The Legend of Dragoon Script Overhaul (and more) [LODModS Update]

Started by theflyingzamboni, March 06, 2018, 05:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic


Alright, so I don't have anything new to show right now, but it's been a while and I wanted to post an update on the state of these projects, in case anyone is following this thread. Overly wordy, because that's just how I do with these things. Despite lack of updates, I have actually been working on stuff when I have the chance.

First off, the Script Overhaul, which I assume is what most people are interested in: Unfortunately, any further releases are still in the far distant future. However, I have (finally) started working on the Disc 2 script! No timeline, but after *checks* 9 months since the Disc 1 beta released, I have begun working again on my actual original mod project. Progress should also be smoother in the future, due to what I've been doing instead, which is a lot of setup work.

Part of this setup work has been continuing my other major project, coding my LODModS toolset, so that I don't have to keep interrupting script work with fixing bugs or creating new tool features necessary for modding. At present, I am slowly but surely going back through my tools, bugfixing, optimizing, improving, and, perhaps most importantly, documenting my code. Which is necessary, because I plan to release it at some point as an open source beta on github so that a) other people can create translations into their own languages or create other LODModS-style mods, and b) so other modders can potentially contribute features to the toolset (it's in Python), because I am spreading myself pretty thin on these projects with the time I have available (not much).

The other part of this setup work was dumping and sorting the full script into a readable state, which I finished with a couple weeks ago. This was the most important pre-editing step. With all 4 discs dumped and sorted, I won't have to stop after each disc to get things together for the next, so the process will be smoothed considerably. Like the toolset, I will make my sorting fields publicly available for modders. Also learning from disc 1, I have set everything up in such a way that I can make all my edits in a sorted spreadsheet created automatically from the script dumps and insert scripts from that, instead of the horror-show of typing all the dialogue into a Word document, editing it, then copy-pasting and formatting lines into text files. Because I really had no idea what I was doing.

So that's what I've been doing the past few months. As for the future, expect things to continue to be pretty slow. My free-time situation changed drastically this April, so I can't work on modding as much as before. My plan at the moment is to continue working simultaneously on Disc 2 and coding. I am also considering doing a story-only pass on the script and ignore random NPC dialogue entirely for the moment, rather than a full overhaul disc-by-disc. That way, the overhauled story script could be available sooner, while work then continues on the less important (and less read) incidental dialogue.

If you read all this text, then congratulations, you really are an RPG fan.  :laugh:
ROM wasn't hacked in a day.


Despite appearances, these projects are not dead, and I've been working on my set of hacking tools for the game. I have largely finished a massive update and released the python code as open-source here. It's still in alpha, has some known issues, does not have the patch creator/patcher, and needs substantially more documentation for the process than the command-line help probably, but it is usable in its current state for doing script hacks.

The reason that it's in rough shape and will stay that way is that I'm abandoning the standalone python version and attempting to learn C# so that I can integrate its functionality with Zychronix's current open-source version of Dragoon Modifier. In the end, this should make for the simplest, most user-friendly, and unified LoD modding experience, combining the benefits of both RAM and ROMhacking into one tool. At least that is our hope. No idea when this will bear fruit, but it'll likely continue at a slow but steady pace. And maybe one day I'll get back to my original script overhaul project?
ROM wasn't hacked in a day.


Is there a way to create a mod for a kill counter that tracks number of kills of each specific monster type? I'm creating a d20/card companion game for LoD, where in-game kills grant you points (or shards) toward unlocking and leveling monsters to battle with in a d20/card game. Advancement will likely be a modified/simplified version of DnD.


Hello! I created an account just to post to this project.

I've played your disk one translation and I cannot say enough what a GODSEND it is. LoD has been one of my favorite RPGs that I played as a kid, and as an adult I always wondered why I didn't really understand what the story was. Replaying it, I realized it's because the original translation was a heap of garbage.

I have been DYING for someone to do this, and I cannot wait for you to finish the project. I wanted to bump the thread to let you know there are people out there who support you and can't wait to see what you do!