News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Legallity of directly moddifying original Xbox TSC files?  (Read 711 times)

RetroProf

• View Profile
Legallity of directly moddifying original Xbox TSC files?
« on: March 13, 2018, 11:35:27 am »
I was fooling around in the directory of Drihoo, a Japan exclusive original Xbox game. And to my astonishment discovered the text is stored as plain text in TSC files. I opened one up in Notepad++, changed some words, uploaded to my Xbox, and it worked!

I'm kinda half tempted to do some translating. However, if I submit the TSC files with the new text, would these be accepted? There is other junk inside them too:

Code: [Select]
MTK_TALKTO "ブルズ"
MTK_TESTJUMP MTK_F_GETVAL(0)=0,TALKPROG,MTK_L_NEXT
MTK_TESTJUMP MTK_F_GETVAL(0)=1,GOODBYE,MTK_L_NEXT
MTK_TESTJUMP MTK_F_GETVAL(0)=2,NOMONEY,MTK_L_NEXT
MTK_TESTJUMP MTK_F_GETVAL(0)=3,ITEMFULL,MTK_L_NEXT
MTK_END

So in the above example, it's an NPC called "Bruce" and then below that is a bunch of Japanese text blocks.

Files range in size from 2kb to 128kb, and altogether weight in at around 500kb.

I would not want to do the work and then have the files rejected because I needed to go the long route of creating a patch file to patch these specific files.

I'm sure it's possible to read up on how to do that, but I'm really only interested in this because I can load the actual TSC files and just retype what I'm reading.

USC

• Submission Reviewer
  • Obviously Outdated
    • View Profile
Re: Legallity of directly moddifying original Xbox TSC files?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 01:59:49 pm »
Edit: Didn't read the last section, argh.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 02:12:30 pm by USC »