News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Translating Zelda II NES to Japanese  (Read 1650 times)

jordiway73

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
Translating Zelda II NES to Japanese
« on: March 13, 2018, 05:30:42 pm »
I need some help adding the Japanese Alphabet to the PPU viewer of Zelda 2, any help would be much appreciated. Some of you may or may not know but Zelda 2 was never released on a famicom cartridge.

I would like to copy the Alphabet from Zelda 1 (Jap) to Zelda 2, thanks

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
Re: Translating Zelda II NES to Japanese
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 06:45:10 pm »
Wait, wait, hold on... yes, I know Zelda II didn't come out on a cart in Japan, but it did come out on disk.

By 'translating' the game into Japanese, I presume you mean taking all of the Japanese text from the FDS version and putting it into the US cartridge version.

Don't get me wrong, I've beaten both versions, and the different levelling systems do make it a different experience. Not a very big difference, mind, especially when you get near the end, but different.

Looking at your history, you seem to have done work on other NES games before, yet now you need help changing the alphabet to kana? Also, you don't want to add it to the PPU Viewer in FCEUX, you want to put it in the ROM, though judging by what I see in the PPU Viewer it may be a tight fit.

Get Tile Molester and try pasting in the graphics you want, then go from there. Forgive me if I sound a bit strange but I do wonder how many Japanese natives are reading RHDN in the hopes that someone will turn the US version into Japanese... :D It's not that I think it's a bad idea - hell, the US version IS the better version - I just don't think you'll get much of a response for this. But hey, it's up to you. :)

Oh, and couldn't you copy the katakana from the Zelda II FDS disk instead of Zelda 1? Don't think it matters, but whatever. If I was doing what you're doing, the first thing I'd do is get into the FDS version and see what's what.

jordiway73

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 07:08:47 pm »
I guess what I should have said was add the alphabet to the rom so that it is viewable in the PPU viewer of FCEUX as you need both English and Japanese text. I chose the Zelda 1 (J) rom font because it looks nicer than the FDS font. And yes I just plan on transferring all the text from the FDS version. It should be pretty simple as the English text is longer so there should be plenty of room. I know how to edit the rom, I just don't know how to make it viewable in the PPU.

"Forgive me if I sound a bit strange but I do wonder how many Japanese natives are reading RHDN in the hopes that someone will turn the US version into Japanese... :D It's not that I think it's a bad idea - hell, the US version IS the better version - I just don't think you'll get much of a response for this. But hey, it's up to you."

I just thought it would be a cool project!!!!!

GHANMI

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 07:23:34 pm »
Zelda 2 when it got translated to English no longer used Japanese letters, so the developers replaced those with the new graphics for the extra townsfolk and dungeon tilesets. Those very improvements which I think are the reason why you are retranslating the game to Japanese came at the expense of the existing JP characters.
The remaining English characters are nowhere near enough for a Japanese translation.

There is still a way to translate it, but that involves changing the mapper and expanding the rom so that the game pulls the Japanese characters from an extra PPU page and/or the ROM. It's a major assembly hack.

A lot of NES games from the same era did similar things, overwriting the JP font with other graphics.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 07:30:35 pm »
Get Tile Molester and try pasting in the graphics you want, then go from there. Forgive me if I sound a bit strange but I do wonder how many Japanese natives are reading RHDN in the hopes that someone will turn the US version into Japanese... :D It's not that I think it's a bad idea - hell, the US version IS the better version - I just don't think you'll get much of a response for this. But hey, it's up to you. :)

They will wonder however did they live without the RETURN OF GANNON and bugs that can only be killed with fire. :P
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

PowerPanda

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 08:05:35 pm »
Hmmm... 26 English characters as opposed to 46 katakana (well, 48 if you include the small tsu and shi characters). Could you do a half-width katakana font?

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 08:49:45 pm »
Could you do a half-width katakana font?

You've never hacked the NES, have you? :D

PowerPanda

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 09:31:42 am »
You've never hacked the NES, have you? :D

Nope, I've only really done hacking on the SNES so far.  :thumbsup:

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 10:01:04 pm »
I think Zelda II is among the many NES games which use CHR-ROM for its graphics. That means the PPU is drawing graphics directly out of a ROM thus (outside of emulators not accurately following that), the graphics can not be drawn at runtime (which is a requirement of variable or half-width fonts).

Even NES games which uses VRAM, or CHR-RAM, which is writable (including Zelda 1), would likely suffer from space limits (only 256 tiles to use for the console's single background layer) or speed limitations (NES does not have a general-purpose DMA, only one specifically designed for sprites. Data can only be transferred to VRAM through manual loops, which are very slow and you'd probably be lucky to transfer more than a few tiles before hitting the limits of what it can do in one NMI.)

jordiway73

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 02:19:19 pm »
There is still a way to translate it, but that involves changing the mapper and expanding the rom so that the game pulls the Japanese characters from an extra PPU page and/or the ROM. It's a major assembly hack.

Maybe this could be the answer

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2451/

Zynk

• Submission Reviewer
  • WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2018, 08:40:26 pm »
Is it considered "translating" when you would probably just gonna port JP texts from the FDS version into the NES version?  :huh:

You should translate the non-Japanese texts in the game, like the opening texts.
 ----
EDIT: Uhh... you may want to drop this project, because someone already beat you to it and its from 2006  :P

http://www.geocities.jp/hlc6502/Kozakura.htm

« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 08:51:50 pm by Zynk »

jordiway73

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2018, 10:21:06 pm »
Is it considered "translating" when you would probably just gonna port JP texts from the FDS version into the NES version?  :huh:

I'm pretty sure that's what I stated I was going to do!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the link

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2018, 11:35:44 am »

You should translate the non-Japanese texts in the game, like the opening texts.
 ----
EDIT: Uhh... you may want to drop this project, because someone already beat you to it and its from 2006  :P

http://www.geocities.jp/hlc6502/Kozakura.htm

Are you sure ? Because I searched a bit on the website and it seems there is no patch so it seems to just be some graphical title screens modifications and not an actual romhack.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2018, 12:49:19 pm »
I haven't checked it but it seems like there should be a download link for all patches at the bottom of the page.
A line of large Japanese text.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2018, 01:09:34 pm »
Yeah, I just checked it out, looks like the guy did exactly what you'd set out to do.

On the one hand it's a pity that your idea was already done, but on the other hand, you wanted to see Zelda 2 cartridge version in Japanese, so... that's good, I suppose? :)

jordiway73

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2018, 09:53:24 pm »
I submitted it to the translations and it was accepted

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/3495/

I'm going to try to get a hold of Kozakurainko and invite them back to boards he/she seems to be very talented. Judging the reviews people left for his/her first submissions its no wonder he/she didn't submit anymore work.

I'm not sure how reviews like that are even approved, he/she translated an NES game to Japanese that was an FDS only release in Japan so if people in Japan want they can now put it on a real cart and play it just like we do when people translate Japanese only games to English.  I think the golden rule should apply to reviews if you don't have any thing nice to say or some real good advice and what could be done to make it better then you probably shouldn't say anything at all.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2018, 02:04:54 am »
I'm going to try to get a hold of Kozakurainko and invite them back to boards he/she seems to be very talented. Judging the reviews people left for his/her first submissions its no wonder he/she didn't submit anymore work.

I'm pretty sure they didn't submit anything, someone did it on their behalf (like you just did).

Judging the reviews people left for his/her first submissions its no wonder he/she didn't submit anymore work.

I'm not sure how reviews like that are even approved

Everyone's entitled to an opinion. :) Someone didn't like my double experience hack for Dragon Quest on SNES because it made it too easy for them... ::)

But like I said, I don't think this person ever visited the site: I always assumed Japanese gamers occupied their own little corner of the web and didn't come around places like this. :D

GHANMI

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2018, 08:17:30 am »
You could go and translate both Startropics games instead :)

The region between 0x00 and 0x7F is usable for Japanese characters, there is even room for it in the first game. In the second one, it's filled by graphics for the book that only appears between chapters, so if you figure out how to fix that you could translate it too.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2018, 07:21:03 pm »
The region between 0x00 and 0x7F is usable for Japanese characters, there is even room for it in the first game.
There is room because Nintendo simply blanked out the katakana font when making the NES cart port of Zelda. ;)
They didn't use that emptied space for anything else, but it looks like in Zelda II they did.

GHANMI

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2018, 02:30:48 am »
There is room because Nintendo simply blanked out the katakana font when making the NES cart port of Zelda. ;)
They didn't use that emptied space for anything else, but it looks like in Zelda II they did.
That's true for Zelda 1, but I was talking about both Startropics games, also made by Nintendo but never released in Japan.