News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Chrono Trigger gets a Steam release.  (Read 15711 times)

Chronosplit

• View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger gets a Steam release.
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2018, 05:38:30 pm »
Sorry to bump this, but uh...

https://kotaku.com/chrono-trigger-pc-will-get-patched-to-add-the-original-1824279706
Hey, this might be worth looking into after all if you really want to.  The UI and missing arena would be the only issues now.

I doubt this option will happen for their other mobile ports though.  It was probably a small job to undo the graphical changes considering the original mobile source had none in the first place, and the UI is rather baked into FFV and VI's new graphics.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2018, 10:54:39 am »

thr

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2018, 12:22:37 am »
so they added the option to remove the filter altogether, so you can now choose between no filter or crappy filter. either way it still looks worse than with super eagle, 2xsai or whatever on an emu.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2018, 09:24:58 am »
so they added the option to remove the filter altogether, so you can now choose between no filter or crappy filter. either way it still looks worse than with super eagle, 2xsai or whatever on an emu.
It was more than just filter, they shifted out the tiles completely and apparently fixed most of the hilarious tile clashes.  I tend to like how it looks, but then again I'm a big fan of Nearest Neighbor.

I would've loved the option to pick the filter, but Square doesn't just apply them over the game like emulators (or really, most games that have it) do for some reason.  Maybe someone will mod that ability into the game for the un-filtered tiles.

Xaliphe

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2018, 09:33:46 am »

That's pretty subjective and you also have the option of using sweetfx/reshade for similar effects.

thr

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2018, 12:58:43 pm »
It was more than just filter, they shifted out the tiles completely and apparently fixed most of the hilarious tile clashes.  I tend to like how it looks, but then again I'm a big fan of Nearest Neighbor.

I would've loved the option to pick the filter, but Square doesn't just apply them over the game like emulators (or really, most games that have it) do for some reason.  Maybe someone will mod that ability into the game for the un-filtered tiles.

yea, that's because the issue with tile clashes was due to how squeenix upscaled and filtered individual tiles instead of simply using full-screen filtering. simply removing the upscaling fixed most of the tiling issues.
do note that some tile clashes are present even in the original CT as well. here's a pretty informative article on the subject from the guy who made Defender's Quest: link.