News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: NBA Showtime for Nintendo 64 - Modifying textures  (Read 1228 times)

glitchrichmond

• View Profile
NBA Showtime for Nintendo 64 - Modifying textures
« on: February 19, 2018, 07:16:15 pm »
I've currently been messing around with NBA Showtime in a hex editor and running the modified game on my Everdrive 64. I'm not an extremely experienced modder (I've worked on a few games for NES and Sega Genesis) but I've been able to edit player/team names and player attributes/appearances. Mostly through trial and error I've figured out where player attributes for dunk, appearance, dribble, speed, etc. live.

My goal was to customize the game with updated rosters and add some legends. But in order to do this I would need to modify the textures and that's where I'm getting a little lost. From the limited knowledge that I have, it seems fairly difficult to do? I've taken a look at the game using Texture64 v0.1.1 and was able to locate the team jersey textures but have no idea how to go about editing them. My first thought was that I could decompress the game and I would be given a series of images that I could then inject back in, but that was not the case. I used Universal N64 Compressor to decompress the game and was given a series of .bin files that I have no idea how to navigate.

Honestly, I'm just looking for some guidance here. I know the guys over at NFL Blitz Fans have created a program to edit most of the graphics in Blitz 2000 and I'm hoping since this is also a Midway game, some of that stuff might translate?

Any help that anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

February 24, 2018, 01:17:08 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
So, a little update:

Using Texture64 v0.1.1 I was able to export the jersey textures, customize and insert them back in. So right now I can customize team names, players details (height, weight, stats, name and in-game model) and team uniforms.

I would still love to be able to customize player portraits, team logos and team courts though and I'm pretty positive these textures are compressed. I'm not sure what the next step is but I'll keep chipping away.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 01:17:08 pm by glitchrichmond »