News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Super Mario Bros Famicom Hack? (Problem)  (Read 2625 times)

Leviathan88

• View Profile
Super Mario Bros Famicom Hack? (Problem)
« on: February 12, 2018, 11:04:19 pm »
Hello, I've been trying to patch my Super Mario Bros. Famicom rom with this "Double Trouble" Hack. No matter how many times I try, & with several different files. It doesn't ever seem to work. I messaged the creator, but haven't gotten a response yet. Perhaps yall can help me out? Hopefully it works with my Everdrive N8 as well. Thank you!

Double Trouble:

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1515/

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Super Mario Bros Famicom Hack? (Problem)
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 11:48:11 pm »
The page says you need "Super Mario Bros. (1985)(Nintendo)(J).fds".  (That's the Famicom Disk System version of Mario Bros, if you're not familiar with that.)

Have you been using that file?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Leviathan88

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 01:02:52 am »
Yes, I've used said rom, from multiple sources. I can't even get it to work on an emulator. Can someone test it out & let me know if they see any other results?

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 08:43:00 am »
Does your ROM work without the patch?  Did you check whether the MD5 sum of the ROM you are using matches the one on the page?  You can calculate MD5 sums using WinMD5.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Leviathan88

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 11:19:52 am »
Yes, my roms work without the patch. About the MD5, I was unaware of this aspect of patching. However, I've been testing multiple roms & none of the numbers match up. If anyone can help me find the correct rom, that would be greatly appreciated! 

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 11:54:43 am »
FDS games can optionally have a header (it is 16 bytes: "FDS", a 1A character, and the number of disk sides, then the rest are zeroes).
You would need to use a hex editor with cut and paste functions to add or remove it.
(a 1-side FDS ROM will be 65,500 bytes without a header or 65,516 bytes with it)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Leviathan88

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 05:11:38 pm »
I've downloaded the cygnus hex editor. I looked through the file & couldn't find a line of code that matched those details. I've never used this program before; I feel like I'm doing something wrong.

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 11:53:15 pm »
Fine, you win.  I had a look for myself.

I did a Google search for "Super Mario Bros. (1985)(Nintendo)(J).fds" without the quotes, and the first hit provided a download for a ROM that was 65,516 bytes and had the MD5 sum listed on the page.  I have no idea what ROMs you may have been testing that do not match up.  The patch applied perfectly.

If your ROM is missing a header, then your ROM will be 65,500 bytes.  If your ROM is already 65,516 bytes then you are having some other problem.

If you want to add a header, then you can use your hex editor to copy any 16 bytes of the file and paste them at the start of your ROM to make the file 65,516 bytes in length.  It makes no difference what those 16 bytes contain in this case.

Leviathan88

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 01:59:02 am »
Yeah sorry, I ended up finding it earlier today too. Thanks for the help, guys!