctuation.

See the wise man at Darunia before you go to Maze Island.

"YOU ARE STUBBORN!  I SAW A HEART ABOVE THE OCEAN!"

"OVER" instead of "ABOVE"

"THE WALL READS  [pause]  A TEMPLE LIES AT THE FAR EAST OF NABOORU."

The wall reads...  [pause]

"MONSTERS HATE NOISE."

The river monster hates all noise.

"WHEN YOU JUMP, TRY PRESSING UP TO PERFORM AN UPTHRUST."

When you jump, press up to perform an upthrust.

"MY CHILD IS CAPTURED ON MAZE ISLAND.  PLEASE, RESCUE HIM!"

My child is captured!  He's on Maze Island!  Please, rescue him!

(makes her seem more panicked this way.  also has better spacing)

"THANK YOU, HERO.  PLEASE, COME INSIDE."

You are a hero for saving my child.  Please, follow me.

"I WON'T TELL YOU UNTIL YOU ARE READY."

"TEACH" instead of "TELL"

"THIS MAGIC WILL STRENGTHEN YOUR SHIELD!"

This magic will allow your shield to deflect attacks!

"KASUTO... STRANGE... THERE IS NO SIGN OF ANYONE!"

Kasuto... [pause]  Strange... [pause]

"THE TOWN'S IN RUINS.  THE PEOPLE HID IN THE FOREST EAST OF THE CAVE"

Missing punctuation.

Kasuto is ruined.  The people fled to a hidden town in the east woods.

"THE MAGIC KEY READS [pause] TREASURE OF KASUTO."

The magic key... [pause] treasure of Kasuto.

"DO YOU HAVE SEVEN MAGIC CONTAINERS?"

Return when you have more magic capacity.

"THE OLD MAN WHO REMAINS IN KASUTO IS AN AMAZING MAGICIAN!"

The old man who remains in Kasuto is one of the great sages!"

"THE HOLE IN THE TEMPLE IS A NEVERENDING BOTTOMLESS PIT."

A spell was cast on a hole in the temple.  It never ends!

If not that, remove "NEVERENDING" from the dialog.  It's redundant.

"LEARN THIS MYSTERIOUS SPELL."

This spell has some mysterious origins.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 01:50:46 pm by IcePenguin »

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #596 on: February 28, 2019, 01:55:00 pm »
Went through every town and talked to each NPC or point of interest, and here are some improvements you could make.  The dialog in Redux is listed first in bold, followed by what I think would be better.  I tested all of these, and they will fit within the limited space of the text box.  :)

Spoiler:
"BALANCE THE THREE LEVELS AND TRUE POWER WILL BE YOURS!"

Perhaps makes this a more useful hint.  Explain saving with UP+A maybe?

"GET THE CANDLE IN PARAPA, GO WEST TO THE NEXT TEMPLE."

Should be "EAST" instead.

"I LOST THE MIRROR."

I lost my mirror.

"I FOUND A MIRROR UNDER THE TABLE."

"You" instead of "I"

"LET ME BE!  THIS HOUSE MASTER IS AT A FOREST NORTH OF THE RIVER."

"THE" instead of "THIS"

"ONLY TOWNSFOLK CAN CROSS THIS RIVER."

Only Saria Townsfolk can cross this river.

"A FRIEND OF BUG, EH!  IN THAT CASE, GO AND CROSS THE BRIDGE."

A friend of Bug, eh?  In that case, you may cross the bridge.

"THE RAFT IS AT THE ISLET TEMPLE TO THE SOUTH."

"Isle" instead of "Islet" to allow for better text spacing.

"PLEASE, MY DAUGHTER IS ILL, SHE LOOKS LIKE AT DEATH'S DOOR."

Please, my daughter is ill, she is at death's door!"

"A SACRED WATER IN A CAVE IN MORUGE SWAMP CAN AID THE ILL"

Missing punctuation.

A cave in the Moruge Swamp has the Sacred Water that heals all.

"SACRED WATER!  MY DAUGHTER IS SAVED!  COME TO MY HOUSE."

The sacred water!  My daughter is saved!  Come to my house.

(This allows for better text spacing.)

"IF YOU HAVE THE SACRED BOOTS, YOU CAN WALK ON THE OCEAN."

Move "ON" to the line above and make the last line "THE OCEAN."

(better spacing)

"I DREW SOME WATER."

You drew some water from the fountain.

"SEE THE WISE MAN AT DARUNIA BEFORE GOING TO MAZE ISLAND"

Missing punctuation.

See the wise man at Darunia before you go to Maze Island.

"YOU ARE STUBBORN!  I SAW A HEART ABOVE THE OCEAN!"

"OVER" instead of "ABOVE"

"THE WALL READS  [pause]  A TEMPLE LIES AT THE FAR EAST OF NABOORU."

The wall reads...  [pause]

"MONSTERS HATE NOISE."

The river monster hates all noise.

"WHEN YOU JUMP, TRY PRESSING UP TO PERFORM AN UPTHRUST."

When you jump, press up to perform an upthrust.

"MY CHILD IS CAPTURED ON MAZE ISLAND.  PLEASE, RESCUE HIM!"

My child is captured!  He's on Maze Island!  Please, rescue him!

(makes her seem more panicked this way.  also has better spacing)

"THANK YOU, HERO.  PLEASE, COME INSIDE."

You are a hero for saving my child.  Please, follow me.

"I WON'T TELL YOU UNTIL YOU ARE READY."

"TEACH" instead of "TELL"

"THIS MAGIC WILL STRENGTHEN YOUR SHIELD!"

This magic will allow your shield to deflect attacks!

"KASUTO... STRANGE... THERE IS NO SIGN OF ANYONE!"

Kasuto... [pause]  Strange... [pause]

"THE TOWN'S IN RUINS.  THE PEOPLE HID IN THE FOREST EAST OF THE CAVE"

Missing punctuation.

Kasuto is ruined.  The people fled to a hidden town in the east woods.

"THE MAGIC KEY READS [pause] TREASURE OF KASUTO."

The magic key... [pause] treasure of Kasuto.

"DO YOU HAVE SEVEN MAGIC CONTAINERS?"

Return when you have more magic capacity.

"THE OLD MAN WHO REMAINS IN KASUTO IS AN AMAZING MAGICIAN!"

The old man who remains in Kasuto is one of the great sages!"

"THE HOLE IN THE TEMPLE IS A NEVERENDING BOTTOMLESS PIT."

A spell was cast on a hole in the temple.  It never ends!

If not that, remove "NEVERENDING" from the dialog.  It's redundant.

"LEARN THIS MYSTERIOUS SPELL."

This spell has some mysterious origins.

Those are all great points to bring up :)
One thing worth noting though...

The text boxes allow for a maximum of 6 rows, each one with a maximum of 11 tiles per row.
So basically we have 66 tiles/letters/spaces to work with, 11 characters per row.

That was one of the main reasons why I couldn't add that much info into some of them, one example is the one with the Sacred water one I believe, same with a few others.
I'll see how I can rearrange them to work still :)

Also, I found the address to make the Bot/Bit that appears in towns to give out Exp, it's at 0xD4E9, should be a [C0], I changed it to [C1]
Seems like the whole data bits for enemies that appear in towns starts at 0xD4E5, added that info to Data Crystal.
I could also confirm that with the Moa that appears in the new King's Tomb you made, his bits are at 0xD4EB I believe.

IcePenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #597 on: February 28, 2019, 02:03:16 pm »
I'm aware of the limitations of the text.  My changes should all fit within those.  I did a lot of this for Shadow of Night, which has the same limitations as Redux, so that experience helped out in making these suggestions.  :)

Yeah, the enemy data for towns is a bit more unknown, because there are only 3 different enemy types I believe.  It's good you added it to datacrystal!  I'm surprised it didn't have any, ha ha.

Edit:

Here are some other various suggestions:

1. Basilisk in cave north of Nabooru needs to be moved left a few spaces.  If you enter the cave from the north entrance, this enemy is positioned in such a way that it wraps to the right side of the screen.  Simply moving it will fix this.

2. Moa in Path of Fire entrance needs to be move up a few spaces.  Sometimes there is a forced hit from the Moa because it will spawn right on top of you, and you can't avoid it.

3. The final sign in Old Kasuto has no text.  Perhaps remove the sign, or add text to it.

Edit:

Discovered another condition check that needed to be done for the automatic Saria Bridge.  When you talk to Error's friend in Mido, he also uses RAM address $796.  So that makes 4 things that use it.  Saria Bridge, Down stab, Up Stab, and Error's friend.  I will check if there are any others, but so far, I haven't found anymore.  I updated the original post.  Not much is changed, so it should be easy to update.  :)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 03:08:50 pm by IcePenguin »

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #598 on: February 28, 2019, 05:24:34 pm »
Okay just went ahead and addressed all of the text stuff that you mentioned :)
Repointed a lot of text, but they should now have all proper punctuation and spacing.

If you can, please check it out, it's the same link from the OP, just updated the patch a few seconds ago.
This one also has the fix for the Saria's bridge.

Here are some other various suggestions:

1. Basilisk in cave north of Nabooru needs to be moved left a few spaces.  If you enter the cave from the north entrance, this enemy is positioned in such a way that it wraps to the right side of the screen.  Simply moving it will fix this.

2. Moa in Path of Fire entrance needs to be move up a few spaces.  Sometimes there is a forced hit from the Moa because it will spawn right on top of you, and you can't avoid it.

3. The final sign in Old Kasuto has no text.  Perhaps remove the sign, or add text to it.

Are these related to enemy positioning in the game?
Can this be done with the Editor?
If so, could you please take a look into it with the editor you use? Or maybe even with njosro's

Also, one last thing I just remembered that I'd love to get implemented into Redux right before it gets released:
https://tcrf.net/Zelda_II:_The_Adventure_of_Link#Palace_Windows

In there you can see that the 4th and 6th palaces (Maze Palace & Hidden Palace) have unused window graphics, which are never seen because those palace layouts don't have any windows in them.
Could these be implemented with the Editor as well somehow?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 05:49:15 pm by ShadowOne333 »

IAmCaptPlanet

• View Profile
« Reply #599 on: February 28, 2019, 05:55:59 pm »
SEXY WINDOWS! i'd love to see em in there.