News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: SMB2 (US) randomization questions  (Read 906 times)

tetraly

• View Profile
SMB2 (US) randomization questions
« on: February 20, 2018, 10:34:13 am »
Hi folks, I'm working on a randomizer for Super Mario Bros. 2 (US) that randomizes (among other things) enemies, level order, playable character stats for jumping/running/digging and color palettes.  I'm close to being able to launch an initial version but have a problem that's causing softlocks when I move certain levels with waterfalls into world 4 or levels with brick backgrounds into world 7.

For example, if I move level 5-1 into world 4, the waterfall objects (object types 0xF0 - 0xFF) will be "frozen" into ice tiles and make it impossible for the player to progress in the main part of the level.  Also, if I move either level 1-3 or 3-3 into world 7, the brick "backgrounds" (object type 0x18) that aren't solid in worlds 1 and 3 become solid walls in world 7, making it impossible to access doors to the inside parts of the levels.

I suspect that there must be some world-specific setting that controls what tiles are used for waterfalls and these brick backgrounds and have tried tinkering with all the settings I can find in the various SMB2 ROM editors to figure out what controls them.  However, I haven't had any luck like I have editing tilesets that are available in the editor for changing like bombable walls, X-Blocks, etc.  By chance, does anyone know where the world-specific tile or opaqueness settings for the brick backgrounds and waterfalls are?

Thanks in advance for any help!