News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Wario Land 2 Extended (Wario Land 2 rom hack)  (Read 1043 times)

NekoBaron

• View Profile
Wario Land 2 Extended (Wario Land 2 rom hack)
« on: June 28, 2020, 12:28:27 pm »

Wario Land 2 Extended (or Extra, maybe just EX?) is something I've been working on quietly on and off for the last few years and aims to be a full set of new levels for Wario to bust though made with the WL2 editor made by evmatter

This project has been a lot larger than I had though and should hopefully be soon released as 25 brand new levels out of the original 51 making it a complete normal 25 level play through and hopefully if there's enough interest perhaps complete it at later date and finish off the whole 51 levels.

Features
    • 20/25 Levels Currently complete
    • A more challenging but accessible level of difficulty for all Wario Fans
    • Uses more of the available level data giving a longer adventure
    • Every level borrows from its original theme but rebuilt from scratch
    • Tweaked boss rooms
    • Extended tilesets, pallets, tweaks and a few custom tile graphics
    • Plenty of coins to collect and treasure rooms to find
    • Secret exits can still be located but the doors will be blocked off for now

Currently this hack has only been play tested on emulator but should be fully compatible.
    I sadly don't have a ETA yet as with current pace I've sat around tweaking a single room for over an hour at a time to create a challenge but would love to release the 25 levels in the next few months.

Additional Media (May spoil certain levels)
    In game screen shot
    Chapter 1 - 3 Let the water out!
    Chapter 4 - 2 Over the rooftops!

Feel free to ask any questions you might have or say what you think so far, I am not looking for testers at this time but I have a few people who are interested in testing in mind so when its released it should be fully tested independently by then.

bradzx

• View Profile
    Re: Wario Land 2 Extended (Wario Land 2 rom hack)
    « Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 06:36:03 am »
    This look fun.   Look forward to see it.
    Are you huge fan of Megaman Xtreme 2?   Then check this progress of Remastered version!

Metalwario64

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 08:57:35 am »
    I love Wario land 2 (and 3) so I'm definitely looking forward to this.

CM30

• View Profile
      • Gaming Reinvented (in beta testing)
    « Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 07:48:34 pm »
    Looks great to me! Been hoping for some more Wario Land series hacks for a while now, especially with people like Blanchon and SSP doing great work on Wario Land 3 and 4 respectively.

Seeing a full length Wario Land 2 hack will be awesome.

Regardless, have you also considered mentioning it on Wario Forums, its Discord or the Wario subreddit? Think quite a few people may be interested in learning about this project there...
    Like Wario?  If so, check out Wario Forums today!

Similarly, want to test a new gaming site?  Check out Gaming Reinvented! Now in beta!

NekoBaron

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 08:57:35 pm »
    Regardless, have you also considered mentioning it on Wario Forums, its Discord or the Wario subreddit? Think quite a few people may be interested in learning about this project there...
    I may at the time of release but just wanted to get it all sorted in one place for now instead of worrying about keeping track of multiple places, I felt stressed enough just announcing its existence but wanted to so I have a push to finish the last few levels and give me somewhere to link people to who are interested.

Blanchon

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: July 01, 2020, 05:20:15 am »
    It's great to see an almost complete hack of a wario land gb game. Will you try to tweak the game's code or are you keeping it simple ? It would give you more freedom if you could change the order of each levels or even the paths themselves, and since it's more straight-forward and enclosed than WL3, it might be less of a nightmare to realize.

as with current pace I've sat around tweaking a single room for over an hour at a time to create a challenge

And finally someone understanding the pain I feel !  :banghead:  :beer:

NekoBaron

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: July 01, 2020, 08:46:18 am »
    Will you try to tweak the game's code or are you keeping it simple ?

I would love it if I could to do some tweaks for blocks and gamelogic (such as holding an enemy while on a conveyor belt doesnt actually move you) but even with my own knowledge of programming I wouldn't know where to start with disassembling it (plus I've broken the editor quite a few times already), I may consider it for the later 25 levels if I get around to it as it would let me create a few more layouts/puzzles for them.

I am messing with as much as I can at the moment since WL2 by default doesn't quite use all its potential.