News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: one handed games?  (Read 2010 times)

nicknitro7704

• View Profile
one handed games?
« on: February 13, 2018, 06:29:26 pm »
I've recently broken my arm and don't have the use of one of my hands. Can you guys give me suggestions on some PS1 or SNES games? turn based RPG's mostly. i'm a fan of the final fantasy series just looking for something to mix it up. Thanks in advanced guys.

NERV Agent

• EYAH! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
Re: one handed games?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 10:45:46 pm »
I guess those visual novels and dating sims can be played one handed*, since all you really need to do is click with a mouse?

Also....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSKfzTXL2Zw

https://www.amazon.com/Agetec-ASCII-Grip/dp/B00001ZUW8

*Refrains from making obvious joke.
Pen Pen Toblerone Vomit is waifu of the year.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 11:18:58 pm »
Earthbound was specifically designed to be playable one handed. Left, specifically. The L button does most of the functions, and the Start button brings up the menu. It's also the best non-Final Fantasy SNES RPG.
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 11:53:16 pm »
Earthbound was specifically designed to be playable one handed. Left, specifically. The L button does most of the functions, and the Start button brings up the menu.

Dragon Quest 5 does this too.

aqualung

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 09:13:47 am »
I think the combats in Lennus were playable with only one hand. Don't know if the sequel plays the same because I played just once quite some years ago, and I have yet to replay it (it was a really nice game, as I remember).

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 10:03:30 am »
Crypt of the Necrodancer.  It's a rogue-lite (which I normally hate) combined with a rhythm game, and is designed to be played entirely with just the arrow keys on your keyboard  (or a DDR dance pad)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/247080/Crypt_of_the_NecroDancer/

EDIT:  Whoops.  I missed the "PS or SNES" restriction.  My mistake!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 10:09:10 am by Disch »

nesrocks

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 10:29:33 am »
Street fighter 2 on consoles with L1 and L2 can be played one handed no problem, I beat some friends doing this, it's funny. Configure those buttons to be fierce punch and fierce kick.

More seriously, rhythm tengoku (GBA) is a one button game.

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 10:42:20 am »
Yeah, guess you'd have to stick with RPG's and strategy games(or as NERV Agent suggested, Visual Novels/Dating sims, or interactive fiction/text adventures) for the most part.

I mean you're here, but I still gotta say, hopefully you're using emulation, where you can reconfigure the controls to your liking.

I'd also hope you were maybe open to other consoles, I know it's not regarded for it's RPG's, but the Genesis has Phantasy Star IV(only go for IV, you may like the others, but they're archaic by comparison), or the Shining Force games.

If that's off the table and it absolutely has to be PS1 or SNES, this translation is like something in between the Shining Force games, for the SNES:
https://www.romhacking.net/translations/349/

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 11:08:18 am »
I am sure someone would also be delighted to sell you a racing wheel with some foot pedals (I see them all the time in junk shops taking up loads of space and being there for months at a time). Most just function as normal controllers in a fancy shape, however in your case the pedals might open up a couple more options.

If you want to get fancier still you can probably slice the wire up and pipe it into something like a teensy or actually I saw custom kits going the other day for people to make arcade controllers from. Some options are screw terminals as well if you are not up to soldering.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 06:22:12 pm »
I think the combats in Lennus were playable with only one hand. Don't know if the sequel plays the same because I played just once quite some years ago, and I have yet to replay it (it was a really nice game, as I remember).

It still allows you to Mash A To Win like every other RPG, though. :D (while the D-Pad is used to select menu options, it still allows to press A for selecting the menu options to "attack", "weapon" and "yes" for confirming turn selection)
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

thr

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2018, 09:18:24 pm »
It still allows you to Mash A To Win like every other RPG, though. :D (while the D-Pad is used to select menu options, it still allows to press A for selecting the menu options to "attack", "weapon" and "yes" for confirming turn selection)
though most fights are too tough or too tricky to consistently rely on this strategy. magic is crucial in this game, and the difficulty is noticeably higher than your standard FF-fare.
on a side note, i never really understood why they localised the name in such an odd manner. like, it's got nothing to do with anything. 'quest' is dubious at best, albeit somewhat understandable, but i can't think of a single instance where the word 'paladin' is being used anywhere within the script. it's like they forgot to change some kind of placeholder name or something.

NERV Agent

• EYAH! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2018, 11:47:25 pm »
If you want to get fancier still you can probably slice the wire up and pipe it into something like a teensy or actually I saw custom kits going the other day for people to make arcade controllers from. Some options are screw terminals as well if you are not up to soldering.

That's gonna be quite challenging considering he just recently broke his arm and can't use one of his hands. ::)
Pen Pen Toblerone Vomit is waifu of the year.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2018, 05:21:02 am »
That's gonna be quite challenging considering he just recently broke his arm and can't use one of his hands. ::)

I don't know to what extent said arm is restrained. Sometimes it is not good for it to be there and extended for 5 hours to play a game but can be moved for 20 minutes to sort something, else it might also be that the plastic wrap comes over the thumb and makes it hard to hold a controller.
At the same time it might take a bit longer but I have put together a few wired items one handed, upside down and in the dark. While two hands, or indeed three hands, is preferable for a lot of electronics fiddling you can still clamp things to the bench, change to a driver, unscrew, insert stripped wire, possibly make efforts to hold wire in, change back to driver and tighten. Would I do that for a 60 wire setup I am charging for? Probably not. Would I do that for a max 6 wire foot pedal setup, all while knowing it will be useful to me personally over the coming weeks and weeks of boredom? You bet.

Equally while getting someone to play a game for you might be a bit decadent you can probably make doe eyes and gingerly lift the busted arm (possibly with a few false starts) at someone that knows how to solder/turn a screwdriver and sort it that way.

Forgot to mention last time. If you are playing via emulation you might also be able to buy a wii joycon adapter (or a whole wiimote + a bluetooth adapter if necessary). I don't know how easy it will be to sort their internal motion/tilt sensors but they hold well in a hand (holding a controller for hours in one hand with gravity making a notable torque, have an analogue, a few buttons and possibly even a few premade scripts for things.

Sara-chan

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Only one "Human"
    • View Profile
    • Sara's Homepage
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2018, 06:54:10 pm »
Suikoden 1, 2, and 4 are playable with only the left-hand, similar to Earthbound.
Ooh, they said this planet was cold, but it's sooo hot here!

Zynk

• Submission Reviewer
  • WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2018, 07:54:47 pm »
@OP Not an RPG, but this new homebrew game just needs one push button. You control a cat on a rocket.  :laugh:

https://www.romhacking.net/homebrew/97/

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2018, 12:43:17 am »
Not the platforms you're looking for, but the GBA Pokemon games have a button mode in the options which turns L into A, meaning you can play them all with your left hand (especially with the original model, which has the Start and Select buttons on the same side).

This applies to the GBA ones only I believe, however any hack on these games' engine will also have the option.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 10:41:38 pm by Chronosplit »

Spooniest

• Restricted Access
  • Madge, I want your body! 'harry your a beast!11'
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2018, 12:34:46 pm »
Super Mario Brothers has only two function buttons you know. If you wanted to stretch your brain a bit, you could use an emulator and configure the A and B buttons as you see fit to the L1/L2 keys of an appropriate input device, and attempt to play it one handed. Sonic the hedgehog only has one button, that seems like it'd be even easier.

I mean it'd probably weird your brain out for a while, but it could be done. Megaman too, and Castlevania, any kind of game where you only need 3 buttons, I'd suppose, since all you'll be able to reach for the time being is L1/L2 and select.

Hope your arm gets better.

SleepyFist

• We're not goin broke Mario, we're already there.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2018, 05:31:50 pm »
Oh yeah, that reminds me, with creative key re-bindings the Classic Duke Nukem and probably several other Apogee titles from the time can be mapped to use just the arrow keys and a few surrounding buttons, I played it this way awhile back for the hell of it and it works perfectly fine once you get over the muscular confusion.

I think the crux of it might have been to map jump to ctrl and fire to the unused down button but I don't remember clearly.
Sleepy's Album of the week|| Pluto Trio: Still A Planet|| https://youtu.be/4u-mp0WgyDg

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2018, 07:55:51 pm »
Mario Paint.

Naniyue

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2018, 04:54:25 am »
There actually was a one-handed controller for the original Playstation, but I don't think it faired very well.